Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Winterizing on a late model Airstream

Is it Really necessary? Plastic lines right? Fittings also?

It will be down to 24 degrees here tonight, I dont want to winterize my 2010 Airstream because we are going to use it next weekend. Plus not going to be that cold the rest of the week.

Just curuios whats the solution?

Turn on the heater and open the cabinet doors?

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
If you want to take the chance. Drain the fresh water tank and water heater also. If you have low point drains on your system open them and open all taps to let air in and lines will drain. Don`t forget toilet and shower. After fresh tank is drained run pump a little to empty it. Leave the heat on (it will cost you more in propane than plumbing antifreeze). Leave the taps open to allow for expansion. Good luck.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Aaaaaahhhhhh winterizing; Well I park it in my driveway, plug in my battery maintainer, and hose it off randomly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 260.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	116905  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi shane,

knot going INTO the procedure 4 winterizing...

since it is in the owners manual and posted here a bunch o'times.

besides, now that its below 32, it's too late for line draining or tank draining.

daytime high was 17 today,

and it will be UNDER 10 degrees tonight in da'hood**

furnace is ON set to 50 degrees,

with one small 700 watt oil/radiator space heater running in the hallway.

the water heater is ON, set to gas.

fresh tank is 3/4 full, waste tanks 3/4 empty.

i expect nuttin 2 freeze, except the exterior waste valves which are closed.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We don't winterize because we rarely hardly ever have a hard freeze in Tucson, and certainly for no prolonged period... We did have one a couple of weeks ago...I turned on the furnace to 40 degrees and left it there all night....we opened the closet doors and drawers and left the hot water heater on. Before we went to bed we ran hot water through all the lines...and we were not hooked up to city water. I turned off the water pump and opened the faucets. It got down to 22 that night be we did not freeze inside or out. Our rig is somewhat protected from the elements, and that helps. I don't worry about 24 degrees unless that is a day time prolonged temperature...and that's just not going ot happen in Tucson.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Shane

While the PEX tubing will withstand repeated freezing and thawing without damage the fittings will not.

Exactly where the point is where winterizing is necessary is tough to gauge because it depends on daytime highs, amount of wind, and so on. 24 degrees is pushing it although obviously if you run the heat you'll be fine.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Thanks, I slept in her last night! In the driveway. I love it!!! No sense on wasting that propane...LOL

I thought the PEX tubing would be ok on the later models, and since the tanks are not full of water, shouldn't worry about that either.

I believe I was worring for nothing, since I live in Texas. An occasional freeze shouldn't hurt anything.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Shane,

It gets plenty cold enough here in the Metroplex to take basic precautions. When it's forecast to be 28 or lower, I open the hot/cold low water drains, drain all the holding tanks, drain the water heater (by letting it siphon out when you open the blow-off valve), open all the taps/shower, press the toilet flush and lay the shower hose on the floor. I then unscrew the pump inlet hose, run the pump for a minute or so.
Now that I'm done with it for a few months, I poured about a cup of RV antifreeze into the kitchen sink traps, bath and shower traps and about a half cup in the toilet bowl last weekend.
When I lived up north, I would blow out the lines as a final step but here in TX, any residual water won't pose a problem. Speaking of residual water, when I put the trailer up for the winter, literally up, as on jack stands, my method of dropping the tongue all the way down coaxes a few dribbles of water out the low point drains.
Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Shane - since you made it through the coldest night so far this winter, you probably already know what you need to do if you want to keep camping this winter.

If the forecast is for below freezing temps, I keep it simple. Set the furnace to 40 degrees and let the heater do the work.

My trailer hasn't been winterized since it left the factory. I use it too much in the winter to bother. I probably help out the propane company a bit with an extra tank or three of their product during TX cold snaps but I'm ready to roll on a moment's notice.

The lowest confirmed temperature I have seen while following this strategy was 11 degrees. Even though the winds were howling that night (gusting to 40), the trailer suffered no ill effects.

I check and then double check to make sure I have power (furnace blower eats a lot of 12v juice) and propane any time cold weather is in the forecast. YMMV though ;-)
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"Propane is cheaper than plumbing"

Gene Cribbs, 2009
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
"Propane is cheaper than plumbing"

Gene Cribbs, 2009
AMEN to that.

And even if the plumbing is fine you WILL screw up inline the filters in the kitchen sink... and some units also have them in the bathroom. Not all that cheap to replace. Pull those out and store inside, and use an air compressor to blow out the joints in the low places.

Paula
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Pink antifreeze is plenty cheap. I pour some in all of the traps. Especially the shower trap since that would be a nightmare to replace.

I take the opportunity to drain the water heater and empty the line to the outside faucet. I open the low point drains and the fresh water tank drain, then blow out the lines. I leave the heat pump on set at 40 degrees, it will change over to furnace if it gets cold enough. I also take out the water pump filter and empty it and clean it. I run the pump briefly without the filter to get water out.

It takes less than 1/2 hour to be sure my plumbing is safe.

My main concern is the occasional ice storm where power may go out and the trailer is hard to get to.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote