Old 06-26-2002, 02:06 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Pin pullers

The 5th-wheel folks are really at risk. It is very easy for someone to just reach in and pull the release handle on 5th-wheel hitches. They don't even get their hands dirty. When the truck pulls away, the trailer comes thundering down in the bed of the truck. Those trailers are heavy and can do some bad damage that way.

I saw a caution in Trailer Life (I think) years ago for 5th-wheelers to check after every stop or back up slightly first to insure the hitch is locked.

I do two things at every stop. When I first stop, I walk around the trailer and feel the hubs and tires. When I return to the trailer, I make a quick check of the hitch area.

In the past, I have found one tire with tread starting to separate and one tire with a bubble. Both discoveries probably saved a blowout and consequent damage.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 02:35 PM   #30
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Master lock makes a lock available at most auto parts stores to lock the pin in to the receiver. Cost less than $10.00. I have heard some people say to not lock the tongue of the trailer to the tow vehicle in case of fire. A quick release pin or the like but nothing requiring a key. The reasoning is that if, god forbid, the trailer is on fire you can quickly disconnect and drop it. Thereby saving your tow vehicle. I think that the prevention of possible malicious activities vs. the chance of a trailer fire warrants the use of a lock.

I also would do a walk around after pulling off a site, before and after filling with fuel, or just a rest stop. Nothing beats regular visual inspection. I have had compartment doors come open, found push in locks that have popped, and the like. I now own a motor home and still do the walk at each stop, besides I can use the exercise.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 03:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Hitch lock

I have used a good old padlock in the past to lock the hitch. The one I have now, from Camping World, is a hardened pin that can be unscrewed only with the key inserted in the lock. There is a rubber cap that protects the lock from the elements.

I'll choose the day to day security of my trailer over worrying about a trailer fire burning my truck any day. The truck is just as insured as the trailer, has a lot shorter useful life, and is easy to replace.

Anyway, if there was a trailer fire, how long would it take to undo the equalizer bars, jack the trailer off the ball, and get the chains free. Depending on the slope, the trailer might even have to be chocked to get the ball to release. All that time standing next to the propane bottles. No thank you. I'll lock my hitch. I could unlock it in 10 seconds, anyway.
John W. Irwin
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Old 06-26-2002, 03:44 PM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm hesitant to put a lock for the same reason. Wal-Mart sells Reese pins and the associated cotter key for a very low price. It's just better to buy it and carry it as a backup.

I do the walk around also at every stop and check all components and tires. You never know what you might find.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 08:11 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member
who we are

Thought I'd join in and say hello. I am 47, my better half is 49, married 21 yrs. Both born and raised on the New Hampshire seacoast. I work as a Mental Health Provider to high risk children and in my spare time I am a studio potter. Both underpaid professions, but highly rewarding none-the-less. My husband is among the last of a dying breed...he's an inshore commercial fisherman...he loves his 'office' and daily commute with the whales. We live in a 200yr old rambling cape that we restored..soon to be working on our newly acquired 25', 87 Sovereign...hoping one day to find a small vintage beauty for weekends away. I run around in a sweet 67 bug all summer long...we hike with our dog, canoe, ride horses, fish (of course)and love to hang out with friends when we have time.....always open to new adventures.
RyeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 03:40 PM   #34
I'm Andrea Szabo born in Budapest Hungary. My family escaped during the 1956 unprising, so I grew up in New Zealand. Best beaches, forests and lakes. Came to USA 1968. Married, have 3 children. Hold a degree in Interior Architecture, focused on ergonomics and the more esoteric aspects of space and colour. Researched the alternative healing field, integrated what I learned and am now a practicing alternative therapist. This is quite rewarding. I have always loved aeronautical and nautical design, the fluidity, womb-like spaces..(igloo, huts, all organic architectural forms) to say nothing of the incredibly creative use of limited space, true functional art. So, how could I love anything but an airstream? Do I want an average living room in a shoe-box?
I have loved airstreams since I first saw one on the road from Arizona to Chicago in 1968. This is one American Icon I treasure. The others are my 91 corvette & rotary phone.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:06 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

My name is Terry O'Neill. I was born Oct 12 1959 In Edmonton Alberta, Canada. Barb and I were married in 1981 and moved to Calgary the same year. We have 2 girls, Kelly 10 and Keara 7. We started camping as a family about 6 years ago in a 13 ft Boler trailer. As the kids grew we needed a bigger unit and a bathroom.

In the fall of 2000 I purchased a '60 Overlander in Ohio that we brought home in June of last year. It was a great trip of about 6000 miles round trip. The only negative was the huge hailstorm that hit us in South Dakota. With thousands of dimples I decided to look for a new project and found my current 66 TradeWind.

