Old 06-25-2002, 01:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Cool Who are all these folks?

Hello to all. My name is Jim Whitworth. Born in Austin, Texas, I am 55 years old, still working and happy about that. I spent almost 18 years living & working overseas, from Scotland & England to the middle east (Dubai, Oman, Somalia & Yemen). Married for 19 years, recently divorced, leaving me closer to daughter Brittney, son-in-law Adam and grandson Andrew than I have been in years. I love to travel, shop & haggle for antiques, farm animals and the country way of life. With that in mind, I bought a small patch of land in the Texas hill country southwest of Austin between Wimberley & Blanco, where I hope to retire. I recently completed a project to have the road & culverts onto the place built, bury the electricity line, drill the water well & erect a nice well house / tool shed / work shop over the water well, build a nice shed for my 27 ft. Safari and finally to bury the electricity & water utilities to that shed. Saturday, June 22nd was the "Big Day", when I was finally able to bring "Dad's New Lady" (the Safari) home, to make staying up there on weekends & holidays all that much more wonderful.

I hope to be able to offer other A/S'ers overnight-to-short term parking by sometime next year.

Son-in-law Adam is building a website for me, definately a "work in progress", but I envite you to visit us at www.whitsend.blibberblabber.com There you'll see my "Lady"'s shed covering. Just envision that as a lean-to to the eventual 6-stall barn which will eventually go up. All good things in time.

Please beware - Aluminitus is both expensive and contaigous.

Your thoughts & comments are welcome.
Jim

Old 06-25-2002, 03:40 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Talking

Hi Jim,
Glad to see you here. For those of you who don't know Jim, he also lurks out on the Airstream List and can give you first hand knowledge regarding the power of the breakaway switch on his new Safari and the power of his tow vehicle.....and its abilitly to move that Safari....

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Gotta hear this story

Now, you've opened the door, let's hear the breakaway switch story and all the rest, Jim.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 12:25 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

another aviator

I am Jay Iski. Born 2/1/53 Carswell AFB. Navy 72-78 Nuclear Reactor Operator aircraft Carrier Enterprise CVAN-65 and “Steely Eyed Killer of the Deep” Fast Attack boat USS Whale SSN-638. I had a “Good Wife” but she went back to her husband. Flying is the only thing I ever loved that did not betray me. I have only been licensed in single engine land for 15 years. I learned to read the instruments by lightning in West Texas. Most of my time was in a Grumman AA-5 but I like the Turbo Pipers. Almost all my time was at night, solo cross country. My favorite strip is Catalina’s “Airport in the Sky”.
Worked oil wireline many times till it crippled me. Used to make rain in Santa Barbara County. I have been in university for the past 4 years at University if Texas at Arlington and now at Texas Christian University.
I hope to get my first Airstream this year, sell my home and go an extended trout fishing expedition.

Jay Iski
Fort Worth, Texas
Old 06-26-2002, 07:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Carswell AFB

Jay ...

When I was dating my first wife in 1953, I used to stay overnight at the BOQ at Carswell AFB while she stayed overnight with her two maiden aunts on a little hill a mile north and right in line with the runway. At that time the base had B-36 bombers and when they took off, they would clear the aunt's house by just a couple of hundred feet with 6 4360 cubic-inch engines turning and 4 J-47 jet engines burning. The noise was unbelievable and dishes would jump right off the table.

I later flew a radar intercept on a B-36 in an F-86D. I came out of a cloud and the whole sky in front of me was filled with airplane. I was so amazed that I flew right behind him and his wash turned me every which way but up.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-26-2002, 10:44 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

John,
I have spent time in the a home at "inspiration point" at Lake Worth and watched the Falcons; I maintained the guns on them, M61A1. When you were here I guess I was a baby in Liberator village. The planes did make noise in those days. I think the loudest era was the F-111 because they took it super sonic many times a day at low altitude over the base.
I have a photo hanging on the wall of a B-36 that hung in SAC HQ at Carswell.
You are fortunate to have played with the nice toys like the Sabre. I always liked the appearance of the "Shooting Star".

I think my interest in Airstream comes from it's aviation appearance. I wish they had included an electrical production and distribution system or built in accommodation for it. I am now looking at the Yamaha 2800.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Jet planes

I was an instrument and intercept instructor at Perrin AFB in Sherman, TX, 1953-1956. I flew the T-33 which was the 2-seat version of the "Shooting Star", and the rocket-armed F-86D "Sabre-Dog". I spent a lot of time in the skies over the Dallas-Fort Worth area. We used to shoot approaches at Carswell and Navy Hensley.

I once had a wall plaque with quote from Hemmingway to the effect that a man has a deep affection for the first fighter that he ever flys that can never quite be matched. There's a lot of truth in that. I lost the quote years ago when my house burned and I haven't been able to locate it again.

I was called up for the Berlin crisis and spent the best year of my life flying in Europe. Later, I flew C-119 and C-123 transports in the Reserves and really enjoyed that, also. That's me in the dark flying suit in 1953.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-26-2002, 11:05 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Whoops ... hit post too soon

Me in the dark flying suit, summer '53
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t33_group_400.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	288  
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-26-2002, 11:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Breakaway switch

The breakaway switch has always been a concern to me. I always worried about some kid or some joker pulling the pin, either accidentally or as a prank. It could sure drain your battery in a hurry and we all know that batteries never fully recover from being completely drained.

