Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Which AS for almost empty nesters?

Hello, my DH and I have twin boys who are 17. We currently have a pop-up (Starcraft with A/C and a slide out) DH and I have looked longingly (well, admittedly me more than DH) at airstream trailers. Both vintage and new. DH wants a bed, not too big. I'm thinking something between 19-22 ft. 25 feet would be max for us.

Now the tough part. Airstreams that 'sleep 4' don't seem to be built for a family with three full-sized men. (Hubby is 6'2", the boys not far behind).

What Airstream do you think would work for us? Sould we wait a couple of years and then get an empty-nester twinkie?

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome! I'm 6'-3" and am very comfortable in my 72 Tradewind (25').
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'd stay away from the 70's with the mid twin beds for sure. I was 6' tall eight years ago (shrinking to 5'11" now in my late 50's) and the mid twin in my '77 Excella 500 was rather miserable. I just didn't seem to have the headroom and footroom I desired. I cured that with an '86 Sovereign 25' that has a mattress 75" tall and 52-53" wide.

I'd look at the any of the new Front Bedroom (FB) 23' and 25' with the 75" X 60" beds and check the size of the dinnette or couches to accomodate others in your family.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Sounds like great advise. I'll look for the 75" beds in my quest for an Airstream. I'm thinking half the fun is the chase.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
There are just 3 of us now, and my last "child" is now 18, and if a friend is along she sleeps in a tent. As a result it is usually just my wife and I in the trailer.
We just gave up a nice 21' Globetrotter in favor of a 25' six sleeper. I have no plans on going back to anything shorter.
The difference in towing is negligable and the extra room is great. I highly recommend buying larger, rather than smaller. Within reason.
My 2 cents.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets
Hello, my DH and I have twin boys who are 17. We currently have a pop-up (Starcraft with A/C and a slide out) DH and I have looked longingly (well, admittedly me more than DH) at airstream trailers. Both vintage and new. DH wants a bed, not too big. I'm thinking something between 19-22 ft. 25 feet would be max for us.

Now the tough part. Airstreams that 'sleep 4' don't seem to be built for a family with three full-sized men. (Hubby is 6'2", the boys not far behind).

What Airstream do you think would work for us? Sould we wait a couple of years and then get an empty-nester twinkie?

TK
You are going to need three "beds". The modren trailers have a queen or I thnik you can now get a king bed. A couch that folds down into a bed and if you get a dinette the will convert into a bed. They are ok for short term use but over 6 feet tall is going to be a problem.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Opt for larger rather than small. Extra room is never an issue.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
There are just 3 of us now, and my last "child" is now 18, and if a friend is along she sleeps in a tent. As a result it is usually just my wife and I in the trailer.
We just gave up a nice 21' Globetrotter in favor of a 25' six sleeper. I have no plans on going back to anything shorter.
The difference in towing is negligable and the extra room is great. I highly recommend buying larger, rather than smaller. Within reason.
My 2 cents.
Dave
25' is a big as my hubby wants to go. Does your Safari really sleep six? I've drooled over that floor plan...the nearest Airstream dealer is an hour away....RATS
Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Looks like you all lean towards bigger....good to know. I appreciate everyone's posting!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
You'll also appreciate the extra room of a larger trailer in the event that you're stuck inside due to inclement weather or the like. It's nice that your twin boys still want to have time with Mom and Dad.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
When we were younger my sisters and I traveled with our parents [5 of us] in a 28' trailer; my Dad and I are both over 6' and 200#. I happily slept on the floor with an air mattress, my sisters on a fold-out couch and my parents on the twin beds. Trips of up to three/four weeks. Seemed fine to this 17-yr old. What mattered was that there was no lack of space outside (although rainy, cold days [think Leadville, CO] could be a little cramped).

One needs something besides video/internet/tv to allow privacy for others, as I see it. There is always a book or three on the vacation area that allows one to learn of the differences between here and home.