We mainly escape to the nearby Rockies for weekend getaways but look forward to more extended treks.
Terry O'Neill
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
WBCCI 4786
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:07 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member
1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Airstream's & Airstreaming

Don't forget your story on how you got into Airstreams & Airstreaming.

83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 12:38 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member
Here goes, I (Ira) coming up on 82, my wife Opal coming up on 81, been married 58 years, I call her my live in girl friend, both from Ne and have known each other since knee high to a grasshopper, been Airstreaming for 32 years, 69, 31 footer for 29 years and was totalled when a wind storm put a tree across it, now have 78 Excella 500, rear bath, been across 47 states and Canada and one hundred thousand miles, still use our Airstream but stay close to home due to a few minor health problems, I was an Air Force Navigator for 12+ years then worked for Lockheed Aircraft for 29 years, my last Air Force flight as a navigator was non stop from London to Tucson 14 hours and 15 minutes in the air...nuff said
Ira Iburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:01 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England

...Chris here.....
Mmmm...Guess you know I am from the UK, commonly known as Great Britain, well I'm STILL trying to discover what's GREAT about the place...
I was born in '53, ( jan )...sooooooo I got a BIG-5-0 on it's way, sorry to say I hav'nt had an exciting past, YET...SIGH, the only flying I do is when we all trip the POND to FLA:, oh yea !, I flew over the HANDLE BARS on my cycle once...( still sore )
I distribute FILTERS for a well known American firm, to all over the world...been there 10 yrs, married, 4 GREAT kids...31 thru 26,
LOVE AMERICANA...and Airstreams, banjo music, as I'm from the ESSEX countryside...I love the outdoors, and my labrador ( TOBY )
he is 6 this sunday...oldest PUPPY I know....
Would like to THANK you ALL for putting up with me...and EDUCATING ME...God bless AMERICA...
It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 11:13 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member
Cool Flying

I've been reading all these flying stories and thought ai'd add my two bits worth.

My name is Gordon Watt and am 60. I still fly for a living and currently fly CL215 Water Bombers in Manitoba,, more specifically out of Thompson, Manitoba. These aircraft are flying boats grossed out at 43500 pounds and come equipped with a pair of Pratt & Whitney R-2800s (lots of noise).

My home is Winnipeg and during the summer I live in Thompson in my 31 foot Airstream Soveriegn. It's real comfy.

My wife stays in Winnipeg and gives me the boot come spring time when the forest fire season starts.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 11:20 AM   #40
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic

Gordon, you are flying with two absolutely great engines. After flying many hours with a pair of R-2800s in the C123, I love that engine. I'm convinced that it is the best recip ever built. We virtually never had a failure with them and I never had to shut one down.

They were a real relief after the R-4360s in the C-119C.
John W. Irwin
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Old 07-12-2002, 12:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Chris in Doncaster

Chris - Those are some kind words for the colonies, coming from your side of the pond. The irony is that I really love being almost anywhere in your country. Lived in Aberdeen & loved it. Toured Wales & loved it. Lived in London & tried to get out to see as much of England as possible, and loved it. I'm into history, mostly English history, and I can't seem to get enough - motoring all over the UK & trying to piece it all together. Trying to get a feel for what life was like during the periods of war & peace in the Dark & Middle Ages, for the baron as well as for his serfs, then on thru the Tudor period. Love the true meaning of the Arthurian Legend and want to believe he really is there, waiting for the time when he & Merlin are most needed. I haven't been in the UK for over 5 years now, but still maintain my NT membership because of the good work they do, not only with the palaces, but the small holdings and countryside also. I'd still love to have a small Tudor cottage in the fields outside someplace like Chester.
To be able to tour the UK with my Ford F250 PSD & 27' Safari!!
The stuff of dreams & Lottos.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 01:36 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member
1985 27' Sovereign
1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia

I'm 52 and have lived in Georgia most of my life. Hope to retire from the fire dept. in 3 yrs. with 31 yrs of service....then will hit the road full time with my wife, Ruth. We are fairly new to Airstreaming, with buying our first unit 3 yrs ago (72 25' land yacht). Recently, I just purchased, from the 2nd owner, a 56 26' Overlander that is in 95% original condition. This is a great site with loads of info....I will use it and hope to contribute when able.

Buy the way, back in May, Ruth & I took 17 days off and went on our longest trip yet...up the east coast to Bar Harbor, Maine. Best vacation we've ever had....decided that we could do this more often after we retire.
Attached Images

Levon is offline   Reply With Quote