Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
NY , New York
Why Airstream?

Hey folks. We are interested in purchasing an Airstream... but I have to play the devil's advocate for a minute and ask you owners a big question: Why did you choose an Airstream over other trailers? Don't get me wrong. I am drooling over the 28' CCD. But it's almost twice as expensive as the next highest brand, apparently there are quality control issues, they don't make as much use of their space as some other floor plans, not as many modern features... But on the other hand, it's the coolest looking thing out there, inside and out, it's lightweight for its size, and very aerodynamic. Do the pros really outweigh the cons? Are there more pros or cons that I am not considering? Thanks for your help!
zombyw00f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
Well first off welcome to the forum and if you ever get the chance to go to a vintage trailer rally count how many there are of each brand and you will find there are more Airstreams than any other brand, that is why I bought my Airstream, they last.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Listen to theVAP to find out

Go to www.theVAP.com and listen to WHY an Airstream - a Vintage one at least!

Happy listening!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombyw00f
Hey folks. We are interested in purchasing an Airstream... but I have to play the devil's advocate for a minute and ask you owners a big question: Why did you choose an Airstream over other trailers? Don't get me wrong. I am drooling over the 28' CCD. But it's almost twice as expensive as the next highest brand, apparently there are quality control issues, they don't make as much use of their space as some other floor plans, not as many modern features... But on the other hand, it's the coolest looking thing out there, inside and out, it's lightweight for its size, and very aerodynamic. Do the pros really outweigh the cons? Are there more pros or cons that I am not considering? Thanks for your help!
It's kinda like why Harley Davidson. Definitely not the best bike you can buy, but by far the hippest ride in US.
Airstreams are well built, not perfect, but the hippest RV on the planet. Especially the 28CCD!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Best thing I can tell you is, go to an RV dealer or show and walk inside a few similar length RVs. Don't look at the cool or not cool factor. Walk around inside, look at the fixtures, look at the finishes. Notice the creeking and overall feel of the inside.

Then, look outside, more importantly, look underneath, see the axles, underbelly, etc.

Then go back to the Airstream. Walk through it, look at the interior finishes as you did with the other brand RV and the axles and underbelly. Notice that when you walk, walls don't move, floors don't typically flex.

When you are done, outside of the Airstream being much more cool, you'll really notice the feel of the Airstream, compared to the other brands. Yes, Airstream has it's faults and is not a perfect coach, and it is costly, looses it's value just like the other RVs, but in the end, typically, 10-20 years from now, with proper upkeep, you could still have that Airstream since the only thing that rots on it can be the floor.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
There are a number of things that attracted us. 1st I suppose was the looks. I find their ability to retain their identity and continue to build a modern up to date trailer at the same time a very attractive thing. The aerodynamic styling makes for one that tows better and with less effort than any,bar none! That of course translates into less $$$ to move from one place to another. Thats one excuse that always works with the wife. As far as depreciation: they do depreciate but not at the rate of most other brands.
We have traded 3 times in the last 2 years, a 16'CCD, a 25' Classic,and a 30'Classic and lost very little in depreciation overall.--pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
what we did...

We're anxiously awaiting our new 19' CCD, it hit the production line today.

We looked at a bunch of different brands of trailers and researched every one of them down the to the width of insulation, almost to the brand of screws. We looked at the price tags of brands like Outback, Keyston, Big Foot, and others. We looked at the quality standards/fit-finish for that price tag, and although nicely finished, feature rich products, I just got a sick feeling about the lifespan and overall quality of those units and the "worth" just wasn't there. They felt expensively cheap.

Airstream research was internet only for us as there is no active dealer in our area. Deemed "out of the question" due to price, that changed once we spent 2-3 hours on an Airstream lot in Arizona last month. The fit/finish/features/esthetics felt "worth" the price. They really are incredible and Nicole and I are coming unglued with anticipation for our new bambi!

Good luck with the decision!
Brad, Nicole, and "spokes"
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
I forgot to add one thing. It is not necessary to spend the price of an Airstream to have fun Camping and traveling. That said, if an Airstream is what you really want you'll never be satisfied with anything else.-- pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Longevity,
If you take care of it it can last for many, many years.
My Airstream is coming off the line in the next few days. I can't wait!!!!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Frank says!

Do ya want a real poncho, or do ya want a sears poncho!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My wife and I were sitting in a new SOB trailer which cost less than the 25 year old Airstream we were considering buying. The dealer was on a major highway and even with the door closed on this trailer we were unable to hear the salesperson talk, due to the road noise. Then the wind picked up and started to rock this trailer back and forth. Keep in mind there was no storm just a little wind. However it was enough for us to know that the money would be well spent on an Airstream. We are now on our second and have no regrets.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
for me and my wife the decision to go with Airstream (we now have two) was simple - LASTING QUALITY. we went shopping at a couple of the big RV barn - they are pretty much the same everywhere. we walked through twenty or thirty different trailers. not one other brand gave us the feeleing that they would hold up over time. in one trailer the front of the drawer fell off in our hand. this was a brand new showroom model!

we ran as fast as we could from the SOB's (for the uninitiated - some other brand) and decided a used Airstream would suit us far better than a brand new spiffy piece of @%*!. in three years of ownership we've had not one regret. just joy and pride of ownership.

oh yeah...did someone mention the cool factor? for us that's just an added bonus to owning a classic American made product. then there are the added perks - we keep our trailers in an Airstream only park. An owners share cost us $3k+. there are a couple of campgrounds within a few miles of our park that are charging $25k-$35k for condo lots. we consider the Airstream park an enourmous perk from ownership. The fellow owners - yeah there are jerks in every crowd - but they have been far and few between in the Airstream community we've come to know.

hope to see you at a WBCCI rally sometime.

