Old 04-02-2003, 12:49 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

alt

Since I went through the process you are going through only very recently, I thought I would mention all the resources you could use to find the perfect unit.

http://www.thriftynickelads.com/
http://www.airforums.com/
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/
http://rvsellersonline.com/
http://airstream.net
http://usedairstreams.com
http://www.abracat.com

ebay.com is another resource.

Your local newspapers on-line.

Then there are these local "for-sale" type papers.

I am sure you will find something sooner or later.

Old 04-02-2003, 10:30 AM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My best move so far has been posting a wanted ad to the airstream classifieds. I got quite a few leads right in my region, or people willing to drag theirs out to my area. None of them have panned out yet, but I'm being choosy about finding exactly what I want. I'm looking for a 20ft Argosy, but if I were willing to move up to a 22-24 ft trailer, I would have a trailer by now. But anyway, posting that wanted ad brought quite a few out of the woodwork that I hadn't seen advertised anywhere else.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:31 AM   #31

An other thing you can do is email RV dealers in the States you are willing to travel to. Gathering of those emails is very time consuming. It's a long shot, but worth a try.
A very few % will be listed in some links. (they pay/they get full listing)
Unfortunately, a lot of them with web sites and emails are not listed, but you can always start here:

RV America

RVer Search

RVNet Linx

Directory of RV, Truck, & Auto Dealers

There are a lot more like that. Listing of this type must exist for Canada too.

Good hunting.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:14 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
I purchased my Airstream all by myself with the aid of my computer and telephone. I was constrained as to the size by my tow vehicle and don’t have the ability or the desire to restore an older trailer so my search criteria were pretty narrow. I searched many internet sites for Airstream ads and also contacted numerous dealers for price quotes on new models.

I was surprised by the number of dealers who never responded to my e-mail or phone messages. Perhaps they thought that a woman wasn’t really going to make a purchase and it wasn’t worth their time to respond. Silly of them. I was willing to travel in order to get a better deal so I wasn’t restricted by location. Fortunately I got the best deal at the closest dealership to my home

I called the dealership and spoke to a salesman and made tentative arrangements to visit and take a look at their inventory. I told the salesman that I was really just in the looking phase and had actually never been in an Airstream trailer and was coming to satisfy my curiosity. He was very gracious and said that I was more than welcome to come and “just have a look.” Based on the tow rating of my vehicle he recommended one of three models (one 19’ and two 22’) stating that trying to pull anything bigger wouldn’t be safe. I had done my research and already new this, and wondered if he would try to sell me on something larger and more expensive. He then gave me a very informative tour of all three vehicles. He was easy-going and at the same time very professional and was never once condescending especially considering that I was just there to look. I made up my mind right there and left a first time Airstream and travel trailer owner.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt

When I pointed out to the last seller that one of the windows had not only 'moisture' (as he called it) trapped in it - but enough water that I suggested that he add fish and list it as a feature - a built in aquarium! He, in a huff, replied that if I didn't like 'looking at the window' I could just keep the blind closed! - punctuating his sentence by yanking the blind down and changing the subject. This after I had had to sweet talk him into unlocking the trailer to let me inside - no joke, he told me to just look in the windows!
HAHAHA....i like your style....you didnt want that schmucks buggy anyhow....arm yourself with knowledge and be assertive....be yourself, because you cant be another femuse.....if you do , you will have to change your username from alt to cobra.....
fabulous norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
doh!...i see i replied to a rather old post....alt, i hope you are now a proud owner...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote