Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
WiFi antenna for laptop????

Has anyone come up with a super-duper way to have an external antenna for WiFi hotspots...and what products on the market are easily adaptable?

Gail and I use our computers extensively and get frustrated with weak signals inside Ole81.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob and Gail

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Go on ebay and do a search for Alfa Wifi and take your pick. This is not just an antenna but a complete Wifi setup.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole81 View Post
Has anyone come up with a super-duper way to have an external antenna for WiFi hotspots...and what products on the market are easily adaptable?

Gail and I use our computers extensively and get frustrated with weak signals inside Ole81.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob and Gail
Look into: 3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, 3G/4G Antennas, 3G/4G Amplifiers & Boosters, Data Cards, WiFi, Data, IP Switch & CloudCam

I use a lot of their offerings in many of my solar installations. Their advise and tech support is excellent, and their pricing is good too.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
X2 for the Alfa,i have been using one for several years on the boat and it works very well attached to the window in the Argosy withh a suction cup
Old 03-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I've got a roof-mounted TV antenna re-purposed to direct two yagi wifi antennas.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Best Buy has range extenders for about $60. They boost a weak wi fi signal. The aluminum body of your Airstream does a good jog reducing signal strength. And if you are parked next to a giant motor home between you and the campground wi fi antenna, you aren't going to get much of a signal.
I locate the wi fi antenna in the campground and place the range extender in the window of the Airstream in the line of sight of the antenna. I have even placed the range extender on the roof of the AS near a skylight to get a clear shot at the campground antenna if blocked by a motorhome. Just don't leave it out in the rain.
Just because you get a good wi fi signal does not mean that you are going to get streaming internet service. In many campgrounds there is not enough capacity to accommodate all of the users particularly at peak times.
If you have to have reliable internet service at all times, your option is to get a data service from one of the cell phone carriers. You pay for the data and get a little gizmo that plugs into one of the USB ports of your computer and delivers the internet access.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Free WiFi vs. Mobile Broadband

See lengthy discussion in this thread from 2012: WiFiRanger master thread

Alternately, one can use any mobile router that has "WiFi-as-WAN" capability. Basically, this is what the WiFiRanger does; i.e., it uses a WiFi signal (such as free WiFi from McDonalds, Starbucks, or the RV resort/campground office) as the WAN (Internet) connection for your LAN. However, other devices like PepWave and other brands of mobile routers can be used for the same purpose.

The 3Gstore is a good source of information for those unfamiliar with WiFi and mobile broadband equipment, as they offer a wide range of products. And, their Website has links to video demonstrations that help explain how the various devices function. After deciding what works best for you, an Internet search may reveal vendors with cheaper prices. However, I have found 3Gstore products to be competitively priced, and their customer service was very good when we purchased our PepWave SOTG (mobile router) a few years ago.

If you often camp where there is no WiFi signal available, you may wish to investigate mobile broadband (MiFi) devices (like a Verizon jetpack or cellular modem), which use cellphone signals. These are more secure for banking and financial transactions, and are ideal for boondocking. However, the cost of the additional data plan, amplifier and external antenna (if used) will be significantly higher than a mobile router with free WiFi.

Note: I have no affiliation with the 3Gstore other than being a satisfied customer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Thanks for the input...

I also was pointed to this kit by an non-Airstreamer....
JEFA Tech: 15dBi WiFi 2.4GHz Super Long Range Outdoor Omni Antenna.
It will take a hefty support but could solve the problem of being parked between monsters....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010744.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	235271  

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Using unsecured free WIFI spots is akin to leaving your laptop open, logged on, in the mall food court while you shop at a nearby store. These free spots are not encrypted, meaning IDs and passwords for everything you connect to is transmitted in the clear, available to anyone using free, easily downloadable, monitoring software. Everything you do or type can be seen by anyone up to 100' from you with no special equipment. Some hackers have even used their own 'free AT&T or free T-Mobile' etc. WIFI hotspot for you to log into so they can capture your data.

In this case, free may be very expensive. Everyone should read this article before they accept the risk.

Public Wi-Fi use raises hacking risk - ABC News
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole81 View Post
I also was pointed to this kit by an non-Airstreamer....
JEFA Tech: 15dBi WiFi 2.4GHz Super Long Range Outdoor Omni Antenna.
It will take a hefty support but could solve the problem of being parked between monsters....
I have the JEFA installed in my AS and it works great. Attached the omni-directional antenna to the TV mast and ran the coaxial cable down next to the TV cable into the front locker.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote