Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
TT to MH

We started renting MHs out west for a couple of weeks at a time and flying out. Finally wanted our own, had a heavy duty pickup truck and bought a 1966 24' land yacht. Loved it and renovated it. Used it for 8+ years and sold it for every penny spent. Purchased a 77 GMC 26' MH. Renovated it and after 2 years found the sleeping not large enough. Again we sold it this time for a profit. We kept referring to as the airstream and could not help ouselves, sold it and purchased our now present 89 345LE and love it! Found that with the MH with a wrangler toad have pretty much have the best of both worlds. I think the only step up from the airstream would be Prevost, when I hit the lottery. Our 345 is the cats meow. We travel all over the US with it happily.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Eugene , Oregon
Right in the middle of Selling 2007 Airstream Classic 30' slide and going to 43' MH

And getting a Bambi. Simply need more room to fulltime. I love my Airstream. It's my first Airstream.

We will hit the small camping spots in our Bambi. We really can't do that in a 30' Airstream very much.

Also Airstream trailers are not four season RVs. The holding tanks are not heated.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
im curious why there are so many late model motorhomes on the market with virtually no miles?do people impulse buy these units,then realize the cost of operating is way too much?do they lose there nerve as they age to manuver these big rigs?i like simple so the airstream travel trailer fits the bill for us.when i speak to people on the road most of them say a motorhome is a maintenance nightmare.one guy told me if its not breaking he felt like he wasnt camping.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Why people switch from Airstream trailers to motor homes (or 5th wheels) . . .

. . . . when they can't lift the stinger any more
Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
We made the switch from a 34' Airstream Classic to a 43' Dutch Aire diesel pusher by Newmar about 2 months ago. I've had 1 tent trailer and 5 travel trailers (the last 2 were Airstreams). We are spending 5-6 months on the road and just wanted more living space, storage, and conveniences. This is not to say we won't someday buy a Bambi or something for shorter stays. Newmar makes a very nice product that makes it feel more like home than an RV especially with 4 slideouts. That was important for us and we wanted to try this. If we like it well enough, we will full-time for awhile after selling the house with no rush to replace the house. It has many more conveniences but it also has more to go wrong in the future. That's why I got the extended warranty and went with a brand that is known well for it's quality control and service. You have to go into it knowing that it's going to cost more but it's a wonderful way to travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5672 (Small).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	99243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3276 (Small).JPG
Views:	81
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	99244  

Name:	IMG_5804 (Small).JPG
Views:	73
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	99245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5807 (Small).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	99246  

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
im curious why there are so many late model motorhomes on the market with virtually no miles?do people impulse buy these units,then realize the cost of operating is way too much?do they lose there nerve as they age to manuver these big rigs?i like simple so the airstream travel trailer fits the bill for us.when i speak to people on the road most of them say a motorhome is a maintenance nightmare.one guy told me if its not breaking he felt like he wasnt camping.

I believe you hit the nail on the head, but add in the economic turndown. For people who suddenly lost 1/3 or more of their income, the maintenance and storage costs - or a choice between paying your kid's health insurance or putting diesel in the moho - Well, selling the moho turns into a no-brainer,doesn't it?

Also, I've talked to four or five people who realize they've owned a moho for 2-5 years and only used it for 2-5 WEEKS. Most bought their moho's to change their driven 80 hour work week habits... and then couldn't follow up on their intentions. A sensible person takes a look at a moho growing green algae on it's skin... faces reality... and sells it.

To reference back to 2Air's post, I've seen three moho's for sale this spring where the owner or his wife has either died or become totally disabled within months of purchasing the new toy. Sad.

Paula
Old 04-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, our original plan was to buy a class"C" motorhome; We wanted the smallest one that had an island queen bed. [27 to 29 feet] later we switched our thoughts into buying a trailer.

Reasons:

(1.) We were still working at the time and whatever we bought would have to sit in-between vacation times until we could retire.

(2.) If the RV was going to sit, with a trailer and tow vehicle, only half of our investment would sit while we could drive the other half. [tow vehicle]

(3.) We figuered with a motorhome we could drive faster, legally, but like my brother who has a class "A" motorhome, he tows a Saturn and that means [Saturn as trailer] he has to drive at the lower speed limit too.

(4.) My brother agrees that hitching my trailer and hitching his toad is about the same work and time.

(5.) Fuel mileage, for us, is better with towing a trailer compared to the motorhome.

(6.) We have very limited space for parking on our property; Most motorhomes and some SOB trailers are too high to fit under the eaves on our house.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My Picture CD 196 (Large).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	99256   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 224 (Large).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	99257  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #22

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I started my experience with a 34' Excella and loved it most of the time....
Recently I purchased a 1995 Airstream 36 Diesel and am excited about being able to drive where we wish to go to and park.... of course we'll probably be pulling something!