Old 07-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin View Post
Thank you all for your time in responding. I really appreciate it. I still have not made a decision. I must say that I am not thrilled by the reasons given: attention from others, being able to meet new people and join a community and being able to take pretty pictures of your trailer really do not seem to justify the kind of money these cost - in my mind. I am concerned by the poor quality described, maintenance required and quick depreciation. I have recently become intrigued by the escape and bigfoot trailers. Do any of you have an opinion on or experience with the latter trailers? Thank you again.
Our first trailer was a 14 ft fibreglass trailer ( Trillium)that had no toilet or shower, did not leak but was a bit warm inside on sunny days. We sold that to help with the down payment on our first house . When we could afford to look at a trailer again we started looking at used stick built types but just did not like all the cheap cabinetry and walls that would shake when you closed a door so we looked at Bigfoot and were suitably impressed to go new 17.5 ft ( they don't measure the tongue) . We did not really know about Airstreams untill we saw one while camping on Vancouver Island and we were hooked by the bright interiors and solid finish. When it was time to move up, we looked at both Bigfoot and Airstream , totally ignoring the stick builts as being too cheap looking inside and so tall .
We had to go to the US to purchase our first A/S as the only dealer close to us in BC almost put us off buying anything.
We had 3 great years with our 19 then fell in love with the 20 with its larger Kitchen and great picture windows and aluminum interior which made things so bright for my wife who is visually impaired.
Move ahead 5 fun years of travel and we of course needed to go bigger ( 3 Dogs) so started going to all the RV shows, looking at everything with an open mind. Bigfoot had gone bankrupt( building again now) and the other fibreglass trailers were too small, and the SOB's were just too cheaply made.
Our good fortune was to have a new dealer open up 50 m away so we had another look at A/S and there is really no comparison. We are now the proud owners of a 2014 25FB international.
We have friends with SOB's and we both think they are huge and overdone, and they have all had their issues and continue to have them.
Sorry to be so long winded.
Bottom line is I don't care how many people look, but must admit to a pride of ownership that I know I wouldn't have with anything else.
Could we camp with something cheaper? Of course we could. I could also drive a cheap car but I choose to drive a Corvette because I can.

George

Old 07-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
The only fiberglass trailer I would even consider is an Oliver.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
The only fiberglass trailer I would even consider is an Oliver.
Looks basically like the Escape made up here in BC. Well worth considering if you want a smaller ( narrower) trailer.

George
Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeikle View Post
Looks basically like the Escape made up here in BC. Well worth considering if you want a smaller ( narrower) trailer.

George
from what I can glean from the internet and seeing one or two on the road , it looks as if the tandem axle Escape would be well worth considering .
Wish Casita would get around to building a longer tandem axle trailer .
Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:

George
There is no comparison between the Escape and the Oliver. The Oliver outscores the Escape by a mile.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #62
cramar

1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
Quote:
Could we camp with something cheaper? Of course we could. I could also drive a cheap car but I choose to drive a Corvette because I can.

George
I have a Corvette... now looking to buy a used AS. Both are ICONS!

I like the quote from "All Corvettes are Red" by James Schefter: "Corvette isn't a car it's a dream!"

How many thousands of 'vettes will travel to Bowling Green for the 20th Anniversary of the Corvette Museum at the end of August? Like I said, an icon!
2014 National Corvette Caravan - YouTube

To me Airstream isn't a travel trailer, it's a dream! I don't see SOBs rallying to a "mother ship." Matthew McConaughey owns at least one AS. Maybe people should ask him, "Why an airstream?"

As the above video states, it is about PASSION!

A Corvette wave to you now! Hopefully an Airstream wave in future.
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I dont want to sound negative but its not that complicated.
If you cant justify the cost and its out of your budget don't buy a new or newer AS.
If you don't have the means or interest in restoring a vintage AS don't buy one.
We like AS's because we understand them and they speak to us. Cost is secondary.
Remember you get what you pay for in most cases.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
There is no comparison between the Escape and the Oliver. The Oliver outscores the Escape by a mile.
I was talking dimensions.

George
Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #65
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Generally when people see our AS in campgrounds the first comment is, "Wow, what a beautiful trailer!" The first question is, "What year is that?" The second is, "Hey, they're still making them?" The the third is a combo statement/question, "Well, those things are really expensive, right? How much did it cost?"

About then I tell them that since AS has been making trailers for 80 years and many are still in use, there's probably an AS for them at the right price if they seriously want one, especially if they are ready, willing and able to restore a vintage AS to its former glory. I never like to discuss the price range for a new AS...too many assumptions get made. So, then I change the subject and we talk about other things, like how there's this great AirForums site with tons of information about restoring vintage trailers, what to look for and what to avoid.

Then, no matter what camping setup they have, I find something to compliment and ask them what they like best about their current setup. I don't want our camping neighbors thinking we're snobby...we're just regular folks out to have a good time camping who happen to tow an AS.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
I was talking dimensions.

George
I see. You are right about that.

The one thing that turned us off on the Oliver were the dimensions. Too narrow. I was sold on the Oliver until I saw my friends 25FB. Wow, what a difference.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #67
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Oliver also has a terrible floor plan. I'd love to want an Oliver, but with the current floor plan I can't even work up a good envious glance.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Quote:
I see. You are right about that.

The one thing that turned us off on the Oliver were the dimensions. Too narrow. I was sold on the Oliver until I saw my friends 25FB. Wow, what a difference.
Is that the new 23 ft model they just started building this year? We are thinking of a trip to the factory to check one out.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Why an Airstream?

Yes, but they sell it as a 22. Fully loaded for about $45000. Not a stick of wood in it anywhere. Well thought out.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Oliver also has a terrible floor plan. I'd love to want an Oliver, but with the current floor plan I can't even work up a good envious glance.

Ultimately that is what killed it for us. Along with the wet bath. If it was a bit longer and wider....