I have a '34 now and would have preferred a 28', but we bought the best one available at the time. A much bigger choice of new and used Airstreams ought to set you well.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
When we were younger my sisters and I traveled with our parents [5 of us] in a 28' trailer; my Dad and I are both over 6' and 200#. I happily slept on the floor with an air mattress, my sisters on a fold-out couch and my parents on the twin beds. Trips of up to three/four weeks. Seemed fine to this 17-yr old. What mattered was that there was no lack of space outside (although rainy, cold days [think Leadville, CO] could be a little cramped).

One needs something besides video/internet/tv to allow privacy for others, as I see it. There is always a book or three on the vacation area that allows one to learn of the differences between here and home.

I have a '34 now and would have preferred a 28', but we bought the best one available at the time. A much bigger choice of new and used Airstreams ought to set you well.
Thanks for your post! Now we'll have to check out the floor space Never really thought about that. I'm leaning towards something around 25'. We've camped with the boys since they were nine. We have always had a no video games rule once we reach our destination.

It is heart warming that some of their best memories of being young (LOL like 17 is old!) are of the camping trips we've taken rain or shine.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
To understand basic sizes it'll pay to see some Airstreams at a dealer. The mention of the six-sleeper raises this point most of all. It will sleep six only if you have four very small children who will never grow. It involves collapsing the dinette table and another bed being made up on the couch -- each of which will only hold one adult. So it might get you close to your intended plan -- 3 full-sized guys. The caution about six-sleepers is the corner master bed -- the wall side of the bed should be occupied by a fairly short person only.

If you're going to go newer I'd suggest don't overlook the 25' FB models. Mom & dad sleep up front. Collapse the dinette for one person. The couch pulls out into the aisle space a bit; relocate the backrest cushion and you have space for the second of your twins. All that without having to deal with the corner double bed. But you'd need to answer the question of suitability about the corner bed by seeing one first.

Your sons will be occasional camping partners only if they're anything like my son & daughter. Will they even be camping with you in 3-4 years? I'd go with the Airstream that suits you & your husband first. Just an opinion...

Getting set up in a vintage could take a lot of restoration work (18-24 months?) before you even get camping with it. Be fully aware of potential restoration issues before taking this on if your DH is lukewarm in the first place. That can be a mighty long haul.

Check out a dealer who keeps Airstreams in stock. Visit a Forums rally. Try a corner bed to see if it works for you (usually only in 25' six-sleeper and 19' Bambi). Check out the Classifieds here -- people buy and then trade up or leave RVing entirely -- follow them for a while and you'll see quite a few 2-3 year old Airstreams.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Bigger generally means more storage which can be good or bad.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
I've drooled over that floor plan...the nearest Airstream dealer is an hour away....RATS
Only an hour away. Thats close. Right now my closest dealer is five hours away. Make a day out of it and have fun!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
To understand basic sizes it'll pay to see some Airstreams at a dealer. The mention of the six-sleeper raises this point most of all. It will sleep six only if you have four very small children who will never grow. It involves collapsing the dinette table and another bed being made up on the couch -- each of which will only hold one adult. So it might get you close to your intended plan -- 3 full-sized guys. The caution about six-sleepers is the corner master bed -- the wall side of the bed should be occupied by a fairly short person only.

If you're going to go newer I'd suggest don't overlook the 25' FB models. Mom & dad sleep up front. Collapse the dinette for one person. The couch pulls out into the aisle space a bit; relocate the backrest cushion and you have space for the second of your twins. All that without having to deal with the corner double bed. But you'd need to answer the question of suitability about the corner bed by seeing one first.

Your sons will be occasional camping partners only if they're anything like my son & daughter. Will they even be camping with you in 3-4 years? I'd go with the Airstream that suits you & your husband first. Just an opinion...

Getting set up in a vintage could take a lot of restoration work (18-24 months?) before you even get camping with it. Be fully aware of potential restoration issues before taking this on if your DH is lukewarm in the first place. That can be a mighty long haul.

Check out a dealer who keeps Airstreams in stock. Visit a Forums rally. Try a corner bed to see if it works for you (usually only in 25' six-sleeper and 19' Bambi). Check out the Classifieds here -- people buy and then trade up or leave RVing entirely -- follow them for a while and you'll see quite a few 2-3 year old Airstreams.
Sage advise Bob. DH and I are thinking of looking/waiting a year or two and then just getting the Airstream of my - er I mean our - dreams without taking the boys into consideration.

We will probably take your advise and go with a newer model. I usually sit around the fire later than the hubby so I'd be climbing over him on a corner bed so the FB models may suit us better.

I see you and your DW have a 25' Safari. How is the storage on that? Where would we put our roadtrip grill, carpet for outside under the awning, tools, and bikes? All that is in the front compartment of our pop-up (not the bikes, four of those are on top.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
25' is a big as my hubby wants to go. Does your Safari really sleep six? I've drooled over that floor plan...the nearest Airstream dealer is an hour away....RATS
In a pinch it would, but comfortably? - not for six adults. 2 on the bed, one on the sofa, one on the dinette is probably a much as I would suggest in most cases.
The six sleeper is a great floor plan but it also has it's drawbacks. The two issues I have with it are the bed and the small toilet area. There is a privacy screen that seperates the bed/bath area from the rest of the trailer. Overall I think it is a good use of available space.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Only an hour away. Thats close. Right now my closest dealer is five hours away. Make a day out of it and have fun!
That's putting it in perspective I'm going to call the three dealers within 3 hours of us and see who has the most inventory. I think there will be some type of bribery involved to get the family to participate in a road trip

So many models to choose from....I don't know how we'll ever decide!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
What size?

I believe you have already some very sage advice. I will just pass along our experience.

We have a 30' Classic.

We purchased our trailer in 2001. At the time, our daughter was 22, unmairied and interested in a young man. Our son was 16 and growing.
I am 6'4" and 260, my son is now 6'4" and at least 300, my daughter is now married and her DH is 6'1" and about 190.

When we purchased the AS, it fit our family wonderfully. Today 7 years later, it still fits our family. They love it and look forward to the two or three weekends a summer we can all get together and do someting fun.

We would not be able to accomodate all if we had a smaller unit. The sofa opens to a usable double and the dinetter folds into a double for smaller people. We use the outside with the awning and are very active with the outdoors when all are present.

My DW and I will take the unit with the dog for two and half weeks this summer just to be by ourselves. I can't think of a better unit to serve all and provide me we a great bed to sleep in.

I guess what I'm trying to say, don't make the mistake to purchase to the family you have today. The family you hae today will change. We like to have ours around and appreciate the interaction with them as their lives change. The AS is used to facilitate this interaction.

Good luck

Mark
Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
I see you and your DW have a 25' Safari. How is the storage on that? Where would we put our roadtrip grill, carpet for outside under the awning, tools, and bikes? All that is in the front compartment of our pop-up (not the bikes, four of those are on top.
Gettin' down to the nitty gritty now... Hope we can hook you on aluminitis!

I was camping in a friend's 31' Jayco for a short period last summer -- it's one of the few full size trailers that has pass-through front storage similar to what your popup may have. But still .... Jayco? As much as we can go hot and cold on Jackson Center's design decisions, Airstreams had that trailer beat in so many ways.

25' newer Airstreams can be hefty. You'll still have to talk through tow vehicles. I was not quite sure any of them have generous outside storage -- until we made the serendipitous choice of the twin bed arrangement. There is one small compartment standard on all 25' FB, 27' FB & 28' FB Int'l. Except that the twin bed option fits in two additional good sized outside compartments. I use one of these for hoses & water gear and the other for chairs, under-awning mat, and a lot more. I put my Roadtrip grill in the back of my truck. Bikes go inside the back of my truck and the canoe goes on top of the truck. All of this load needs adequate tow vehicle payload capacity -- a different issue for a different day. I've posted on my outside storage compartments here.

The midwest Moraine View rally attracts member cosmotini from the St. Louis area -- he wowed me last June with his brand new 28' FB International. It's the height of luxury and sleeping comfort. With a longer Airstream like his, it has a front-to-back oriented queen bed. Us? We're staying with the 25' and the twin beds. We decline to answer questions on whether that makes us British...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote