Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
MACGREGOR! on Ebay, my my....
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
Vintage Vacations

1959 22' Safari
Castels , Aquitaine
Be carefull with this website. The website owner sold me an airstream that had been already sold six month before my purchase ( like yours). He scammed me and keep the money I sent him. After I have posted a complaint to department of Justice of North Carolina, he modified his website, but he has never returned back my money. It seems he continues to scam Airstream buyers by saling Airstream already sold before on his website. Thanks for your alert.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Yea, we all know - there are so many who have felt the destructive hand of Cortez (or is it Cortes this week). From individuals, to the WBCCI itself, many have felt his destructive path.

Search these forums or Google in general and you will likely see more negative items about him than positive, if you find something positive at all. I agree that he is not to be trusted - I have not seen him do anything that warrants praise.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Guess this is not going to go away anytime soon. There's been a reaction and a story that aired tonight on WBTV North Carolina Cyber Assassination - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
Gibson says he has been a victim of character assassnation and will be sueing. Click the video on the right side for the full story. Besides video footage of Buttercup, AirForums is named in the broadcast and also talks about the WBCCI website. I wonder if attorney letters will be soon to follow.

photography
Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have a good friend. He found a supply of screw on porch lights. For some reason all the vintage people have to have these. So he lists them on Ebay for exactly what it cost him. Once the vintage crowd caught wind they were available, a bidding frenzy took place. Fools from all over rushed in to bid them up real high. Then someone on this very forum found his source and accused him of exploiting the community. He was even called a "scammer." My friend could not be further from a scammer. I can say that, but others said other wise.

International money fraud is a serious crime. I doubt anyone is taking it lightly if indeed it happened.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Market fallen out?

Many folks will tell you running a legitimate business can be tough in today’s internet age. The very internet that is used to feed you can quickly turn and bite as well regardless of one’s actions. Add to that the base cost of running a legitimate business, business licenses, State Corporation papers, insurance, workmen’s compensation, rent/mortgage, Auto/RV Dealers license’s, zoning cost, commercial business hazard material cost and disposal (strippers/grease/paint/etc...) repair tools and equipment, etc…, etc... the base cost along with a United States economy that has had a major down turn reducing the amount of expendable income in many households for the “nice to have” things in life has cause many businesses that fall under those categories (RV’s, Boats, Planes, Motorcycles, ATV’s, Vintage autos, Antique’s, etc..) to close their doors over the past few years. Now add to that the cost of acquiring your inventory going up as other people enter the business trying to make a “quick buck”, owners doing research to learn the value before putting that old thing up for sale (good deals getting harder and harder to find compared to just a few years back) to then have the “retail” value going down because of the bad economy and lack of expendable income, one is lucky to even cover the base cost net alone make a couple of hundred thousand dollars like some may have back during the bubble.

Could the cause of the decline in ones business be because of negative information on the very thing they are also using to sell their product called the internet or could the cause be the economy, reduced expendable income and overall increased cost of doing business and general downturn in the market? There have been a lot of very good hardworking business owners that have seen sales drop to a trickle or even closed their doors over the past four years.

The market has fallen out of many things over the past few years, Airstreams are no different.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Interesting, a very vocal group has been very silent for a number of days now...
Old 10-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
Vintage Vacations

1959 22' Safari
Castels , Aquitaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Guess this is not going to go away anytime soon. There's been a reaction and a story that aired tonight on WBTV North Carolina Cyber Assassination - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
Gibson says he has been a victim of character assassnation and will be sueing. Click the video on the right side for the full story. Besides video footage of Buttercup, AirForums is named in the broadcast and also talks about the WBCCI website. I wonder if attorney letters will be soon to follow.
Just to tell you, that this guy (Gibson) has not been a victim of cyber assassination, as he said, but many people wrote in Internet forum to tell the bad stories they had with him. I called the TV in North Carolina, to tell them who was this guy and how he scammed me. They ask me to prouve them that I had been scammed by him. I sent them all documents like bill of sale for Airstream purchase and shipping documents, transfer funds documents to Gibson's account ... And finaly they close the forum opened around this pretexted assassination! I never heard again about them. What I can tell you is that 1,5 years after I bought the vintage Airstream on his websiteb (vintage-airstream.com), I never got my trailer and the guy kept my funds. if it is not a scam! All vintage forum in Europe has flaged this guy as a scammer to prevent any other buyer to be scam again. My next step is to go to Charlotte, to see the face of him.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
He did sue several of us, lost on jurisdictional grounds as to all defendants

Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Despite his having sued me, along with others similarly honored, he still invited me via email a month or so ago to be one of the elite few that he is trying to entertain with his forum.

What rubbish.

I guess my original request to be removed from his mailing list was futile. I wouldn't bother again. Might get me on another list. Again.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Utopia , Texas
Great. I just saw this thread. I sent him some money last week. Will let everyone know how this turns out.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Utopia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Great. I just saw this thread. I sent him some money last week. Will let everyone know how this turns out.
Added:

I will have to say that I am buying my trailer from him through eBay and his transactions look credible; he has a 100% rating and appears to have sold several trailers to satisfied customers.

My transaction won't be completed for about 4 weeks; I owe more money and he agreed to deliver the trailer to me or take a certain amount off if I go to North Carolina to pick it up.

On top of that I have had my own personal online stalker that trashed me too and made up tons of silly things about me so I do know how that goes as well.

Like I said, will keep y'all posted.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Good luck. Hopefully he has mended his ways and you will have a pleasant experience.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #34

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Added:

I will have to say that I am buying my trailer from him through eBay and his transactions look credible; he has a 100% rating and appears to have sold several trailers to satisfied customers.

My transaction won't be completed for about 4 weeks; I owe more money and he agreed to deliver the trailer to me or take a certain amount off if I go to North Carolina to pick it up.

On top of that I have had my own personal online stalker that trashed me too and made up tons of silly things about me so I do know how that goes as well.

Like I said, will keep y'all posted.
Be careful about the timeline.

If you paid him the initial deposit via Paypal, you have 45 days from the transaction date to open a dispute with Paypal if there is a problem. If at all possible, you should put eyes and hands on the trailer in question within that time or issue the dispute. If YOU choose to wait longer than that, it's a calculated risk and therefore up to you. If the seller tries to drag it out longer than that, beware.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #35
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow....man, thinking you are anonymous can be hazardous, eh?

(Sound of Ole Mule Chaw hitting side of spittoon )

I'd like to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eye.. (Credit: Charlie Daniels)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Pirate John: How'd it turn out?

Rob.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I am curious too…..
Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Utopia , Texas
Well, that's funny because your timing is excellent. The trailer was delayed - some of the issues were mine, some were his - and I just received it tonight. Haven't had a chance to look it over carefully but I am generally pleased that it appears solid and as represented. I am a little less pleased that it took over 2 months to get it to me once I had paid for it but late is obviously better than never.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Utopia , Texas
And, now that I have had the trailer for several days my emails and phone calls have gone unanswered. The trailer seems to have picked up a large dent between the time that I was given photos and the time that it was delivered. Will let you know what, if anything, transpires.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
okotoks , Alberta
Sad

I feel for ya with that dent , good luck getting your money back or anything , I have seen and read so many neg about that seller , always always buyer beware and do a little homework

If you paid him by paypal , file a claim ASAP , even if just for the deposit you sent him
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com