Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Why I have an Airstream?

How many times have I thought about the answer? I just couldn't come up with a short clear easy-to-understand-for-non-RV-types answer.

Because it won't leak,
this year,
next year,
or in 5 years,
but every other SOB will.

A standard built RV trailer "will" leak in 2 years of use, and will rattle apart in 5 years of use. If I camped my RV, in my garage, I could buy anything cheap.
The more you use your RV, the better you will like Airstream.

This video clip of how an SOB is made, screamed to me, It has to leak!!
about 10K of video.

http://www.kitsaplumber.com/Airstream/buildanSOB.wmv

Watch and be astonished. The link will dissapear monday.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking just as happy with my airstreams

i dont know too much about airstreams....i do know that the 2 i currently own were built 100*'s better then this...he said they were installing the supports for the tanks....really they were putting in the axles...

i paid 2500 for one of mine and 3000 for the other one....i am much happier going in 5 or 6k each then 15 or 20k on what i just saw in the movie...

but you know in my line of business i see these sob's 100 a day...i just smile and think about that bathroom floor that i removed in the tradewind...

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Thanks for giving us the preview of how a Bonair trailer was made.
Yes I'll keep my airstream , they are alot better built.
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I had many SOB's as I searched for the Airstream of our dreams. Some of them were very nice, great interiors, very functional, classic lines, but they were not an Airstream and I had that fixation since I was a child and my parents always lusted after one themselves. They also had several SOB's but it was always "until we can afford an Airstream". I have not had one day of disappointment since I got mine. It wasn't just the perceived quality of the "rig" as they called it, but the "look". What it represents in terms of camping in relative luxury. The open road. Long trips - caravans come to mind and the fact that when the Airstreams rolled into town EVERYONE knew it and were amazed. And people still stop and stare when we tow through a town and wave, truckers and other vehicles give thumbs up, kids come and stand in front of it to see how they reflect in the shiny aluminum, when camped and people with brand new units worth ten times or more what ours is and 50 years newer want a tour and are wide eyed and excited. And besides all of the above, I used to work in an SOB plant and I know just how quickly they deteriorate if they are not treated extremely well. The clip just confirms that not much has changed since I moved on.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
That clip reminded me of the SOB plant we toured when we were thinking about a class C. After visiting that factory and seeing to build process, we quickly removed that manufacturer from the list. But another visit to a different SOB plant yielded a similar experience.

One trip to Jackson Center SHOWED us how real trailers should be built! Or at least how ours was going to be built. The next trip to an RV manufacturer was back to Jackson Center to watch our TT being built.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Dang, another refresh-button induced dupe!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
As an Argosy owner there's still a little bit of wana'bee factor involved but just the resale alone if your looking at older trailers is enough to convince me that "Airstream" is the way to go. A few other examples of trailers that used the "aircraft" concept exist but none have endured and none hold their value like an Airstream.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

I don't know, Druppy, seems as a lot of ASs leak, especially the later models. The video shows them laying a complete WP membrane on the roof; does AS do that? Maybe they do. They then show them doing a positive pressure test for leaks. I know AS sends their TTs through a spray room with a guy inside "looking" for leaks. Is that as effective as the pressure test? Maybe it is.. My take on ASs is that they cost more, and last longer. But don't kid yourself, I can attest to their lack of quality control. Its fine to feel good about owning one, but I don't get real giddy about the quality aspect.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
sorry I love AS as much as anyone, but yes they do sometimes leak and have leaked many times in the past.
Although my Airstream classic motorhome did not.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Um they do leak at 40!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Why I have an Airstream:

