Old 07-24-2005, 09:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've owned a SOB, a pop-up, and still own a 1968 24ft. AS, but the size of Bambi makes it real easy to just hook up and take off. It's just the wife and I, and we're very close, so I've personally found that 48" bed to be an asset.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

I'm reading your replies with great interest. Thank you.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Why a Bambi?

Why a Duck?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:36 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Riverview , Florida
If you want to attract and meet new people when you travel, get an A/S. People will stop and want to talk to you. If you want to just be a part of the crowd, keep your trailer.....
Old 07-25-2005, 07:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

You do the math, because I am a dope.......

Pay 15K for an SOB that will live 15 years, or...........

Pay 40K for an Airstream that will last 40 years ( at least).

You could buy an SOB and invest what you have left over.
Plug in inflation, earnings, and the future cost of another trailer
when the SOB dies. It's hard to say if it is a finacially sound investment.
Airstream owners talk about quality.....but I think it's the "cool factor"
hooked many of us. When it comes to cool,....money matters very little
IMHO
Old 07-25-2005, 07:47 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bambis are great little units, but if you're on the ropes on to buy or not to buy, that's totally up to you. There is little folks here will be able to say that will conv your wife that these are great coaches to own. You've brought up some good reasons to keep your Mallard and frankly, outside of the cool factor of a Bambi, you sound like you're pretty happy with your Mallard.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
The interior of a Safari/Bambi Airstream is of similar quality to other brands. Same appliances, similar general level of cabinates and carpet. The structure of the Airstream is better though. If you want a trailer for the long run, get the Airstream while your Mallard still has some market value. If you move up, you might also consider a longer trailer - so you don't "need" to upgrade again in a few years.

You only live once. Get what makes you happy, and that you feel you can afford.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 AM   #22
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Hiya Duck...

The Mallard-Duck thing is great...

I cross two worlds here, I have had (and continue to have) fiberglass campers as well as Airstreams. I've bought/sold/restored/used a '61 Bambi 16', a '57 Overlander 26', a '70 Safari 23', a 325 motorhome, and now have a '94 Limited 34' tri-axle. I have also had a '78 Scamp 13', an '87 UHaul 13', a '78 Trillium 4500, an '01 Love Bug II, an '87 Burro 17' widebody, and now an '02 Scamp 16 CD. I'm working on a '53 Airstream Flying Cloud as a project at the moment as well.

Airstreams (at least older Airstreams, the new ones are incredibly heavy compared with their older counterparts) and FG trailers are typically lighter than their white box counterparts and subsequently tow more easily. The big thing for me is that if you buy one used, you'll probably always be able to recoup at least 90% of your expenditure when you sell, and in some cases (depending on the age and model) these trailers are actually an investment as they APPRECIATE rather than DEPRECIATE. You'll be hard pressed to find a white box trailer that you can sell for more than you paid after using it for several years. Actually, there are few white box trailers that have any residual value at all after ten years, much less that appreciate.

That said, frankly there are white box trailers out there that are just as nicely appointed, and have more useable room per linear foot than Airstream. It truly is just a matter of what you value in a travel trailer.

Happy convincing!

Roger
Old 07-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
I cross two worlds here, I have had (and continue to have) fiberglass campers as well as Airstreams. I've bought/sold/restored/used a '61 Bambi 16', a '57 Overlander 26', a '70 Safari 23', a 325 motorhome, and now have a '94 Limited 34' tri-axle. I have also had a '78 Scamp 13', an '87 UHaul 13', a '78 Trillium 4500, an '01 Love Bug II, an '87 Burro 17' widebody, and now an '02 Scamp 16 CD. I'm working on a '53 Airstream Flying Cloud as a project at the moment as well.
You obviously also have great neighbors and a great yard for storing all of this stuff.

The Duck: I know you are already convinced, but I'd like to share a bit of our experience...

Our 1972 Sovereign started working its magic the day we first pulled it into our drive last summer. We had lived in our suburban home for 5 years and knew 3 neighbors. Those first few days we met several more. Our neighborhood has gone from a nice place to live to an even better neighborly place. It is amazing all of the help, friendship, and great evenings this trailer has brought to our neighborhood. I should say, one of the neighbors (14 years in their house) has had a 5th wheel for years and it took our trailer to show up before they came over, and we have since introduced them to several neighbors.

Airstreams have a magnetic charm that can change things no matter where they are parked, or what road they are traveling.

We will enjoy several more throughout our lives, but we will need to move to a place with a yard the size of Roger's so that we can park them all.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:43 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

As someone who purchased an Airstream (19' Bambi) in the past year, all I can do is give you my reasons. These are in no particular order:

1) They just plain look good. In a previous post, someone asked the question "Do you turn around and look at your trailer as you walk away?". For me, the answer is "Every time!".

2) I think they get better looking with age. Unlike most of the white-box variety trailers and motorhomes, vintage Airstreams age well. In fact, you can polish an Airstream and make it look better than it did when it left the factory. That's just not going to happen with other types.

3) I plan to keep ours for a long, long time and feel that the structural integrity of Airstream units is well-suited to longevity.

4) My folks lived in one for two years after my dad got back from WWII. There's some nostalgia I have from hearing their stories while I was growing up.

5) The layout of the 19' Bambi just "felt right" to us. We've got all the amenities we want, but it's small enough that we can go most anywhere we desire.

6) Airstreams are uncommon enough to be distinctive and seem to invite discussion. During a recent trip to Yellowstone (3200 mile round trip), we counted a grand total of 9 other Airstream trailers and 1 Airstream motorhome. At nearly every campground, I had someone ask me about the trailer (although I had a similar number of question/comments about the Hensley Arrow hitch).

One last note. We've had our 2005 Bambi since early Spring this year and haven't had any significant issues with it. Everything has functioned perfectly, and any complaints would truly be nitpicking.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #25
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
You obviously also have great neighbors and a great yard for storing all of this stuff.

We will enjoy several more throughout our lives, but we will need to move to a place with a yard the size of Roger's so that we can park them all.
Yes, Mark, I have a large yard, but only the Behemoth, the Scamp 16 and the Flying Cloud are in residence at the moment... and soon... hopefully... the Flying Cloud will be in someone else's yard! And my neighbors are excellent! I'm not looking for any more projects for a while. I think I'll give the neighbors a rest!

Roger
Old 07-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybuster
...One last note. We've had our 2005 Bambi since early Spring this year and haven't had any significant issues with it. Everything has functioned perfectly, and any complaints would truly be nitpicking.
That's what I want to hear! I appreciate your other points as well. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:58 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

My 2004 19'Bambi CCD makes me feel good every time I look at it. Seems rather strange but even looking at pictures of it usually improves my dispostion towards life. The only thing better than traveling and camping in it is messing around with it on those weekends at home. It's hard to place a price on that. Also my wife loves it.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenrj
My 2004 19'Bambi CCD makes me feel good every time I look at it. Seems rather strange but even looking at pictures of it usually improves my dispostion towards life. The only thing better than traveling and camping in it is messing around with it on those weekends at home. It's hard to place a price on that. Also my wife loves it.
My sincere thanks to everyone who gave me their thoughts and good advice on the pride of Airstream ownership. I hope we find our AS pretty soon. If you know someone selling a 19 or 22 to move up to a larger AS, let me know. Thanks again.