When I bought the AS, the tech at the dealer hooked the cable into the snap on the chain. I've have just left it hooked there. When I unhitch, I put the equalizer bar hooks back up and then I hang the chain snaps on the pins of the equalizer bar hooks and lay the equalizer bars across in front of the propane tanks. Everything is off the ground and nothing can be easily snagged.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-26-2002, 12:12 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

John that is a great photo. Shows the tandem seat and the F-80 intakes. What a day that was.

"Once you have flown,
you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been, and there you long to return. "

These trailer hitching "war stories" are just the ticket for me. I have so very little towing experience and have never known anyone with a mobile enclosure. Som,e years ago I did tow the cherry picker up to the old mans house at the top of the mountain ever winter. The enclosure followed me but I do not remember what vehicle they used. Ronald Reagan did not charge rent for letting us mount our radar on his ranch because it was a public service. He also did not recieve any public notice.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Re: Gotta hear this story

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
Now, you've opened the door, let's hear the breakaway switch story and all the rest, Jim.
OK, now this is all sorta painful & very embarrassing to admit, but here goes ...

Other than when I pulled Dad's Other Lady (my '02 Safari) from the dealer over to some friend's property, the first time I used Lady for some camping was last February to go on the Salt Grass Trail Ride, 90 miles, Sealy to Houston, 5 days of boondock camping, a different site each nite, horses & wagons, etc. Well, after arriving at the 1st camp spot that Friday pm, I unhitched the trailer from the new F-250 PSD (so the truck could be used for trips into town to shop for bulk food needs). I carefully put the power cord & emergency brake wire around & behind the jack stand, the chains around the trailer's tongue. Well, sometime over the next day & a half, somebody walking by must have hooked the brake wire in a shoe (boot!!) and pulled the emergency brake clip out of its housing.

So, we hitched up again around 4:30 am Sunday in the early am haze & fog. Trailer onto the hitch ball, chains crossed onto the hitch, brake wire to one of the chain hookups & power cord snug in its outlet & all double checked, including the lights & brakes.

My group of about 35 campers & horse trailers pull out, heading to the next camp spot in Bellville, Tx. My rig seems to be just fine, nothing out of order. We all stopped about 3 to 4 miles down the road & I got out to stretch my arthritic knees, only to find smoke billowing out of my wheelwells of my brand new "life's dream" Airstream Safari!!! Well, when the heart attack cleared, I found the emergency brake clip had been pulled out of its housing and I had been pulling the trailer for that 3 to 4 miles with the brakes locked up. If you are wondering, new brakes for a 2002 Safari run around $800. But, in my defense, I never even thought to check that that plug was in place!!? Never will I make that mistake again!!

Also, FWIW, absolutely nothing about pulling the Safari was any different. The RPM's were normal, the engine "sound" was the same, the general overall feel of pulling the trailer - nothing gave me any indication of a problem. Speaks to the awsome power of the F250 PSD.

To Jack Canavera - I'll get you for this one! Some day, just when you least expect it, ...........(;
Old 06-26-2002, 01:46 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Re: Gotta hear this story/lessons learned

Quote:
Originally posted by jim whitworth

To Jack Canavera - I'll get you for this one! Some day, just when you least expect it, ...........(;
Ah yes.....but the lesson was important and all you towing newbee's remember to look at that connector before you start out. Someday I'll tell you about my old pop up camper days when I pulled the end off the fresh water hose under pressure while I was making some final adjustments to my camper positioning....unfortunately forgetting about the fact that I had just hooked up and turned on the campsite spigot.

Jim you related the story much better than me....you have probably saved a lot of folks the grief you experienced on that early morning. Most of us have some things that we would rather not talk about.

One other thing to check, is your hitch pin that locks your tow bar into the vehicle's receiver. I have heard reports of people going into a resturant or overnighting were some prankster pulls the pin and you don't find out until your safety chains are the only thing hanging on to your trailer.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 02:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Hitch pin lock

I wouldn't be without a lock on the hitch pin. Far too easy for someone to walk off with a few hundred dollars worth of hitch otherwise. I ordinarily leave the hitch on the truck if I'm stopping somewhere for just a night or two.

I also have a lockable pin that goes through the release handle on the hitch, not only as a theft deterrent, but also to insure that the pin stays just where I put it when travelling.

Two more keys on my keychain.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-26-2002, 02:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Re: Re: Re: Gotta hear this story/lessons learned

Quote:
Originally posted by jcanavera
One other thing to check, is your hitch pin that locks your tow bar into the vehicle's receiver. I have heard reports of people going into a resturant or overnighting were some prankster pulls the pin and you don't find out until your safety chains are the only thing hanging on to your trailer. Jack
Jack - I've heard those same horror stories. And I have done some malicious things as a kid. But nothing ever to endanger the life of another person (or animal) or purposely damage property (other than a commercial outhouse we "borrowed" for the top of a college bon fire once. The owner spotted it 65' up there and decided to call it a donation rather than prosequte us).

I'm sure glad you reminded me. With my food addiction & bladder, I stop a lot, leaving lots of opportunity for the kids to be kids. I'll do a better check now before getting back on the road.

Jim