Sergei
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1122.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	23984  
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
The SOB's leak and most of the AS's I know about have leaked at some point. Two friends of mine bought used campers in the past year. The first one bought a 85 25' AS after years of used SOB's, he found a leak in the rear bedroom under the bed. The second one bought his first camper, a 94 Prowler 5th wheel with a slide, on his 4th camping trip it rained hard and he had numerous roof leaks including a real bad one at the slideout. The thing is that both of them spend the same money at the time of purchase.
The best part of an AS is the way they tow and how they look. That money and time spend on repair and updates will yield a better return then on SOB's. On top of that, it is a twofold hobby camping and restoration.
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Absolutely fascinating clip - does anyone have anything like that showing an Airstream being built?
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen chosen
I don't know, Druppy, seems as a lot of ASs leak, especially the later models. The video shows them laying a complete WP membrane on the roof; does AS do that? Maybe they do. They then show them doing a positive pressure test for leaks. I know AS sends their TTs through a spray room with a guy inside "looking" for leaks. Is that as effective as the pressure test? Maybe it is.. My take on ASs is that they cost more, and last longer. But don't kid yourself, I can attest to their lack of quality control. Its fine to feel good about owning one, but I don't get real giddy about the quality aspect.
I don’t believe AS installs a water proof membrane due to their design. The membrane installed as one piece on SOB trailers is then penetrated by drain vents, roof vents, and staples. The water proof membrane and the coating applied breaks down to UV exposure, much like the roof on most homes. The aluminum on the AS dose not break down.

My 68 Globetrotter had few leaks by the door and storage access doors. Had the unit received better maintenance over the years this may have been prevented. Not made for a 38 year old unit.

The interior appliances seem to be the standard of the industry. I do like the interior design of trailer better than SOB, but I haven’t seen them all.

The video seemed rather dated as I would like to see the construction of the more modern fiberglass sided fifth wheels.

Our new 2005, put in service in April has not had any major issues. I have glued some Formica edging and flooring in the bathroom. I am very picky as everyone should be. I do think the riveted construction is higher quality without a doubt.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
While I had to track down one leak in my '77 Excella 500 and one in my '86 Sovereign, they were easily fixed with an application of Parbond or Vulkem at a panel seam. I bought my Airstreams for 3 reasons:
1. Aerodynamic
2. Light as compared to other SOB's
3. Cool looking

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
The original statement: "Why do I have an Airstream?" is the answer to the non enitiated's question.

Yes, a 30 year old Airstream might, "may", leak. But, there is not the "leak guarantee" you get from most other manufacturers.
Now, since fiberglas construction, there are some SOB's that have only 4 seams, and they should be very close to water tight. But I did want a reasonable chance at finding a leak, = skylight, vent, window, hatch cover.
With a standard SOB, you have to consider all "ALL" the seams in the siding.

If my unit leaks, 99% of the time, it will be in one of the penitrations of the monoshell.
I tell people, "the only thing that can kill an Airstream, is water on the inside."

So there it is, I'm just lazy, and don't want the "thrill of the Hunt" for that elusive "source of the Nile" that is gonna wreck my cabinettes and delam the floor. If it's wet===fix it.
Other than closing vents, I haven't had to fix anything for 2 years.
Just lazy.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:18 PM   #17
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Talking Honey child, nothing leaks like a tent...

We went from a tent to an Airstream, and when its raining well you know when you are in a tent.

Lots more reasons to love an Airstream besides rain/weather protection. As a former tenter though, climate control is my fave.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
In our 2004 Classic, in the first two years, we had leaks
- from the shower onto the floor (not fixed after two returns to dealer),
- twice from a damaged plastic, poorly protected, water tank drain valve,
- from the water line to the toilet onto the floor,
- inside a skylight,
- from the bathroom vent, and
- from a front window.

This was all before the hail storm...

To get fixed, do you want a dealer to remove and reseal a window on a new trailer? Or perhaps you are willing to spend out-of-pocket for a multi-thousand dollar trip to Ohio?

Airstreams do leak, even new ones.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Why Do I have an Airstream?

Because it makes me happy, warts and all! (the Airstream - not me, of course)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Why do I have an Airstream?

I have an Airstream because it is soooooooooo cute! The first time I saw a Bambi, I said that is for me! Now I have one, thanks to my hubby's hard work!

Janet, I thought those bumps were silver freckles, not warts!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote