Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Marcin, you can google to find out somethings. There was and maybe is a website that had reviews, but I haven't looked for a few years and can't find it today. It seems a few of the higher quality manufacturers haven't survived the Great Recession.

There is a company that publishes ratings— Expert RV Ratings & Unbiased RV Reviews I don't know if they are accurate. You have to buy the book. Some review websites seem useless for useful info. For example, this one ( Airstream RV : Airstream Reviews, Prices and Specs ) looks like ads for Airstreams rather than valid reviews.

There are some newer brands that are designed with a lower coefficient of drag than the standard white box. Some are green, some have better floor plans, some have better insulation. Whether they will last will take years to discover. I believe one brand is Evergreen for a green trailer. Arctic Fox is built for cold climates, but good insulation helps in every climate.

This isn't as easy at buying the annual auto edition of Consumer Reports and getting reviews based on years of experience and viewpoints of thousands of customers.

A lot of us believe that if you pay a premium price you should get a premium product and that Airstream has not lived up to its part of the bargain. Nonetheless, few of us are selling them. We fix them, get the warranty repairs, improve them, make them our own. If you are into a design icon that tows easily, it can be a good choice. If I knew in 2007 what I know now, I would have looked for a fairly new used one, or I would have spent more time learning and then looking for that good used one. Now I would also look at some other brands that are advancing the technology, something much less of an option 4 years ago.

My wife wanted an Airstream. I wanted to get her what she wanted, but neither of us knew about possible alternatives then. To us functional and attractive design is very important and Airstream does have that type of design. We also like Art Deco and Airstream is somewhat in that tradition.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Why an Airstream? Because it's about the best made thing out there today. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than a travel trailer that is one third its price? Yes.

We have a 2005 Airstream Safari 25FB that we have had since new. We do camp a lot. We have spent almost 900 nights in it, and have towed it 80,000 miles. It is still going strong and looks good.

As far as a close second to an Airstream, take a look at Earthbound travel trailers. Of course, these are also way more expensive than a Keystone.

A lot depends on whether you want to buy a trailer that you will pass down to your children, or one that you will trade in every few years.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Western Slope , Colorado
Airstreams are classic and iconic. I took my wife tent camping a few years ago and she said NEVER AGAIN! If we are to camp in any sort of way it must be in a Airstream was her first and only choice....we love the classics!
All that is gold does not always glitter...those who wander not always are lost....
mnmhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Great to tow , look great , last forever . Meet a lot of great people asking questions
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
happy, happy, joy, joy

My story is a familiar one on these boards. Due to the economy I am taking a job out of state. I decided to purchase a trailer to live in and not throw money away on rent.
I researched all the trailers and it came down to Silver Streak or Airstream. Truthfully, for my purpose, Silver Streak was my first choice, but a deal came along on an Airstream and I snapped it up.
I would not purchase an Airstream new, but then I would not purchase anything new. I, only recently and reluctantly, purchased a, new to me, 2005 gas saving runabout, because I can’t afford to drive a real vehicle anymore; I am a happiest in something pre-70, even pre-80 if it has been de-smogged.

Not trying to get to far afield, but purchases, like a vintage Airstream, are based as much on the people who own them as they are the product.

A good example of my built for quality point, is my house. I live in a house built in 1910 and it has all the creaks and problems associated with a house of that age. About fifteen years ago, I was checking the foundations of front and rear 10 feet of the house, which had been added on in the 1950’s.
Anyway, I discovered the front and rear sections did not have a complete support system, for the most part the add-ons are just "hung" off the front and back with little and, in some places, no support.
BUT, is there sagging? No. Is it loose or cracking, unsafe etc? No. These add-ons, which are wrong by todays and I would guess by any day’s standards, have held securely since the 50’s. Why have the add-ons held? Because this house was built at a time when solid thick wood was the norm, when framing was held together with big steel nails that dwarf the nail gun nails of today.

I am not going to go crazy modifying my Airstream, but refusing to embrace improvements for nostalgias sake is best left to the rich. I am concerned with insulation, enough hot water, and security, but it makes me happy to know I have purchased a solid platform.

A final thought to consider, if I decided to rework my trailer, which wouldn’t be for sometime, I would likely spend the amount or more of purchasing new and this is given the fact, I already have most of the tools and would not include calculating the cost of my time. For example, since purchasing my Airstream two weeks ago, I have easily a 100 hours reading about the different appliances, how to trouble shoot, how to winterize, insulation to buy, things to consider etc. etc, but if I did rework the Airstream, it would make me happy to know I installed high grade parts, and to know where is what and that it is overbuilt… in the event I want to hang a 10ft porch off the front and the back. (Are you seeing a trend here?)
Full manure alchemist
Living31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
They're less disappointing than everything else.
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
And when they break (they all do) they are worth fixing.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
..... and people will actually ask you "Do they still make those?!
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida

I recently purchased a new Airstream Flying Cloud after owning two fiberglass clad trailers. The Airstream is well designed and definitely of higher quality. But as noted by others its not perfect and I've needed some minor warranty work. I can tell you that the Airstream pulls like a dream getting you there safer at less cost (better gas mileage). My tow vehicle is a Sequoia with the same engine as yours.

Now is a good time to buy new in my view because dealers are discounting the MSRP. I'll leave it to you to negotiate the price but double digit discounts are out there now.

Welcome to the Forum and wish you the best in your trailer quest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3574.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	507.7 KB
ID:	136415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3586.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	136416  

martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
tough one, reverse your analysis maybe?

Originally Posted by Marcin View Post
I am not sure why (except to be a part of the culture) should one spend the extra money to purchase an AS? Could you please provide me with some objective reasons. Thank you for your help. M
I've been sitting here trying to come up with one or two. Sorry, can't come up with a single objective one.

Here are a few things you might make into rows on the spread sheet. Then ask the folks here what dollar amount they'd put in the Airstream column.....

- The smile on your face every time you look in the rearview mirror
- A trailer that takes on the color and hues of the world around it - of the sunset, the beach, the sky and the mountains, wherever you park it.
- Not having to say longingly, "damn I wish I'd bought the Airstream" every time you pass one on the highway.
- Campfire reflecting off the aluminum skin on a chilly night.
- The look, feel and sound of that heavy handcrafted aluminum,door.
- Curved curves
- Equally adept at a romantic mountain weekend as it is a family vacation to Dollywood.
- Pictures of you and your kids camping with the shiny Airstream.
- Watching your kids show their kids those pictures 30 years from now, remembering how cool a time they had camping .
- Art you can live in.
- Glow of the interior aluminum skin as the morning sun streams through the port hole windows.
- A trailer that goes just as well with Merlot and Filet Mignon as with beer n' brats.
- Someone coming up and saying "I didn't know they made those anymore"
- Stopping to look back over your shoulder every time you walk away from the rig.
2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
Beside an Icon and folks any where admire the bullet. Its aerodynamic shape, low center of gravity and light weight makes it unique which translate into ease of towability, low milleage and safer trailer
Can't justify the price, but if you can efford it then why not
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
Someone I know (who will remain nameless because he is related to me) lost control of his few year old box trailer while coming out of the mountains of South Carolina on an interstate. The tow vehicle went left into the wide, grassy median at interstate speed. The trailer disconnected from the tow vehicle in the median. The tv went across the other side of the interstate and plowed into an oak tree. The box trailer, now on its own, airborne, and left to the merciless forces of physics, twirled in the air and landed on the interstate on the oncoming traffic side and basically shattered (for lack of a better word). There was little left but a mangled frame and thousands of chunks of wood, pressboard, and plastic. The tow truck company used a snow shovel to scrape much of this trailer into a pile. Luckily, no one in the tow vehicle was seriously injured and no one was in the opposing lane at the time. Quite lucky all around. I saw the pictures of the scene at the interstate and the pile of wreckage at the junkyard. It was sad.

I don't know how Keystones are built specifically, but many box trailers are 2x2 wood sticks stapled together with some kind of covering on the exterior and interior. They don't hold up well in stressful situations like I described above. It has always puzzled me that people will pay big money for an rv with bones of wood but wouldn't give a car with bones of wood a second glance.

My point is that SAFETY is another reason to choose an Airstream. Not only do they have a lower center of gravity than most box trailers but the curved shape allows air to flow around them in a stable manner giving you very predictable towing characteristics. It would be my contention that the accident above could have been avoided altogether had he been towing an Airstream.

If the accident did occur with an Airtsream in place of the box trailer, the Airstream would have undoubtedly still been in one piece. Crumpled certainly but in one piece.

The semi-monocoque constuction of Airstreams is extremely strong--one reason they hold up for so long.

If for no other reason than safety, I would rather be towing a 20 year old Airstream than a brand new Keystone--which is, in fact, what I do.

Just food for thought.
Bill Cantrell
AIR 24338
Easily distracted by shiny objects.
Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
I had typed up what I thought might be a fun yet helpful post. It took me about 40 minutes to type and with the accidental hit of one button, POOF.

Oh well. I will leave you with only this.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, Live the life you've imagined."--Henry David Thoreau

There are some folks that think they are alive just because their heart is beating, but some of us need much more.

Best to you....
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
I agree with Blakradish. Though an Airstream can last 50 years or more, if you aren't going to use it much then you could afford to replace a cheaper brand every 10-15 years and still come out cheaper over your lifespan.

As far as the "culture" and all that is concerned, I certainly wouldn't recommend buying an Airstream just so you can join the WBCCI. You have to really check out each unit and see if they're people you want to associate with. There's reasons why many choose not to belong to the WBCCI, but that's why there's other options available to asociate with other Airstream owners, the Forum and TAC being just a couple of them.

Courtesy parking-- water, elect. and wi-fi.
To those who are about to Stream-I salute you!
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote