Old 07-15-2002, 09:15 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
My 18 yr. old son, David, received 5 scholarships to attend Univ. of TN. the next 4 yrs. These scholarships are in math and engineering. The Navy has been sending him material, calling and trying to talk him into basic training then 4 yrs. of college and after that a career on a nuke sub or aircraft carrier. He asked about salary and was not pleased with what they would pay him. He is interested in Biomedical Engineering and has told me that he doesn't want to be worried about "paying the bills" like his mother and father. Wouldn't it be nice not to worry about it! Anyway, it looks like the Navy is looking for bright young men who know their math.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:09 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
, California
Hey ya'll,
Good to see there are people out there who are from the Navy. My family always says thank you to the fine men/women of the Armed services.

Hey Jay, I can understand why you can't take the heat anymore, Steamming and hot opps in the AMR, AMR 2, AMS or the engine room is nasty! My experince at sea is limited too 7 Sea Trails on board the boats. One time was on the CVN 70, That was a good 2 weeks on a surface craft. After angles and dangles, chrush dept and a emeg. bottom blow on the Bergall, I was happy to be a yard bird, knowing I was going home!! LOVE to work on them, happy that I did not LIVE on them. At 6'5" 270 lbs you can imagine how I fit on the boats, The USS Shark and the smaller older boats were a tight fit. My first time on an Los Angles class boat SSN 701 I was happy! I could stand almost strait up.

John, your grandson is on the SSN 22. What a first class piece of machinery he is on. Former yardbirds I worked with, all work at Grotton or EB, they say boat is sweet!! Armed with the Mark 48 torpedo (worlds best-very reliable) Hope he is safe, prayers are with him.

David 71, Tell son, Math makes world go round!! There are alot of Bio-Med plants here Genentec, Alza to name a couple. The pay is outstanding and the jobs will last, everyone gets sick, people need the equip. fixed and ready. - Ray

Old 07-15-2002, 01:00 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

CONFIDENCIAL

It was cold standing watch. I always wore a jacket on the Whale. except during drills which was probably about 26 % of the time. It was the same on Enterprise. I always felt sorry for the mechanics standing watch at the mains. I think my intolerance to heat most probably comes from more recent injury.

I still would rather tear down a GE M61A2 from a Falcon on hot flight line than spend a day in the boat. I wish someone had taken me up with leather jackets and silk scarves in a light plane before I ever learned math. I advise everyone to start flying. It is the best game in town for those that have the stuff. Staring down a wing turning base is a truly magical moment that tells you a man can fly. That is the only valuable knowledge I have ever gained.

The math at the university the past few years was fun and reminded me when it was reality. Using programmable Hewlett Packard calculators was far more entertaining. It was interesting to see that this old man can still run circles around others when given a fair chance. I still enjoy mathematics, physics and chemistry.

At least the young boat sailors live a human life these days. It was once something beyond belief. To this day, no one believes or understands what happened. I have had empathy for downed flyers and other unfortunates.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:18 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
SSN 22 in Glasgow today

Interesting coincidence. My grandson just called my daughter from Glasgow wanting to know where in Scotland the ancestral castle is located. Unfortunately, it is SW of Aberdeen, clear across the country (Drum Castle). No details of his cruise.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 02:28 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Math

Fatt Ratt,
I'll sure tell him. I'm proud of him and he has his head on straight.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 06:13 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
, California
MATH & PLANES

Hey ya'll

David, sure is good to know that some of the younger crowd are on the good path of life. My friend Bill has his degree in Bio Med Electronics, he is writing his own ticket when it comes to work. I took school way too lightly, and went back as an adult to earn my BS in Architecture. I hate drawing on the computer, any boob can do that, freehand and mechanical drawing are almost gone in todays world, wish I had got my Mech. Engin. degree. My TI 85 calculator should of received my degree. It was a kick to show younger people a slide rule in use!

As for flying, I have had this problem for sometime now, of jumping out of the aircraft while it is in mid air!! Crazy huh! That is what Mrs. Ratt said to me as I was recovering from several broken bones in one miss hap. Begging got me 2 more jumps in, but the injuries have stopped me, She was nice enough not too say, "I told you so". It's that speed thing!! maybe I'll rethink about fllying. - Ray
Old 07-26-2002, 07:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Cool Hello all!

Just turned 47, male, living in Tampa Florida. I have 2 teenagers. My daughter will be going off to college next year, and my son has 4 more years of high school. That's when I hit the road in my 1972 27' Overlander that I am currently modernizing. Quite a project, but a labor of love.

Many think I am crazy, but I recently quit my job as GM of an aluminum extrusion company. Let's just say a severe case of nepotism was destroying the company... and my mental and physical health. Ahhh, stress free... but unemployed. I am now looking for employment after having taken the summer off to spend with my kids. After this summer they are going to be too busy to want to hang out with me!

Check out my Overlander!

Barry
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bfrankli/airstream.htm
Old 07-26-2002, 07:44 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Intro

Hello I'm Larry brown 40 year old Union Iron worker for Universal Structraul in Vancouver washington.We build bridges and are the 5th largest in shop bridge builders in the nation. I work as a maintence mechanic I specialize in hydraulics,phuematics,electrical Tools I also do tool and die .For 22 years now.In the fall months I teach hand tools ,shop safety and Oxy feul cutting for the Iron workers apprenticeship.My wife Liz is a product develolper for columbia sportswear .weve been together 22 years.We have a 79 28 excella M.H. (we love). Were aslo what they call dinks daul income no kids.When we are not working we enjoy Rving and my Harley Davidson fatboy motorcycle. I play blues guitar.We are Moose members& HOG members. remember build union buy union
Old 07-27-2002, 02:50 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Thumbs up Tampa.

Hi Barry,
...Tampa, WOW...LOVE BUSCH Gdns, We went to the Dali museum over the bay, actualy seen the dolphins jumping in the water as we crossed, a sight we will NEVER 4get...back in '95, that was, a R/V actualy passed us at the lights as we turned left into B/G...WAS'NT U was it...LOL, sure was big....mind U everything over in the UK is scaled DOWN, you C, WE built the roads FIRST...then made the TRANSPORT...LMAO, yea that sounds abt right, well GREETINGS 2 U ALL...
...Chris.....
PS. WE R coming BACK in NOV....
Old 08-02-2002, 10:04 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Well, I just purchased my 78 Ambassador Land Yacht - can not say that I had seen many of them - or knew much about them until I was looking for a camper to take on a trip. I think what intrigued me the most about the Airstream that like Jeeps they have a long history and avid brand loyality. So it will be interesting taking my 95 Grand Cherokee that looks more like a vehicle you would take on Safari with the Airstream back behind.

Otherwise, like many of the folks here - I was in the US Navy for 8 some years as a Sonar Tech and Naval Warfare Instructor. Now I work for myself as a Technology consultant of which sees me upgrading / managing a couple of labs at Microsoft a few times a year. Since I go out there several times a year and drive each time I go - decided instead of holing up in a hotel or B&B that I would try the camp route - hence the Airstream.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:08 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Who are we?

Well, here I go again. I have to get my airstream fix somehow. Since we have posted pictures of ourselves, our trailers/motor homes, our towing rigs, and even our dogs, I think it might be time to share some information about ourselves.

I am particularly curious about those of you who are retired and get to travel a lot. I am quite envious, although I have no plans to ever retire. I am a chiropractor in full-time practice which means a commitment of 60 to 70 hours per week including non patient contact office and professional responsibilities. I lust for pulling my airstream to points west and high altitudes for blue sky viewing and relaxation.

I see that many of you attend rallies and other sociable get-togethers. Someone needs to convince me that I would enjoy that. Being around people all day long, I feel the need for some solitude.

Well you now have my psychological profile. Let's hear from you other uninhibited airstreamers.

Brouck
Old 12-02-2002, 01:28 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Well ...

I'm retired now for 11 years, with a younger wife still working. That means that I spend a lot of time alone, both travelling and here at home.

I attend WBCCI rallys and also popup and TrailManor rallys from my previous SOB trailers where I have made a lot o friends. I find that the rallys provide plenty of free time so that I get in a lot of hiking and other solirtary activities. Usually, the rallys leave at least half the day unscheduled and most times more.

It's easy to just duck rally activities that are of no interest. for instance, I'm not a game player so I duck most of the evening get-togethers where the others are playing cards or board games. I just watch a DVD, TV, work on the computer, or read.

When not attending rallys, I attend music festivals and hit the Texas state parks a lot, mostly by myself.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:51 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
(guys- I hope you agree with the merger of these threads. I read the posts and they all seem to flow in the same direction.)

As for me- I am 53, now working in the public schools again, after a 20 yr break. I taught school in the 70's, then had a recording and performing music career in the 80's ( on the road mostly), then spent some of the 90's in the automobile biz, and recovering from the 80's.
I am now in my fifth year back in the education environment, where I teach and run the technology gear for an elementary school. My job is a lot of fun, and gives me the freedom to travel on breaks in my Airstream. My wife also teaches, and our kids are in the same school sysytem so it works out well.
We love visiting the state parks, and trying new campgrounds in neighboring states.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:01 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
here goes

I am John. I am 60 yrs and stillworking sigh!
I am a Database analyst with a small consulting firm
I have a 30 something daughter teaching high school two grandsons 6and 4 1/2.
I also have a 13 yr old son. I noticed the comments about math and the different careers and also military service. yes, I can say say Yankee Station. three cruises to that part of the world starting in summer '64.
this got me to thinkinng about my son in the fourth grade. he had an opptunity to create a story and did so very well. He had everyones attention. when I arrived to take him to a doctors appointment I was greeted with alot of well wishes and pats on the arm and so forth. while I was at the office I asked what all this was about. Nathan had told them of the barn that burned and his horse that didn't make it out. this woman who worked in the office was teary eyed when she explained the story she heard.I had to explain that we did not have a barn or a horse and there was no fire. He was so convincing that in thinking about a career for Nathan naturally RV saleman comes to mind in stead of "bio-med".