Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Wonderin' about magazines

Hello to all.

We bought our 2002 Bambi last October and it's been sitting quietly in storage ever since. The 'travel season' is just around the corner and I was wondering about all the magazines which are available. There's one called 'Airstream Life' among myriad other choices.

Which ones do you all like the best, if any?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
If you're a "Diggit", Airstream Life is a must as part of your periodicals. I also subscribe to Trailer Life and enjoy this magazine every month.

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Airstream Life is my fav. High quality pics and interesting articles.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Muddy! The rally season is just around the corner too - like in about two weeks You should pull that baby out of storage and come meet us at South Beach for the seafood festival. No need to wait until GOOD weather to get the trailer out!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Woodall's started as a monthly subscription about trailering. I recently purchased 2 1/2 years worth off e-bay and am having a great time reading about trailering back in 1965-66-67. The ads are often the best part. Airstream Life is a must read - it comes out once per quarter, not nearly often enough. Trailer Life is a monthly that has great articles about places to go and places to see. I really like their Campground Guide and their new RV Atlas with trailer camping areas indicated. I also use Woodall's Campground Guide and Frommer's Guide to the Best Campgrounds in the US. Between the three of them, I usually find a nice place to spend the night.
Prodigy Brake Controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Airstream Life 4 sure.
I also enjoy "Arizona Highways"

Safe travels!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I also have a lifetime subscription (it's a legacy thing) to Northeast Outdoors, a quarterly newspaper type of magazine - not glossy. I see them for free in stacks at campground offices. It's put out by Woodalls, but I don't know if it's a regional thing where main articles are compiled along with local interests for targeted distribution. Is there a Northwest or Midwest or Southeast Outdoors?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Hi Muddy! The rally season is just around the corner too - like in about two weeks You should pull that baby out of storage and come meet us at South Beach for the seafood festival. No need to wait until GOOD weather to get the trailer out!
Hi, Stef. Our problem is the Siskiyou Pass here in beautiful southern Oregon. When things get remotely ugly, ODOT likes to close it. Either that or chains are required to drive through it. NorCal is pretty iffy along the I-5 down through Yreka. Once it looks like we won't get stuck, we'll venture out. (We're chicken in nice weather too though; who am I kidding?).
Old 02-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Stef, I just realized you're in WA and must be referring to somewhere north of us. My excuse for not venturing out in that direction is the Sexton Mountain Pass. It's not as notorious as the Siskiyou but once I hear the word 'chains' I go into a catatonic state.

Thanks to all for the magazine suggestions. I'll head on over to the A/S Magazine website and have a looksee. We have a few RV books which are great but mag's are a nice way to keep up with what's current.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Airstream Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters
Hello to all.

We bought our 2002 Bambi last October and it's been sitting quietly in storage ever since. The 'travel season' is just around the corner and I was wondering about all the magazines which are available. There's one called 'Airstream Life' among myriad other choices.

Which ones do you all like the best, if any?
Airstream Life, IMHO is not worth the paper it's written on. perhaps if they screened their advertisers (in fairness, i won't name names) a tad more, there might be SOME credibility in the rag. Id accept it, only if it were free.

thumbs down... don't waste your money.

kevin
Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Um, Kevin - are you sure you didn't mean the "Blue Beret" rather than "Airstream Life"? But then I've always been a guy that goes for pictures. And awaiting with bated breath the first centerfold.

Or are you equal opportunizing this?

Pat
Old 02-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Greetings Muddy Waters-

Just like you we can't wait to get back on the road again. We already have five planned rallies and a few long haul trips planed for the '08 season. There are a bunch a magazines out there some good, some great. Your best bet is to cruise your local large book store and pick up one of each and then see which ones meet your needs. Now I may be a bit sided on Kevin's opion, but Airstream Life is a wonderful publication which comes out quarterly. Being one of the editors I take a lot of pride in the work we do. I am proud of the hard work all my fellow writers and photogrphers put into each issue and I believe that the magazine is a true reflection of the Airstream life style both present and past. It is available in Borders and Barns & Noble book stores. If you would like send me a PM and I will be happy to mail out a copy to you to review if you want.

Rick
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters
Stef, I just realized you're in WA and must be referring to somewhere north of us. My excuse for not venturing out in that direction is the Sexton Mountain Pass. It's not as notorious as the Siskiyou but once I hear the word 'chains' I go into a catatonic state.
I don't blame you! I don't venture out once the weather turns either! In fact we were in Ashland in October (we always stay at Emmigrant Lake) and wanted to drive down to Mt Shasta and a storm whipped up and the weather turned scary pretty fast, we turned around and headed back to Ashland!

Norcal Bambi is down in Yreka, and they manage to get out and brave the weather, I don't know how they do it! I think they'll be joining us for the rally at South Beach Oregon for the Seafood Festival in a couple weeks. But don't worry, there's lots of great rallys when the weather is nice too!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Stefroberts

Thanks for the support, Stef. We feel pretty wimpy about it but it's nice to know we really are just being sensible.

The weather is beginning to look nice. Once our grandson arrives in early April, we'll be able to plan something. Babies aren't exactly famous for being cooperative so we'll just have to await his pleasure in arriving!

Will be watching the forum for upcoming rallies and events and will post on here when we stick our toes in the water and drag the durn thing out of mothballs.

k