Old 09-02-2003, 07:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Wingard batwings and holes in the roof

I have read elsewhere in other threads about the possibility of the subject antennas vibrating and possibly causing roof damage.

We were at an RV show in Fort Worth last weekend, and saw many MHs and TTs with the batwings installed. I noticed that on some of these, there was a rubber strip mounted on the underside of the "wingtip", which appeared to me to be a preventative solution to the roof damage problem.

I'm wondering: are such strips now a standard feature of the batwing antenna? Or are they aftermarket add-ons for those antennas? If so, who carries them, and how are they installed (without changing the electrical characteristics of the antenna)?

Anybody got any additional info on this subject?

Old 09-02-2003, 07:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Here is my 2 cents. The guard needs to be on what you want to protect. THe guard you described protects the antenna more then the skin of the coach. If some grit got between the rubber tip and the skin it will act like sand paper to the skin not the rubber bumper.

Best advice I could give you is find something like a nylon/Corian/high density plastic about a 1/4 inch thick and attach it to the skin of the coach under where that bat wing has the potential to hit the skin. You should be able to glue it down with a slicone adheasive or a construction adhesive.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Dave,
The bat wing antenna on the newer Airtsream trailers has a bracket the antenna rests on when in the down or travel position and does not touch the roof. Enjoy your new trailer!
Jim
Old 09-03-2003, 08:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by apple 1
Dave,
The bat wing antenna on the newer Airtsream trailers has a bracket the antenna rests on when in the down or travel position and does not touch the roof. Enjoy your new trailer!
Jim
Great! Good to know that sometimes the little design details get some attention, not just biggies like slideouts, etc.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i had a 78 excella and it had a bat wing antenna . it was a add on installed by the airstream dealer here in huntsville al and that has been a long time past. dont know when airstream exited the local area but it was a few years ago. worked like a champ np roof damage. it lay at a angle on the roof. in the rest position it was above the refer vent . i think it lay on the vent. not sure. the cable went down the refer vent. i have heard that is a no no. lol
al
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 12:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Wingard batwings and holes in the roof
I have read elsewhere in other threads about the possibility of the subject antennas vibrating and possibly causing roof damage.
This thread here may be the one you're speaking of. I addressed the installation of a bat wing on my camper. This thread shows a picture of how I mounted it.

Andy of Inland RV expressed concerned of rubbing a hole in the top but looking at it close (hard to see in the picture) I donít think it can rub. If you try something like this make certain that you get it up high enough so that the wing wonít bounce or vibrate on the surface of the trailer.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote