Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yellow Jackets inside

i have discovered a Yellow Jackets nest inside my trailer. They enter and exit through a rivet sized hole in the curb side wheel well. Which puts it under the kitchen sink. They've not found their way into the living space.... yet. Not sure how to deal with them. Sprays for bees/wasps are made to shoot long distances. Not into small holes. Closing the hole I'm afraid will encourage them to find the living space.
Normally I'd wait till dark, gas'em and walk away. Not sure my insurance company will understand if I do that this time. Suggestions???
candosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
My advice? Hire a pro. I won't mess with Yellow Jackets any longer. Too mean. Last time I tangled with them they won.

Besides, they are in a hard to get at spot, it's not like they are out in the open with only a couple entrances to worry about.

YMMV.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Open all cabinets, drawers and doors. Set off several big bombs and run.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Richland , Washington
I've never dealt with wasps or yellowjackets in a trailer. I've had lots of them in garden sheds, trees, attics, chicken coops and ground nests. One of the best ways to get them is a powerful shop vac. Get some ~6" long strips of duct tape ready. Fire up the shop vac, suck 'em up and get them all, then quickly shut off the vacuum and seal all the holes (suction, discharge, etc.) with duct tape. Leave the vac out in the hot sun for a day or so. Be sure to plug the entrance hole in the trailer.

Here's another way - get a can of wasp spray and get down by the entrance. They can probably only come out one a time. Shoot a little spray in the hole and they will come out, mad as hornets. Shoot 'em down one by one as they exit. They may not all come out, but you will thin the herd a good bit. Then at night hit the nest inside.

Good luck!
JohnBarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBarth View Post
I've never dealt with wasps or yellowjackets in a trailer. I've had lots of them in garden sheds, trees, attics, chicken coops and ground nests. One of the best ways to get them is a powerful shop vac. Get some ~6" long strips of duct tape ready. Fire up the shop vac, suck 'em up and get them all, then quickly shut off the vacuum and seal all the holes (suction, discharge, etc.) with duct tape. Leave the vac out in the hot sun for a day or so. Be sure to plug the entrance hole in the trailer.

Here's another way - get a can of wasp spray and get down by the entrance. They can probably only come out one a time. Shoot a little spray in the hole and they will come out, mad as hornets. Shoot 'em down one by one as they exit. They may not all come out, but you will thin the herd a good bit. Then at night hit the nest inside.

Good luck!
I second the shop vac solution! Might need to let it run from sunrise to sunset ... then observe the next day and see if you need to run it longer. You're not looking to suck them out of the hole, but rather, suck them from the side, while in flight, to/from the entrance hole. Good luck! Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
Bengal Wasp Spay. Every time I've used their Roach Spay I have been amazed at how well it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	272747  
Paul Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
No problem. Buy two cans of wasp spray, pull up a chair, and count. The incoming wasp will not bother you. They are focused on delivering their payload to the nest. The ones coming out, that's a different story, their trying to get you. The nest start small around 10 wasp in the spring, as the summer ends can be as much as 300 wasps. The show with turtleman had a nest that filled 1/3 of a 8x6 shed 1000s of wasp. Do not smoke... the spray is flammable. The average time is about a hour. A bathing suit is not the proper attire for spraying wasps. Happy hunting
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I use spray brake and parts cleaner when it hits them instant death, pyreene fire extingisher fluid same way but no longer avble. I never have had any luck w/ other sprays. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Cant wait to hear how it went
Save
Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Following this here and on the Addicts FB page. So you've decided against my advice to burn your trailer down?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Do all of the above. After that my personal defense is to have a tennis racket in hand. Helps even up the odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
If they are yellow jackets, as opposed to honey bees, They all return to the nest after dark. Don't mess with them in the day light, I know this. You can wasp spray into the opening, you can wait until winter and they die, You can suck them up a vacuum. But do it at night.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #13
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
So how did it go?
Save
Old 11-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
When I got a nest of yellow jackets in my furnace I drove the trailer to a couple different locations over a few days. They can't find home if you move it. Eventually they will be gone.

another thread - simalar subject:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ce-137369.html
Old 11-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Well, here we are mid/late November. Stupid things still flying around. We've even had some 20° nights now. Tried the brake cleaner, they pretty much laughed at me. Even left some windows open, hoping it would lower the temp inside enough to kill them. And they're in the living space now too. Need to winterize, but nest is below/behind kitchen sink.
Hole they access is too small for wasp spray to go through so unfortunately that won't work. And yes, always wait till at least dusk when rheyre all back home. Airhed's suggestion is really starting to appeal to me. Other than then I won't have an Airstream. ��
candosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by candosam View Post
Well, here we are mid/late November. Stupid things still flying around. We've even had some 20° nights now. Tried the brake cleaner, they pretty much laughed at me. Even left some windows open, hoping it would lower the temp inside enough to kill them. And they're in the living space now too. Need to winterize, but nest is below/behind kitchen sink.
Hole they access is too small for wasp spray to go through so unfortunately that won't work. And yes, always wait till at least dusk when rheyre all back home. Airhed's suggestion is really starting to appeal to me. Other than then I won't have an Airstream. ��
I'm very allergic to them, almost killed me once. I wait till night time then spray the nest with a full can of wasp spray. I would open under the sink in the dark, then shoot them from a good distance. Then run. They will fly towards a flashlight at night so don't do that. I've also been able to use the entrance hole to wet the nest down from outside and kill them. I used to wear my full fire gear and go at them like that. They couldn't sting through it.

Be very careful with the vacuum cleaner trick. They can live for days and will be very pissed if they get out. Screw all the humane and enviro friendly stuff too. Use chemicals. If you aren't allergic you can become allergic with a few stings.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Along the same idea as the shop vac, I had the same problem in the wall of my house, used a Worx leaf blower/mulcher, left the 4" opening of the mulcher setup next to the hole, sat and watched everything that came in or out get sucked in with no getting by it, left it for about 6 hours when it was done the bag looked liked I'd dumped a pepper shaker in it, little pieces.
Set it up before dawn for most congested traffic
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:00 AM   #18
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Sulfer To Fumigate Trailer

If you don't like wasps/spiders/and other critters.... just put a small amount of sulfer (sulphur, brimstone) in a coffee can or on a pie pan. Light it and let it smoke inside the enclosed trailer ... it gets rid of the pests. But, please be very careful, it's sulfur. Just like whats on a match. It catches fire quickly. Don't breath to much of it and dont leave it unattended. After it has burned out, leave the trailer for about 12 hours to air out. Not only will it kill the bees it will get rid of any mildew too. I remember it being available at farm supply stores, but not sure any more, but it is available on line. It is also used by folks who want to make their own black powder.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #19
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by candosam View Post
I promise you'll be pleased. Go to youtube and search for:

matthias wasp sucking machine

He's got two videos ... one is just the original and the second is the XL version. There are many other videos of the same process on youtube. The process works ... it's easy and highly effective ... Please take pics and get back with your story! :-)

And you'll have discovered Matthias ... I find all of his videos entertaining (and informative ... I've even built his gear-driven box joint sled and it works awesome!).

Take care,
Rich
Save