--dave
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The $500 Fifth Wheel

A friend with very limited means and an elderly mother has been living in a falling apart trailer for a year. Last month she finally got together enough to buy a better one. She found a 1989 32' 5th wheel that was advertised for $1500. Long story short, the former owner had been trying to sell it for almost a year, and when she said she needed to think it over he dropped the price from $1500 to $500 and even delivered it (30 miles) to her park. It's much better than her old one, but it really isn't roadworthy... as a basic shelter that will seldom, if ever, be moved it works.

I'm guessing that this 5th wheel cost in the neighborhood of $10K when new, and the previous owner did everything short of GIVING it away. If this were a 1989 Airstream in mediocre shape it would still be worth $7K - $10K.... and more importantly it would be worth restoring.... and possible to restore.

I don't know how you'd even restore an old fiberglass and stick trailer. I think hers is held together with caulk.

Lots of folks buy one or more SOB's before moving up to an Airstream... but very, very few move to other brands except as park trailers. HappyCampers have a 5th wheel they use as their winter home, but they just bought another Argosy to restore.

Choose something and start RV'ing. I'm of the mindset that there are only two kinds of RVers - Airstream Owners and FUTURE Airstream Owners.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Come on, what did you honestly expect to hear by asking a group of Airstream owners? That everyone was going to admit that they made a mistake when they bought their Airstream and advise you to look elsewhere?

Personally, I think there is only one reason to buy an Airstream. Because you think it's coolest looking thing out there. Because it is.

It's the most expensive, pound for pound, inch for inch. It's not by any means the best quality. There are more than a handful of Airstream dealers who aren't particularly adept at providing good service. Etc. Etc. Etc.

You'll buy it because you want it. Never let your head change a decision that your heart tells you to do.

John
Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wentworth , South Dakota
I just got back from a three week trip from South Dakota to Vera Cruz Mexico in my very used 1972 Trade Winds. I traveled 6000 miles of some of the worst roads I've ever seen both paved and gravel. The Airstream did very well and kept me in total comfort.
Danetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:35 AM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
New Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danetree
I just got back from a three week trip from South Dakota to Vera Cruz Mexico in my very used 1972 Trade Winds. I traveled 6000 miles of some of the worst roads I've ever seen both paved and gravel. The Airstream did very well and kept me in total comfort.
I want to hear about this trip and see pics if you have them!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:43 AM   #17
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Not to get this post off topic. BUT ME TOO.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm towing a 1978 Argosy, that some would say was the cheaper Airstream. First of all, no one knows this trailer is almost 30 years old. When you camp in it you can't believe it is 30 years old. It's well built, a pleasure to tow and so much fun to look at. Talk about cool. I know you are considering a "new" Airstream; however, even with some quality control issues, I bet you could hold on to that trailer and pass it on to the next two generations. I will probably never be able to get a new Airstream, but it doesn't seem to matter. Heck, no one knows I'm not towing one now. It's a great addiction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	19888  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My wife and I are not yet Airstream owners, but after about 9 months of searching and looking at all of our options, we've come to the conclusion that nothing else available offers the stability, utility and quality that an Airstream has.

We know what we're buying.
DocBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Why Airstream>?

Hello -

We bought a 28' CCD last year - went to the factory and watched it being built too.

There were a few QC issues (the shower door was incorrectly installed, the TV bracket was installed crooked, some of the window knobs were loose, the comforter was missing, the water heater needed to be adjusted - incinsistent lighting) but AS fixed them ALL without question and even fixed a piece of body side molding that I had scraped off by pulling into a campsite a little too closely to a cement filled pole.

I think the QC issues were within the 'acceptable' range.

Why AS?

Like every other answer you've read, a few main reasons.

1. Overall quality - solid construction and solid feel - the walls are actually wood, not foam board with wallpaper on it. The cabinetry is solid and the fixtures are all top-of-the-line.

2. It IS the coolest looking thing out there! ESPECIALLY our CCD! I LOVE the Safari with the International option too!

3. Longevity - they are built to last! LOTS of older ones out there.

4. Company reputation - AS stands behind their product and their warranty and they are the friendliest people I've dealt with.

5. Towability - 20 mph winds on the Mackinac Bridge - didn't even feel it!

Good luck - hope to see you and your new AS!

steve & susan
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote