Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Withdrawal

I'm going through AS withdrawal and my trailer has only been stored for about 1 month!!! Anyone else feelin the pain?????
mwilliamsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
We are just getting ready to head south in our little Bambi.
No sadness here!
Just anticipation....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
We got ours in February and have taken only 4 trips, all close to home. The plan was to take off for a week at a time but the longest we made was 4 nights. We made other trips but not with the AS. We were in Florida for 2 weeks, which was very nice in September.

In October we were going to Washington DC and my mother in law came for 2 weeks, stayed 2 months. I went back to work, supposedly part-time, turned out to be more than full time.

I was so discouraged that at the first frost I winterized and stored it. I'm not in AS withdrawal, I'm in total discouragement!

Rich
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Our season starts in February and ended Nov 8 this year ... seems like an eternity since we were out camping. Good thing is that we can go out in the yard and pet it whenever the withdrawal gets too bad ... or blow off the accumulated snow ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Ever since I bought my Airstream, I've gone camping for every single Federal holiday weekend. Until Veterans Day this year. Veterans Day fell on a Tuesday, Thanksgiving always falls on a Thursday, and this year both Christmas and New Year's Day fall on Thursdays, too. Since I'm saving up my leave time at work to cash it out when I retire, I didn't take any extra time off to give myself four-day weekends, so I haven't camped in my Airstream since mid-October!

If I treated a girlfriend the way I'm treating my Airstream right now, I'd have been kicked to the curb ages ago. Fortunately, my Airstream is very forgiving and patient, and will let me make it up in January after I retire, when I'll be camping at Canopener 2015 and the WBCCI Midwinter IBT.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Ever since I bought my Airstream, I've gone camping for every single Federal holiday weekend. Until Veterans Day this year. Veterans Day fell on a Tuesday, Thanksgiving always falls on a Thursday, and this year both Christmas and New Year's Day fall on Thursdays, too. Since I'm saving up my leave time at work to cash it out when I retire, I didn't take any extra time off to give myself four-day weekends, so I haven't camped in my Airstream since mid-October!

If I treated a girlfriend the way I'm treating my Airstream right now, I'd have been kicked to the curb ages ago. Fortunately, my Airstream is very forgiving and patient, and will let me make it up in January after I retire, when I'll be camping at Canopener 2015 and the WBCCI Midwinter IBT.

Congratulations on your retirement! It's really a good life if you are an Airstreamer. Both SuEllyn and I are retired Federal Government employees and did the same thing with our leave that last working year.

There is no Airstream withdrawal when you can go whenever you please, and get paid for not showing up.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
I wish we could store our winterized AS at home - I'd be tempted to dry-camp in the winter, but we pay a good amount for indoor storage and it is packed in with a hundred other trailers. I miss her and can't wait to start planning for 2015 camping.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We are very fortunate that when we are at home, we can store Lucy in the alley behind the house. There is not a day that goes by that we do not spend some time in Lucy.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 12-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm fixin' to fix my withdrawal, and run away....in my home away from home.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Feel it every winter!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I'm feeling the withdrawl big time. We took a Haloween trip to the Tetons, then came back and winterized the AS. There's already a good bit of snow in the Bighorns and many of the roads are closed. So there will be no weekend trips for us. So now I check this forum every few minutes to see if anything interesting has popped up. Then I think about the trips next year. I'm so jealous of you folks down south (Brian and SuEllyn).

It's not even winter yet and I'm already tired of winter!
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Feel it every winter!
Me too

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Yup, I know why Snowbirds go south for the winter. Too bad I can't go with them.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
We got ours in February and have taken only 4 trips, all close to home. The plan was to take off for a week at a time but the longest we made was 4 nights. We made other trips but not with the AS. We were in Florida for 2 weeks, which was very nice in September.

In October we were going to Washington DC and my mother in law came for 2 weeks, stayed 2 months. I went back to work, supposedly part-time, turned out to be more than full time.

I was so discouraged that at the first frost I winterized and stored it. I'm not in AS withdrawal, I'm in total discouragement!

Rich
I feel your pain. In two respects being long divorced has been a boon - no in-laws and no life partner whose needs and wishes should be respected or accommodated. Of course there's also no one to squash the truly icky bugs or clean the fish I catch... Even as a single person, sometimes it's hard to say "NO" or "ENOUGH" but if you're taken advantage of it's ultimately because you fail to set limits. Or more kindly - you fail to help others clarify their expectations. I've been caught off guard and roped into stuff my sane self would never agree to... and I've finally figured out that I actually can call back and "renege" or "break my promise." You caught me off-guard and frankly if I'd been prepared I would have said "NO" right off the bat. I know you're disappointed but I just don't want to do___________. (Compromise offered only if I am truly willing to do less or something else.) Anyone who turns mean or threatens to never speak to me again? "Yes, I do understand how your really feel. Goodbye."

When I moved from chilly northern Ohio to Virginia Beach - I had friends (and often casual acquaintances who suddenly found a deep and abiding affection for me) who all seemed to feel entitled to come and visit for indefinite periods of time. Most of them also didn't have any plan to buy groceries or even do their own laundry (IE: MY beach towels). I got suckered in twice. After than when anyone called and announced that they'd be visiting and staying with me, I pulled out one of the "Dear Abby" defenses.
  • (truly welcome people) I'll be glad to provide you with sleeping quarters for X days, but I have other plans after that. You're welcome to stay til then, but I can't take off work and drive you around or provide your meals. (and the real friends did leave the place as clean as they found it.)
  • ("thrifty" boors, and other obnoxious types) I am sorry, I'm doing some remodeling and everything I own is piled in one room, but I'll be happy to look around and find you a nice hotel. How much can you afford per night?"
  • (putative mother in-law) "Mom, just so you know, we've already made reservations and are leaving town on such and such a date. We will need one to two days to pack, so make sure your plans include leaving by _____,
    (then the hard one when asked if can't reschedule ) NO. and say nothing else. no excuses, no reasons, no negotiation.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
I'm feeling the withdrawl big time. We took a Haloween trip to the Tetons, then came back and winterized the AS. There's already a good bit of snow in the Bighorns and many of the roads are closed. So there will be no weekend trips for us. So now I check this forum every few minutes to see if anything interesting has popped up. Then I think about the trips next year. I'm so jealous of you folks down south (Brian and SuEllyn).

It's not even winter yet and I'm already tired of winter!
Funny you should mention us, Brent. I write this as we are having lunch at a restaurant in Tarpon Springs. Lucy is camped over in Zephyrhills.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 12-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post

In October we were going to Washington DC and my mother in law came for 2 weeks, stayed 2 months.

Rich
Man - that would be discouraging.........
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I feel your pain. In two respects being long divorced has been a boon - no in-laws and no life partner whose needs and wishes should be respected or accommodated. Of course there's also no one to squash the truly icky bugs or clean the fish I catch... Even as a single person, sometimes it's hard to say "NO" or "ENOUGH" but if you're taken advantage of it's ultimately because you fail to set limits. Or more kindly - you fail to help others clarify their expectations. I've been caught off guard and roped into stuff my sane self would never agree to... and I've finally figured out that I actually can call back and "renege" or "break my promise." You caught me off-guard and frankly if I'd been prepared I would have said "NO" right off the bat. I know you're disappointed but I just don't want to do___________. (Compromise offered only if I am truly willing to do less or something else.) Anyone who turns mean or threatens to never speak to me again? "Yes, I do understand how your really feel. Goodbye."

When I moved from chilly northern Ohio to Virginia Beach - I had friends (and often casual acquaintances who suddenly found a deep and abiding affection for me) who all seemed to feel entitled to come and visit for indefinite periods of time. Most of them also didn't have any plan to buy groceries or even do their own laundry (IE: MY beach towels). I got suckered in twice. After than when anyone called and announced that they'd be visiting and staying with me, I pulled out one of the "Dear Abby" defenses.
  • (truly welcome people) I'll be glad to provide you with sleeping quarters for X days, but I have other plans after that. You're welcome to stay til then, but I can't take off work and drive you around or provide your meals. (and the real friends did leave the place as clean as they found it.)
  • ("thrifty" boors, and other obnoxious types) I am sorry, I'm doing some remodeling and everything I own is piled in one room, but I'll be happy to look around and find you a nice hotel. How much can you afford per night?"
  • (putative mother in-law) "Mom, just so you know, we've already made reservations and are leaving town on such and such a date. We will need one to two days to pack, so make sure your plans include leaving by _____,
    (then the hard one when asked if can't reschedule ) NO. and say nothing else. no excuses, no reasons, no negotiation.
seriously, sounds like your sector has been invaded by Klingons ...
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Have one more December trip planned then put it away for January, February, out again in March. I do understand the withdrawal.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
We have taken our Airstream to be fitted for awnings. She has only been gone 2 days, but I am already feeling withdrawals. I almost missed my driveway coming home from work yesterday! Didn't know my driveway was that big either! Hopefully we will get her back soon and I can find my way home!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Withdrawal ...continued. So, we have been thinking about putting Christmas lights on Eddie ... or Edie ... not sure if this one is a he or a she; won't check the plumbing until spring thaw!

And, yes, we needed the 4 WD jeep just to get EB up the hill and into our yard because the earlier rains had frozen with a huge drop in temperature. The snow has mitigated a bit for the last few days and we can see parts of our lawn again! Can spring Airstreaming be far off ... YES ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D20_0069.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	228379  
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote