Old 03-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Why Airstream

Being courious, new to airstreams, and deep into getting one ready to use.........I am wondering.
Why did you buy a Airstream??
Our reasons were several; we wanted to downsize from a 40' motorhome + tow car.
We want to leave Florida in summer heat, hurricane season, and we love to travel and I want my own space. Dog need his too. DH is not so fussy.
AS makes well built units, light enough so we did not need a huge truck, in a variety of lenghts.
one strange reason: when we looked at a RV show, a huge issue was the showers in many units that had a huge step over a wall to get into, I have had some leg problems and stepping sometimes was not an option. I needed a walk into shower.
What was your reason?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-9-07 058.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	33896  

Old 03-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We love the look of the Airstream. We also like the quality of construction as we use our Lucy extensively, and plan to keep her a long time.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Had a 67 Airstream when I showed dogs several years ago. I loved it and knew I would someday get another. When I saw my Argosy, I had to have him. It was love at first sight and it's gotten more addictive since then. This 78 is so well built, light enough to pull easily and it's sooooo cute. I just love to sit and look at him from the outside or the inside.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just look at them.

After that, recall your RV show visit. Walk in some SOBs (some other brand or some other box) and there too you'll see the other reason.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I got ours because I couldn't find a 40+ year old SOB to restore. Of course, I wan't looking very hard. They are much better made than almost everything else out there, and will last a very long time if you take care of them.
This opposed to most SOBs that may last 10 years or so if you take care of them.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Some boys wanted fast cars when they grew up, others wanted to be baseball stars. I wanted things that were big and shinny, Airstreams and Airplanes. Well I am grown up now but still a kid. Don't ask why I want an Airstream, ask why so many!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Why We Chose An Airstream...

Our decision was based on several things:

1- Quality - We wanted something that would last longer than 5 years. If we needed to make adaptations for our wheelchair-bound daughter we could only make that change one time.

2- Low Profile - Aids in fuel economy, we can use light weight, inexpensive ramps to get the wheelchair into the Airstream.

3- Low Maintenance Exterior - NO rubber roof and black streaks down the sides, doesn't show road grime as bad as SOB's, NO spider-webbing of fiberglass.

4- Ease Of Hooking Up - It is a lot easier and less time consuming to hook and unhook from TT than a dingy from a motorhome.

5- American Icon - Self-explanatory!
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
FAYETTEVILLE , Arkansas
I like the AS for many reason,but I think my best is it is a great symbol of America. It can go through some of the most adverse conditions. But, like America with proper care can be restored to the days of Glory and shine like it was brand new. Why do I like my AS. The question is is why wouldn't you. And AS passes you on the road and you look. It's not like SOB. It will be here for long time. Just like America.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cowtown , New York
Hi All!

I am interested in learning about Airstreams and hope to find one of my own to pull. I've never had a camping trailer of any kind. My interest in Airstream is multi-faceted:

1) Simply put, I like the way they look.

2) I have a keen respect for vintage aircraft and what they did for US in the past (I have an uncle surviving who piloted a B-17 through much of WWII) and recognize he relationship between Airstream and "aircraft". That said, towing one will be the closest I will likely get to flying.

3) I like anything that is sturdy and well built (guess THAT could be taken many ways) but obviously I mean in a machine.

4) Right now space is limited for parking and a modest sized trailer would leave more driveway room for other activities when not gone away.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
I have had SOB's and simply wanted an American icon that my wife and I can use until we can no longer go and then pass it on to our daughter so that she can continue to enjoy the best.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
Like the looks, and the slippery shape contributes to better fuel consumption as compared to SOB's.

Quality! So what if there are issues here and there. Look at other RV's and there is no comparison.

When you drive through towns, the heads turn faster than the speed limit. Must say something about the iconic stature of Airstreams.

Makes a good backdrop for my pink flamingos!

I love it!
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Why Airstream: There are too many reasons to list. Here are just a few.
Appearance,well built. AN AMERICAN ICON. Unique.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cowtown , New York
Speaking of pink flamingoes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by romap
Like the looks, and the slippery shape contributes to better fuel consumption as compared to SOB's.

Quality! So what if there are issues here and there. Look at other RV's and there is no comparison.

When you drive through towns, the heads turn faster than the speed limit. Must say something about the iconic stature of Airstreams.

Makes a good backdrop for my pink flamingos!

I love it!

We've got a "family" of them that disappeared two winters running. We got postcards postmarked Jacksonville, FL and heard from them several times each winter. We could NOT figure out who was pranking us...everyone always had an alibi. So wifey decided to bring the family inside early, but no one has fessed-up yet.

I know the neighbors think my wife is goofy...but then again, maybe they are accomplices!

When we get set up to travel at least a representative or two of the "Flamingo Family" (some of them have even ended up with name no less) will be travelling with us...just for fun.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Som interesting answers I did not think of.
towdaddy - Is this really true???
Ease Of Hooking Up - It is a lot easier and less time consuming to hook and unhook from TT than a dingy from a motorhome.

several of you mention.....american icon.....not sure how important this is to us. It really did not enter into the buying issue. Perhaps it comes alone as time goes on in use.