Old 12-03-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Winter Driving

I've been reading several Posts by members around the country who still use their trailers late in the season. I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten caught on the road in a snow storm. I drove a Trailer Truck in the past and can remember coming down a hill in a Storm completly empty with cars all around, and the car in front putting on his brakes. I would'nt want to have my family and my Airstream in that situation. Any stories out there.......Al

ajjohnsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2 yrs ago while traveling from SD to WY while going across I-90, I was hit with a wind/snow storm. Needless to say, I found a rest area to hang in until it lifted.

I arrived in Buffalo, WY later that day and ended up there for 4 days because of the wind and the cold temp's. 5 degrees at night.

I grew up in Woburn and it's great to see another Beantown person on board!!

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Was in a snowstorm in Kansas. I didn't have the A/S at the time, just my station wagon fully loaded with snow tires. Lots of snow but it was so heavy, it did just fine at near-highway speeds. Probably not a very wise thing to do looking back at it. Took me forever to cross the state which is long to begin with. I figure that unless visibility is so poor that I cannot see anything, I just keep going, even if only 35mph.

Same night, almost lost control and slid off a hill on a highway entrance off a gas station. Hit the brakes - nothing. The scariest feeling in the world when almost 6000 lbs are involved. RWD does not help. It is not the driving I have a problem with in snow, it is the turning which gets you. All the momentum due to combined weight and speed. Late when I got to Kansas City, suddently saw a car perpendicular to the road, which lost control.
Justice - When you get what you deserve. Mercy - When you don't get what you deserve
Grace - When you get what you don't deserve
ipso_facto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
If there is any possibility of being out in snow or icy conditions, cary chains for both the tow vehicle and the trailer. Know how to use them and do use them if the road surface warrants.

Most storms only last a couple of days to a week and most major roads are quickly cleared of snow after a storm. This means that you should find a place to park when the roads are unsafe. Wait it out if at all possible.

Always check for road conditions before heading over passes and check weather forecasts before every leg of the trip. State DOT will have road conditions numbers and web sites. NOAA has weather forecasts. Itis getting so you can also find webcams for most passes and see what the conditions are like.

Do not get in a hurry when conditions deteriorate. If someone wants to pass you, let them. You can then enjoy the show as they try to maintain control on a slick road. Keep the idiots in front of you and not behind you.

Be prepared. Keep all equipment in top notch condition. Be ready to survive a week off the side of the road. Have emergency communications. Know how to signal distress. Know about hypothermia. Know about carbon monoxide and similar dangers. Keep fuel tanks full.

Drive carefully. Do not do anything more than feather the brakes. Avoid any maneuvers - if something gets in front of you drive over it.

And fill the coffee pot before you go to bed so, if it freezes, you can still have hot coffee in the morning.

see for some ideas and links on keeping warm.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Thanks for the info Bryan, and the stories Ipso and John. Hey John I'm sure your glad your down South everytime you hear of weather like we had this weekend. We had 26". I was lucky we left Thursday night for D.C. Not much snow down there, however I did see quite a few accidents.
ajjohnsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I'm actually torn between missing the sights of a good storm and hating to deal with the driving and other after effects!

My sister lives in Salem, so I still get to bust on her!!!

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
coming home from seattle last month....u.s. 2 started icing up around glacier natl cut bank they didnt even bother to sand the main drag thru town....six hours later i called it quits in you can havre mt. i wish i had thought to take a pix of the a/s but was too cold to think.....

Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote

« New Server | Top | Bed Size »