Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2004, 06:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
North Branford , Connecticut
Wrap-around windows on NEW Safari?

Before I ask a dealer, I thought I'd throw out this question. How amenable is the factory to doing custom work on an ordered unit?

I really like the 28' SO's floor plan and furniture, but hate the teeny front window. I'm wondering if the factory would install CCD or, better still, Classic front windows.

Any thoughts?
stephen.s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:08 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If it's a standard production unit being built off the main line, the answer would be no way. How do I know? Back last October I asked the factory directly a similar window question when I ordered our Safari and was told if I wanted any of the Classic windows, I need to buy a CCD or Classic.

BTW, I believe the CCD and Classic front wrap around windows are the same.

Airstream does have a custom coach building sort of department. The do build custom coached taylored to individual needs/wants. However, expect to pay a beyond premium price on top of the cost of the standard coach off the line.

One side note is that the windows on the current Safaris are not all that great. One thing that I can't understand is the window thing on the Airstream lines. What I'm getting at is that Airstream has a reputation and all the coaches cost a pretty penny. None of these units new are inexp. I can understand and fully support and accept the fact that if you want the real wood interiors, you need a Classic. If you want the Euro look, you need a CCD. However, one of my main gripes is the window situations. I feel that the Classic/CCD window design is a vintage looking thing. The shells on a Classic and CCD are identical. Why not lessen the internal rib work and make an Airstream and Airstream and stop putting the cheapo windows on by making the retro windows across the board? Vista views could still be an option, but the core window IMHO should be the same. I mean Airstream is bringing back lots of the vintage stuff, why not make life easier for thier customers and their line workers. Standard Airstream retro "Classic" windows across the board.

Anyway..soapbox off....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
Craftsman

When thinking about a new Classic I asked the factory if they would install an opening window with the oval window below it to the left of the door ( thats a fixed unit). They said there would be an up charge but they would do it. I also asked about carpeting through out, and I got the same answer.
Jack
Old 07-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That might be the case if you are staying within models that offer it (classic style windows), however, unless things have changed since last October, they will not modify the Safari line (which I was under the impression he was talking about) to Classic components.

As far as carpeting, Airstream was very open to whatever I wanted and would assume they would be that way for any model, but I didn't think he was asking about the carpets.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote