Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Framingham , Massachusetts
As I post every time this question is asked in a thread...type of construction/build (it’s not sticks and staples) and windows.
quietguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Out appraising a house today. Was talking about living the minimalist life. Told the lady I would live in an Airstream in the winter down south if I could. She said, “Oh, I just love the look of an Airstream.”
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #63
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
That looks like a 79 Cherokee grill. So it must have been a 360 ci or smaller engine. I had a 76 Cherokee with a 401ci engine that pulled my 1976 Airstream 31 ft TT many miles in the mountains with great success. l also had a 78 -Jeep J20 PU with 401 ci. It also did a great job towing, mountains and all. Too bad Jeep gave up on the 401 ci engine in 79 and then a few years later they gave up the large PUs and Cherokees. They were (and still are) great vehicles. In fact I kept the J20 for 34 years. Then somebody offered me too much money for it and I said goodbye to the Jeep. So now I have to be satisfied with a new Chevy 2500HD Diesel. Seems to do the job.

Abe
I always loved the Wagoneers but never got one. I did find a Cherokee, can't remember the year now but it was the 6 cyl 3 speed 4WD, still the full size body but not a Chief. Body was great but engine worn out, I put in a 304 V-8 from a rolled CJ, bell housing extension and the CJ tranny. It was great off road. Then I got one of the newer Grand Cherokees, a 1995. 6 cyl with shiftable transfer case. It was just OK around town but it shined off road. That was my last Chrysler product.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Made from Aluminum

Our story is a little different. I built custom Triumph motorcycles when I was young and then moved on to just Harley's. On a trip to Sturgis my wife finds a place in Eu Claire WI. that makes teardrop campers. So they let you rent one for a week at $150, I didn't realize that was my trial test, cause they wanted me to buy on when I brought it back for $15,000. Oops see ya. But with my bike in the back of the truck, tailgate down, we were off and had fun. Fast forward a year and we're back at camping with a tent. While cooking on the grill and drinking to much beer in upper Wisconsin a 400 lb. black bear walks into our camp and took what he wanted then left. The next time we tried tent camping it rained buckets for days. Didn't have to pack much cause the tent, lawn chairs and all sleeping stuff went into the garbage. Now my wife says she has a way to solve all our camping problems. We're going to buy an Airstream. Not only water proof but also bears can't get in. When I saw the price of a new one I new automatically we were getting a used one that I can remodel. It all worked well and we're still camping. The only real problem we face is, all the Harley's I have built, I still have cause I love them. Now I love our Airstream and they're a lot bigger than the bikes. You don"t suppose anyone would buy more than one Airstream do you?
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #65
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Bob View Post
Our story is a little different. I built custom Triumph motorcycles when I was young and then moved on to just Harley's. On a trip to Sturgis my wife finds a place in Eu Claire WI. that makes teardrop campers. So they let you rent one for a week at $150, I didn't realize that was my trial test, cause they wanted me to buy on when I brought it back for $15,000. Oops see ya. But with my bike in the back of the truck, tailgate down, we were off and had fun. Fast forward a year and we're back at camping with a tent. While cooking on the grill and drinking to much beer in upper Wisconsin a 400 lb. black bear walks into our camp and took what he wanted then left. The next time we tried tent camping it rained buckets for days. Didn't have to pack much cause the tent, lawn chairs and all sleeping stuff went into the garbage. Now my wife says she has a way to solve all our camping problems. We're going to buy an Airstream. Not only water proof but also bears can't get in. When I saw the price of a new one I new automatically we were getting a used one that I can remodel. It all worked well and we're still camping. The only real problem we face is, all the Harley's I have built, I still have cause I love them. Now I love our Airstream and they're a lot bigger than the bikes. You don"t suppose anyone would buy more than one Airstream do you?
"You don"t suppose anyone would buy more than one Airstream do you?"
+++++++
Well I maxed out at 4 airstreams. Recently sold 1 with 1 more for sale now (1966 Safari). Two is the perfect qty. for me!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ours was an 85 360. A real tyurd. 🙄

Bob
🇱🇷
Bob, As we get older our spelling goes to shirt. Vehicles with low hp I call them ...gutless wonders. To avoid hijacking... If your posting on this forum, your family to Airstreamers. Once family always family
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #67
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
I am now and have always been a sucker for beauty. That's why I chose an Airstream Dash Dash beautiful within and without and I never Tire of gazing at her.
HCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
We chose an airstream because at first my wife really loved them and wanted one, like many we looked at other brands/options but ultimately ended up with a used 2003 safari, we fell in love with the brand lifestyle and iconic image of airstreams in general.

We found ourselves loving our airstream so much we would routinely go sit in it in the driveway, watch movies or just hang out. This inspired us to get travel friendly jobs and move in full time.

Next step was to “upgrade” to a 1981 excella 31’. Still full time a few years in and would never consider any other brand.

Things we see in campgrounds are high end fifth wheels less than 1 year old with serious plumbing issues, problems with holding tanks, things broken, etc.

These systems on other campers seem to be highly complex, and vulnerable. My 1981 works exactly like my 2003, we do have a new AC fridge and stove, but the water heater is original and works like a champ.

Also we sold our 2003 for more than we paid for it and it had some fully disclosed water damage occur from an undetected leak.

Any other brand you will lose lots of money, depending on age and how well you buy an airstream at a minimum you won’t lose as much value.
Jeremiwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
I only wanted to buy 1.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Jacksonville , Arkansas
Simplicity! After driving a long day, I want to be able to park, get inside, have a snack, and go to bed. With an AS, no need to run slides and do a perfect job leveling. To leave in the morning, don't need to worry about the slides coming in or not.
Low center-of-gravity: Trailer with slides have to have floor above the wheels, to minimize damage. When I went to RV shows, after climbing up 4 to 5 steps, my knees were barking. AS is low enough to need just two, sometimes one step. That low profile also reduces the effect of cross winds on the highway; much less sway. In some older towns, overpasses and tunnels are a little less than 12 feet high. Airstream trailer is just a little over 10 tall, so she slips through easily.
It's a little like a big house vs. a small one;. Less space means less clutter.
Finally, the trailer tracks with the truck so well, I'm able to get in and out of crowded gas stations.
Deeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
I’m an art director. Airstreams are the only coaches that match my MacBook Pro.

But seriously, beside their iconic gorgeousness and interior brightness and good taste in interior design, there is no trailer on the market that gets its center of gravity so low. Coupled with a superior suspension and low and aerodynamic shape, nothing tows as well.

An Airstream well balanced with tow vehicle handles like the Ferraris of RV’s. This makes it not only less stressful to drive, but also much safer. There are times when we can momentarily forget that our 28’ International is right behind us. We have been in serious crosswinds (up to 45) and two emergency evasive situations that required sports car like handling. With any other rig, we might well not be here to talk about it.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Hi - in my case I did not have a hand in choosing Airstream. My parents bought the trailer I have now new in 1969. The trailer has lived its full in the dry climates of New Mexico and now Colorado. Bottom line is - how many brands of RV could you expect to pass down through your family and have it continue to be regularly used? That consideration may not out weigh cost but I can attest that the value and quality are there. If we were to buy a new RV it would be an Airstream but that won't happen soon because we just updated the interior (formica, new Luxury Woven Vinyl, new awning, new refrigerator - on top of other major systems already done) and it should be good for another 50 years ....
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
In addition to the many positives described by others, and the few of the negatives which we also experienced, our 23’ FC has always looks great with any background topography including British Columbia Rockies, Newfoundland coastlines, Florida and Gulf Coast beaches, Midwest plains, and the widely varying geological features of all the west coast states.

Though we do not winter camp, we have been comfortable in all types of weather, including light snow, high winds, nearby tornadoes (no trailer is safe for tornadoes), electrical storms (Airstream are safe due to the Faraday effect), driving rain, and hot sun (but not summer desert sun).

If you own and use a motorcycle, boat, airplane, bicycle, mountain climbing gear, or an RV of any type you should know basic maintenance and repairs to be safe and comfortable while using the item for its intended purpose. I have had problems with my Airstream just as I have had with my new Mercedes, Harley, Volkswagen, Toyota, Saab, Jeep, and Honda (cars and motorcycles). Stuff happens and nothing is perfect. Buying a well cared for Airstream may be the best option if the original owner took care of it and remedied the quirks that are often found. Our 3 year-old (40,000+ Miles) Airstream is in better shape than when we picked it up New at the dealer. As with my grown children who are much better people than when I first brought them home, I had to learn a great deal along the way.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
75Bob you got a whole forum full of members that have more than one ASTrsiler. We had 3 and now are back to 2, a 61 21' Globetrotter and a 62 28' Ambassador.

It is classic vintage iconic Americana.

I had been hankering for one since I was a little girl and used to walk to kindergarten in Junction City Kansas. It took a couple of years, okay decades, who's counting but wouldn't have it any other way and I've been in a Prevost.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We bought out first Airstream because that's what we found. That was in the day before the Internet became what it is today. Once we had it, we also joined the Airstream club and made many friends.

More recently, we needed to quit using the trailer and switch to a moho. And because of the club, we located a nice, low-mileage Airstream moho and bought it.

Lynn
Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
I have had five Airstreams -two brand new. Love them because: aerodynamic, iconic design, good quality, good people and very towable. Find a trustworthy dealer is the secret. Other trailers, by comparison to me, appeared cheaply made, not well designed and for those reasons alone, problematic.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
I’m an art director. Airstreams are the only coaches that match my MacBook Pro.

-----snip------
There are days I seriously suspect that my son, the one who started our family into Airstreaming, had a similar reason for choosing a shiny aluminum trailer...He's an inveterate Mac user.

Some days I think I'm the only PC user in the household...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:05 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
I already posted but I keep remembering this, we had a campground neighbor for a couple of months in Richmond, va, they loved airstreams but decided they didn’t want to spend that much, bought a brand new Montana high country fifth wheel. Which I don’t know much about but I think are nearly top of the line in terms of the SOB line.

There was more than once they created a lake in the yard from issues with the plumbing, being the helpful type, and having been full time for over 2 years I thought I’d try to help them figure out the problem. One glance inside the access panel and I knew it was over my head, more valves in switches in that one door than 10 airstreams, they had mobile rv people out at least 3 times.

Bottom line they told me multiple times that they wish they had just bought an airstream. And now they are in the position that their rig lost so much value that they can’t afford to sell it.

All of those “features” seem great until they break and nobody can figure out why and in the meantime you end up going days or weeks without basic amenities like no water.
Jeremiwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
This is a good question. As a two-time breast cancer survivor, I knew that those plastic and cardboard SOBs were really good at outgassing harmful chemicals......so, when we were thinking of going full time, and were ruling out 5th wheels and Class A's and B's, we went out on a 92 degree day and walked through a whole bunch of them (which had been kept all closed up on the lot in the hot sun), and then we sat in the car and we both (without even looking at each other), said: "I feel sick now." Indeed, the fumes inside those trailers and RVs had made us sick. I could not imagine living in one. The salesperson even said to me: "I hear you have to run the furnace for about 2 weeks to get rid of the smell." REALLY? Oh, Hell NO.

We had owned the '57 Airstream Wanderer for 20 years, camped all over California, and enjoyed the heck out of it. So, we looked at each other and said: "What are we doing? Let's go look at Airstreams..."

Come to find out that Airstream is Certified GREEN.

Enough said.

Environmental health hazards are very, very real to me. So many "unexplained" cancers out there.

Also, it's an iconic American brand.

We live full time in our 30 foot International Serenity, and it's a great way to see this beautiful country we call home. How much stuff do you really need? More storage, more stuff. Happy hunting, and happy trails to all of you out there. See you down the road. Susan
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Love this quote (and about sums it up):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Notice how you never see AS's on the side of the road with a "for sale" sign on them?