Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Who needs that 18v drill anyway?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1398024682.505678.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	930.3 KB
ID:	210079

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Now that is a cute picture! Helping out at the campsite is even better than the Easter Egg hunt, I bet.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Who needs that 18v drill anyway?

He did all 4 - he then wanted the zip dee pole thingie - had to draw the line there for now

Also was fascinated by the sewer
Solution and dumping today - disappointed him there as well

PS - Paula - if you are listening - thanks for that advice - I just let my black tank drain without the sprayer thing and used my water line for sewer flush on the AS - this simplified and worked great - we have a macerater toilet and it drained no problem at all and I think it drained nearly just as fast

We did use it to clean it out at the end - I'm totally sold on it now - before I started contemplating not liking it

Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
heh heh, my photo made it onto the airstream facebook page - my son is an airstream celeb now

Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Best advertisement for families to buy an Airstream, everyone working together to set up camp. But soon he will want that 18v, more power!

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
That's the real beauty of camping. You never know what days will stand out in your children's memories, and there is no such thing as a surplus of good ones! This is one of the best possible ones. A sense of accomplishment, taking himself seriously, being dad's helper... and cuter then an Easter Bunny! This might be one of YOUR favorites too.

Paula
Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If he tried to use an 18v drill now, he'd spin around.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You might want to lock those dump valves. You might have a mess on your hands. Cute photo.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Holy crap - had not thought of locking them!!! Good point

Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
A great pic. Thnxs for posting.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Holy crap - had not thought of locking them!!! Good point
AHEM. I know three things about parenthood:
  1. how to avoid it - humility and respect lead to that decision
  2. that no one except a parent has any idea how all consuming and downright tired you can get - and how you rarely feel like you've hit a home run as a parent.
  3. that in the end, it really isn't your job to raise CHILDREN, it's your job to help those children become self-sufficient, level headed, happy ADULTS... And that starts when they want to pick up that crank and "help" mommy & daddy set up camp

He may be young, but go ahead and teach him the right way to use the dump valves. (It's like teaching them to swim - it makes you nervous but children will get into the water. They're much safer if they've learned the RIGHT way instead of trying on their own. The "swim buddy" is essential.)

For dumping, have him start as your "quality assurance manager" - let him have a list (pictures until he can read) and supervise YOU through the steps it takes to put on the SS, check that everything is secure before dumping starts, then how to clean up and store everything when breaking camp. Before you know it, you will be watch him do everything while he shows off the steps to you. The most important thing he can learn? Consequences. If I forget to put the far end all the way down in the sewer and twist it tight, what can go wrong? EEEuh Stinky!

Kids are sponges - they will absorb FAR more than you can ever imagine if you just let them. My mother caught me using her sewing machine when I was about 3. She decided to teach me rather than take me to the E/R with a piece or corduroy that had become one with a finger or two. I was a happy little seamstress. Mom never sewed on a button after I turned five. (It did made life a living hell for my Home Ec teacher in 7th grade. Two weeks to make a gathered skirt? I wore mine to class the next day, then I spent the rest of the time making an elaborate "poet blouse." I got a "B" for being a smartass.

One of the few unsung advantages of having children is that they are closer to the ground than you are. The little guy can be actually helping with a LOT of chores real soon. There's a diamond mine in Arkansas - where the last two big finds were made by a teenager and a pre-teen. That "low to the ground" stuff is sending both of those kids to college - and their daddies can keep their Airstreams if they have them.

Happy camping, Paula
Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
they are closer to the ground than you are. The little guy can be actually helping with a LOT of chores real soon.
Actually, there are quite a few HELPS he can do or, be taught to do- place levelers (after being taught a definitive way to yell CLEAR), check tires for objects, etc.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
It is always good to have an assistant :-)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
exactly!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Oh yeah Paula! agree!

Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a quote about kids that is funny

You spend the first few year reaching your kids to talk and walk - then after that parents spend more time telling them to sit down and **** up (paraphrased - I'll dig quote up later)

Old 04-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
The price of them manual ones vs. a good 18v, makes me go electric all the way!!
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote