Old 04-16-2004, 07:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We loved Airstreams for years, and caught the fever for the Classic AS motorhome after seeing several on trips. We still love the look of the Classic MH, but reading this Forum convinced us that we didn't have mechanical skills to maintain one. In addition, we decided that we didn't like the idea of providing the Toad behind the MH, so logic led us to the AS trailers. In time, "Gypsy," our trailer, found us. Perfect fit!

1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:59 AM   #16
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
And don't forget the insurance - It's a whole lot cheaper to insure an unmotorized trailer than a motorhome.

1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:25 PM   #17
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
There is a certain vibe with a trailer, that motorhomes can never come close to. Romantic, perhaps. Much more Americana, vintage travel whatever........
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Bad Link ?

Inside Out I cannot access the link you posted above.

Don't know if any one else has had problem. Could you check it.
and possibly give url?

TT vs MH

I have never considered a MH. The only ones I have ever been taken back by are the silver tube looking ones and the Silver Streaks or Streamlines with the rear porch like a rail coach.
Trailers seem to be more practical in my circumstances. But I admire the abilitiy of many MH re-furbers. I do worry about the golden agers ( or the wild eyed youngsters too) coming at me on a two lane in something that size with little or no driving experience in large wind catching vehicles. I just pray they are heart healthy, sober and am always relieved when we clear each other.

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Why did you choose a trailer?

I must admit that there are several reasons that I chose an Airstream Trailer (or maybe it chose me) over a motorhome of any brand. While I enjoy visiting in motorhomes owned by friends, I never really had any desire to own one. I agree with JBMcG that the preference between motorhomes and travel trailers is a strong one for most, and for many it may be somewhat difficult to quantify the precise reason(s) for the strength of preference. My reasons for choosing and staying with my Airstream/Argosy trailers include:

(1.) The GMC G20 Vandura that I owned was one of my least favorite vehicles due to its driving position (similar to the motorohome only lower), and the cost of dealer servicing - - I disliked the additional hour of labor charge (30 min on each end to remove and replace the doghouse cover) added whenever engine service was needed <<even for oil changes if I wanted the air filter/pcv valve and filters inspected>>.

(2.) I also knew that I couldn't tolerate the notion of having to disconnect utilities every time that I wanted to go sight-seeing or be required to tow an automobile for that purpose - - tried a similar setup with a slide-in truck camper from the late 1960s and realized that the only way a motorhome would make sense was if I towed a car along for destination transportation.

(3.) I wanted to be able to combine hobbies - - Vintage Cars and an Airstream (didn't realize that Vintage Airstreams were becoming collectable until several months after I purchased the Overlander in 1995). I still like towing with a big mid-1970s or earlier automobile with the big block V8 for power - - but I am realistic and maintain my Suburban as the tow vechicle for the larger share of my excursions.

(4.) I just couldn't bring myself to leave the owner's yard after looking at what would become my '64 Overlander. The trailer seemed to have some kind of strange attraction and it wouldn't let go until I made the deposit to purchase the coach. It was only several months later that I learned that it was the same coach that friends' of my family had owned when they took me for my first camping trip in 1964 when the trailer was new and I was five years old. The Overlander had migrated nearly 400 miles North through the two owners that separated me from the original purchasers who were friends of my family.

(5.) My perception has always been that driving a motorhome would be a bit more stressful as the control panels, driving position, relationship to road and traffic would all be less familiar than in a tow vehicle that is familiar (that in my case is my daily driver most of the time). I won't discount, however, the fact that towing a trailer does change the handling characteristics of the tow vehicle as well as creating issues with adequate rear view mirrors.

(6.) The fact that it would be possible to own and have two trailers restored for about the cost of doing the same thing with one motorhome also played a role in my later decision to buy the Argosy Minuet. This increased my travel flexibility considerably as the Minuet can be towed by a larger number of Vintage automobiles, and is small enough to have access to virtually any campground that I may care to visit. The Overlander is my coach for most extended getaways when pure comfort is the deciding factor.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Inside Out I cannot access the link you posted above.
It's been fixed...

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:16 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
It was free.

It was the wife's choice of trailer and her folks have a 23' Safari. I'm the type of person who likes new things though. While i can work on things and fix them, i am not overly fond of it.

Couldnt argue with the price though.
2009 F-350 FX4 Crewcab 4x4 6.4l
former '78 Argosy 20' Minuet owner
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:02 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
Thanks to all who have replied to my thread, especially Shari and that old thread I had forgotten about. I learned a thing or two from many of you. Perhaps we will meet in the Airstream world in the future.

Thanks again.

Marin County
SF Bay Area
Hubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
After spending some 25 yrs. tent camping up to 20 days per year, it was time for a change. I wasn't getting any younger. A number of friends had popups and several had travel trailers. After spending a couple nights during the winter as well as the summer in each to try them out, it was an easy choice. A travel trailer seems so much more comfortable even while boondocking. The initial cost of a motorhome and upkeep was more than I was willing to spend.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay

Trailers can be put to a lot of uses and just seem more versatile because you are not tethered to a front end captain's chair, steering wheel, motor, transmission and drive train. You can park an airstream just about anywhere and use it for a lake cabin, a guest cottage, a getaway space, an office, etc.

My parents went through two motorhomes at retirement before hanging it up and buying a house in Florida. I, like DavidZ, have done nothing but tent camp my whole life. This will be a new venture. Right now we are just enjoying fixing it up. We put in new roller shades this morning so next weekend we might "camp out" in our own yard now that the neighbors can't stare in at us.
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 11:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master
2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
We had a class C motorhome for a few years and had lots of fun with it. However, it got terrible mileage, was very noisy, and rough riding. We did not tow a car - so whenever we wanted to see the sights we had to tear down and drive the behemouth. We had no interest in towing a car... might as well ditch the motorhome and tow a trailer. When we sold it we thought "next time a trailer", and few years later that's what we bought.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:08 PM   #26
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Hubba
Airstream trailer owners, why did you choose a trailer over a motorhome or other RV type?
I chose a trailer because I didn't want to have yet another running gear to repair, maintain, and insure.
I also didn't want to have to "get used" to another vehicle's operating characteristics when starting a trip. Also, I didn't have to go out and purchase a toad and all its accessories just so I don't have to break camp and go into town when I need a gallon of milk.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote