Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Talking www.tincanluv.com

Wow! How exciting for us. LOL. I bought a cheap web design ket at Best Buy yesterday to play with since the only option on the television was Superbowl, or sappy drama marathons. A few hours later We had us a website!

It's crazy to look at, as I was just trying it out, didn't expect it to work so darn fast! It needs a lot of changes, and I have to figure out how to get rid of that music, (just playing around), and add a few more pages...but Oh My Goodness, we have a website....

Check it out....

Thanks Ron and Tony!
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
New Webiste

Ron,
Congratulations on your neat website! I love it.
But please do something about the music. I thought my hard drive was dying with all the clicking and clacking.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Oh my god, I'm laughing SO hard. I don't know what I was thinking. I wanted something funky, and well it needs to go....

Thanks though, just a rough draft....very rough.

Ron
Old 02-02-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Yeah!

Congratulations on your third rivet!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Talking Congratulations!

Isn't all this technology great?
Except of course in our old airstreams!
Old 02-02-2004, 03:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
It's awesome, It just ticks me off that I created a website, in three hours yesterday, and today, after four hours, I wasn't able to figure out how to create an animated avitar.....
Old 02-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice site....congrat on the 3rd rivet too!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Don -- that is clapping. Minnesota's most widely played polka* is always accompanied by clapping! (*the Minnesota Golden Gopher Rouser or fight song is a polka y'all)

tcl -- see How To Animate Your Avatar for some ideas. My knockoff of a 22' CCD and a Southwest Airlines Shamu theme was worked out in Paint (bitmap). Graphic Convertor from http://www.graphic-converter.net/ cost me about $19 and allows one to change between formats. I changed the .bmp file to .jpg and used some photo software to change it to a size for an avatar. Using Graphic Convertor again I changed that into a .gif file.

I'd read about unFREEz being very easy to use to convert .gif files to animation. I googled until I found http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unfreez/ and that seemed pretty secure to me.

Try it -- it'll keep you up nights!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:44 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Ron & Tony! Thumbs up for the website. Do you guys know how lucky you are to have found two AS in a week?! Not that I blame you, if I ran across any around here and could scrape up the money I'd drag every one I could find home too. Love your Safari, reminds me of home (our Caravel). Enjoy!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Thanks Bob! I'll have to try that out. If I get too confused I give up though. I'll have to try that out. I just want to make my hand wave, thought it would be simple.

i actually followed the how to animate an avatar, but didn't get very far. Will try it again.

you guys are all great!!!

Thanks for the comments on the website. I'm having fun working on the next less anoying one....

Ron & TOny
Old 02-02-2004, 09:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Using Graphic Convertor again I changed that into a .gif file.
This looks short on info. I created 4 individual images that would be used as frames in unFREEz. When I used the latter to string together the animation, I ran those frames in sequence 1-2-3-4-3-2-1. (I could have done it in sequence 1-2-3-4-3-2 -- you'll get it pretty easily if you play around) You get to set the delay between each frame in order to make the animation proceed at the speed you like.

Allowed avatar size is the same as thumbnails at AirstreamPhotos.com -- which is 100 x 75 pixels.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:51 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Ron, Don't consider yourself a web expert just yet. When I clicked the Contact Us button on your site the mail-to address shows up as "your@address.here." I assume that's the default in the software you purchased. You need to change the "mailto:" string to your real e-mail address so people can contact you.

Other than that, the site looks very nice. Fortunately, my speakers are playing the satellite TV feed, so I didn't hear any music from your site. If you haven't done so already, please delete the music. Web sites that play music for no reason are cheesy, and the music is invariably nothing more than a waste of bandwidth.

Keep it simple.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
I have to say, I get irritated when I go to Inlands sight. The music doesn't do anything for me....NO OFFENSE!!!

I figured there would be a glitch somewhere. Actually, give me a couple days, I have a replacement in the works. Without music.

Web expert...HAHAHAHA. Although my entire life has been converted from redoing my house (I rehabed it after I bought it two years ago, and have completely redone at least 3 rooms. I get bored.) and being a couch potato, to a computer freak, who's main focus is airstreamforums.com..

I love it here.... Hope I don't get voted out
Old 02-02-2004, 10:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Good Job on 1st Web Site

Y'all have a lot of 'spunk'. It is encouraging to see the effort y'all are putting into your new found 'hobby?!"/life-style. It took us years to find something as enjoyable as A/S trailering, hope you enjoy it as much as the years go by.

To paraphrase Big Dee "Life is short, the road is long, what are you waiting for"...that is our own twist....
-Ed
P.S.: Lose the music!!!!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:47 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
After looking a bit more closely at your site, I have to sugest you change the background on the Current Projects page. That pink with light blue dots is too hard on the eyes.

Have fun with those tin cans.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:18 AM   #16
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Ron and Tony.

For a first, or even a 10th attempt at doing a website, I have to say it is really nice. I had music on my site. Some Charlie Parker or something like that. Who doesn't like PArker, right?

Turns out that there are people that don't.
My point is that you will never appeal to everyone with a choice of "sound" for a web site, which is why I decided to make my site silent.

Either way, I have you "bookmarked", and look forward to additions....

Cheers.

Jonathan