Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2003, 08:12 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Thanks!

The owner just sent me photos of the interior. It's been updated a little and looks fabulous. The floorplan is not what I wanted but I may actually go with this one if I can get the owner to budge on the pricing.

I'll have to check out the windows, and if I get it, I will have to make sure I do something to protect it. It only has the one square window in the front without the two curved ones.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:56 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Why is Airstream any better than the other brands?

Greetings Narnian!

If my notes are correct, 1969 was the first year for the wing windows surrounding the center front window - - it was part of a major redesign of the coaches. If the front window on the '66 doesn't have a rock guard I would suspect that it may have seen one or more replacements over time so it would be a good place to start inspecting for acrylic windows.

Beyond the Corning windows, I am not aware of an peculiar traits to be aware of with the '66 Safaris.

Good luck with your inspection!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:38 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Are Argosy's less desirable for some reason?

Someone just posted an ad for a 26' 1976 Argosy at $3500 in Exc. condition. I took a peek on Ebay, and they don't appear to be selling for as much as the airstreams. At least, not as much as the early 70's airstreams. I also noticed that the Argosy is not listed in the price guide.

After reading this thread, one of the things I liked about the Airstream is that if I buy one, and decide by next summer that RVing is not for me, I can sell it for about what I bought it for, and maybe even more. Will that be true with an Argosy?
Old 08-06-2003, 07:08 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Probably under valued. Someone bought the trailer the same day it was posted.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:07 AM   #45
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The Argosy units are less expensive, but I think it is more of a Caddy vs Olds type thing.

The Argosy units have the same construction, but are painted instead of silver. Many people that have owned them started with the Argosy and moved to Airstream only to join the club. If you can ge an Argosy for less, It will hold it's value, but will more than likeley not appreciate like a vintage airstream. Look at the caravel/safari pricing on the 60's vintages. Nice ones go for 5-7k. New they ran 3-4 K, of course inflation is an issue, but you can see that the value is there.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:46 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

OK, that makes sense. So if I want to buy a trailer and have the value go up, I need to get a 70' or earlier Airstream, but if I just want it to hold it's value, I can go with an Argosy?

I'm looking to live in this thing for a six month stretch, so comfort is an issue. Is it likely I'll be happier with the Argosy?

My primary goal is to not lose my shirt while experimenting with full time RVing.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:09 AM   #47
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
If you want some of the features of a more current model like the wrap around windows the Argosy is the budget way to go. There is a 79 rear twin model on Ebay righ now that had a low starting price. currently at 2550, but there is a reserve. You will have to do some work to make it yours, but it will have the Gray tank, and AC already installed. This one happens to have the desireable (to some) front and rear wrap around windows.

If you stay in the Airstream family of products and lead with your head, you should be fine. At the wost you will buy it, use it, put some money into it while you use it, and sell it for what you paid to begin with. I cannot think of any thing other than a house or classic car that gives you that possibility.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2426572758
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79 argosy tt.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2557  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-06-2003, 03:17 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

I've been eyeing that Ebay Argosy for a few days now. It's layout and size are exactly what I want, but Texas is a pretty long way from Ohio. The photos of the interior look great, but I'd want to see it in person before I bid on it.

I have a feeling the reserve is higher than what I can afford anyway. Hopefully, if I'm patient, another one will come up in my region. I'd be willing to drive six hours to go look at one, but no further unless I knew the seller.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:27 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

OK, I did some homework and found out the differences between the Argosy and the Airstream.

Like you said, the Argosy has slightly less fancy appointments in the interior. Not an issue for me, since it's still nicer than everything else I've been in.

However, the Argosy is not all aluminum. The upper front and rear segments are steel. That means it can rust, and it should be a little heavier than the Aluminum airstreams. Has anyone had any trouble with an Argosy trailer rusting? Is this something I should be concerned with or am I still safe to include Argosy in my search for a temporary home?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
We spotted an Argosy in a storage yard near our home a few months ago. Not sure of the year or size. The last time I went by there was a "for sale" sign in the window. Unfortunately, there is no phone number on the sign. When I tried to call the owner of the storage lot, she called back, said they have no Argosy listed as being stored there and even if they did, she couldn't give out the owners phone number that she would have to take my number and pass it along to the owner ERRRRR! I offered to meet her at the storage lot to show her the unit. She said she wouldn't be down there for several weeks but if I'm still interested I should call her towards the end of the month. Why do some people have to be so difficult!

I am going to continue to follow up on this unit as it might make someone a good starter trailer. I'll post the information as soon as I am able to track it down. I feel sorry for the poor little Argosy without a loving family to take care of it!
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 07:29 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

If you're in Cincinnati, that's just down the street for me. I'm guessing you know where Hamilton is. Where was it? I might want to go look at that. If the owner has it priced right it could be the perfect starter for me.

Do you have a guess on the size? I'm not mentally prepared to tow anything over 26 feet. If it's a size I want, I might follow up with the owner of the lot to track down the owner of the trailer.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:52 PM   #52
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
The Argosy's do seem to have a bit of a rust issue, but the steel is so thick I do not think it could affect the structure of the trailer unless it was left for many many years. I would bet the frame would be gone before an end cap will rust thru.

They may have a few more LBS in the caps, but I like the steel, especialy on the front. Fewer dents in towing
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-08-2003, 11:13 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

I guess it would be pretty easy to spot a rust problem and fix it before it went too far for rescue. I'm still wondering if anyone has seen one rusting yet.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to mkeith54 Send a message via Yahoo to mkeith54
Mine is rusting a little where the PO pulled into something and scraped the paint and galvanizing off. Now it is only surface rust and if it would have been an Airstream, it would have had top have at least 3 end segmets replaced. The PO told me he was sure that he'd have a huge dent in it by time he got stopped, the tree limb did put a dent in it but, after he backed out he stood on the tongue and slapped the end cap in frustration about the dent (he may have use some colorful words as well). When he slapped the cap the dent poped right out. I told him that he must have been living right that day.
mkeith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 03:13 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

OK, so the steel cap might be a good thing then, it can rust but it can take more abuse. I'll keep the Argosy on my shopping list.

I think I want a 25' with a lounge in front and AC installed. I just need to wait till another Argosy or Airstream pops up in my region for less than $4K and I'll be set.