Old 07-06-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Or how about "They're so cool why would you buy anything else?" P.

Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via AIM to jim8860
You can cook your dinner on it

jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, we bought ours initially because it didn't flex or creek when we walked down the length of it. It was cool looking and it seemed very comfy....when in fact it is. Tows like a dream.

In the end there are lots of choices, but beware, if you only have $5k to spend on any RV, odds are unless you're financing the rest for a newer unit and get an older unit, your gonna need more at some point to fix it up or just accept any issue that come up that don't need attention. Either way, yer gonna pay if you wanna play any way you go really.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Right Decision For Me

As I was lying on my back this afternoon under the Sovereign, putting all the entrails back in (new insulation, plumbing drains, etc.) and the belly pan back up, I've been thinking about you and had this thought...

"I'd rather have $8K in an Airstream that's 30 years old, been gone through and restored, than $40-$50K (or even $10-$20K) in something that I haven't gone through."

Yes, I've been in the bog of despair for a while (parts everywhere, old chewed insulation with mice droppings, rusted, corroded frame etc.) but tonight I'm moving it and should be working inside with AC tomorrow.

As tough as it's been (did an Overlander before this one), I have no regrets.

Remember this...when you buy an old Airstream, restore it and take care of it, it's not going to depreciate!

And you've got a great tow vehicle. I've got a 7.3 PSD in my E-350 and it is just fantastic (4" exhaust, AFE filters, and chip make it even better).

Go for it! (even if you have to pay $4200)
Ron Kaes
Psalm 112
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Go for it. If you have the patience and desire to fix old Broncos this should be right up your alley. I'm no expert but the price seems to be pretty average for an Airstream in this condition. I paid only slightly less for my Sovereign, but it needed a new floor in the front, some new belly pan and some frame work. I just discovered last weekend that I need to do some floor work in the rear under the curb side twin bed too. I just keep telling myself that I'm much happier with this trailer than the new SOB we had before this one.
I see that the AS has WBCCI numbers on it. Did they travel with this unit while living in it for 2 years?
"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #20
Post You get what you pay for.

We too are mostly weekenders with two small children and would not have another camper. We got a GREAT deal on our camper which is the only reason we have an airstream; otherwise we would be towing a pop-up. The quality of an Airstream is hands down superior to anything we have been in. As long as you take care of it, it won't depreciate at the same rate as other trailers. And as an added bonus, you'll have the opportunity to join Airstream clubs and meet some fantastic people. Best wishes in your decision.

zipppy is offline   Reply With Quote