Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat
Thanks Paula! This is the kind of Airstream I dream of! Vintage exterior, totally new interior, warm but modern and "green", designed just for us and how we live

Thank you for the link and the encouragement!
Lynda
Hi Lynda, here is the link to our renovation: www.area3productions.com and go to blog......our trailer is the 68 Ambassador 28'. The 63 belongs to Uwe who is doing our trailer .....he posts the progress that he is making on the Airstream and his attention to detail is is impeccable.

Keep us posted on your adventure....it is always fun to follow the paths of others--as there are many paths from which to choose--although I have to tell you I had to drag my DH away from the new ones at the Airstream dealership on more than one occasion. He finally told me to stop taking him there. But I wanted to see all of the models and be sure that renovating a Vintage AS was the right path for us. The new ones are very nice as well. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #42
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot
Hi Lynda, here is the link to our renovation: www.area3productions.com and go to blog......our trailer is the 68 Ambassador 28'. The 63 belongs to Uwe who is doing our trailer .....he posts the progress that he is making on the Airstream and his attention to detail is is impeccable. paula
Hi Paula, I could not get the link to work - is it correct or is it just me?
Looking forward to checking our your renovation
thanks!
Lynda

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat
Hi Paula, I could not get the link to work - is it correct or is it just me?
Looking forward to checking our your renovation
thanks!
Lynda
No, it is me....sometimes I make the goofiest mistakes. Try this: Area 63 Productions. We are choosing the awing color this week.......still more to do on the shell........paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
There should be a 6 in front of the 3 in the link. It's "Area 63 Productions."

Uwe is pretty famous around here, you should check out his thread "A 63 For Me" sometime, if you want some light reading...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
In the photos of the Barbra Brown Airstream, I like how they eliminated the range hood and added a dish towel bar above the burner. Good way to set fire to the interior. Architects are usually all about design. The way things look instead of, will it work. Reminds me of the "Design within Reach" Airstream. In reality: bad design that 90% + of the population can't afford.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Bad design

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
In the photos of the Barbra Brown Airstream, I like how they eliminated the range hood and added a dish towel bar above the burner. Good way to set fire to the interior. Architects are usually all about design. The way things look instead of, will it work. Reminds me of the "Design within Reach" Airstream. In reality: bad design that 90% + of the population can't afford.
It is easy to fine "bad design" everywhere if you are looking for it.....just read the threads here on the corrosion issue and the quality control issues of Airstream designed trailers. Our own 68 had ribs in the back under the back window that stopped 8 inches above the c channel (with will be redone in our rebuild). The reason I shared the Barbara Brown Airstream was to share ideas of how renovations can turn out......to think outside the box or the tube as it may be and always just because you could doesn't mean you would.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
Architects are usually all about design. The way things look instead of, will it work.
As an Architect, I take exception to this. When form dictates, rather than function, there can be a disconnect. Many of us are very pragmatic in our approach by necessity. If the design fails, we run out of work pretty darned quickly and can face action by our governing body, paricularly if life safety issues come in to play. Building "designers" are a different story as they have no accountability to a governing body.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Great experience with architect

We personally had a great experience with the architect that designed our home and everything about our home works really well......in fact, we are still in contact and he is interested in our Airstream project as well. He is extremely talented and also extremely knowledgeable about materials and their suitability. We don't do anything construction wise without running it by him including other projects.

And Christopher Deam is another architect that has made a big impact on Airstream design with the 2007 International CCD.

I credit Barbara Brown with giving us the courage to dare to dream about a what if kind of Airstream and then to pursue it. I think she did a great job designing the Airstream and I am pretty sure she caught the eye of some folks at Jackson Center as well. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 05-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Wow, we sure have digressed from my asking for advise about what size AS to purchase....
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Sometimes those reminders are needed.

Buy 25'

Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Sometimes those reminders are needed.

Buy 25'

Dave
Thanks Dave

We are leaning towards the 25' Safari with the front twin beds. More outside storage (still not enough to make DH thrilled) and ours sons could sleep on those and we the couch/sofa if/when we camped together. If the boys aren't with us we can make believe we are Rob and Laura Petry

Rumor has it this may be a Flying Cloud by the time we buy.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
tksbaskets, we have a 25' front bedroom with twins and love it. You do sacrifice the ability to do the "turn over and quit snoring" nudge, but it so pays off in floor and storage space. With the twins, the room transforms to another completely useable sitting/lying area, as well as having a visual flow to that end of the trailer.

We've used the other options for guests, and I'm sure your sons (can sleep anywhere I bet) would be happy wherever they land.

And Paula, I can't wait to see the finished product! Hooray for your vision.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
tksbaskets, we have a 25' front bedroom with twins and love it. You do sacrifice the ability to do the "turn over and quit snoring" nudge, but it so pays off in floor and storage space. With the twins, the room transforms to another completely useable sitting/lying area, as well as having a visual flow to that end of the trailer.

We've used the other options for guests, and I'm sure your sons (can sleep anywhere I bet) would be happy wherever they land.

And Paula, I can't wait to see the finished product! Hooray for your vision.
Thanks Janet! It's great to hear from people who are enjoying the AS we are dreaming of
Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #54
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
25fb

The 25 foot Front Bedroom has a rear queen bed for Mom and Dad and a dinette that makes into a bed for one large pereson along with a good sized sofa to sleep another large person. When not sleeping there is plenty of sitting space for 4 people.

The shower and bath accomodate pretty tall folks (6' 2") without a problem. The holding tanks are big enough that you will not have to empty them every day and the Fridge and pantry are also good sized. The weight of the trailer at 5500 lb for a Safari, is light enough to pull with a full size pickup or full size SUV.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
The 25 foot Front Bedroom has a rear queen bed for Mom and Dad and a dinette that makes into a bed for one large pereson along with a good sized sofa to sleep another large person. When not sleeping there is plenty of sitting space for 4 people.

The shower and bath accomodate pretty tall folks (6' 2") without a problem. The holding tanks are big enough that you will not have to empty them every day and the Fridge and pantry are also good sized. The weight of the trailer at 5500 lb for a Safari, is light enough to pull with a full size pickup or full size SUV.
It was fun when I got the email today that someone had replied to this thread I started in 2008 I am VERY happy to report that we are in the second season of camping in our 2007 Safari SE FB Twin and it is PERFECT for almost empty nesters for just the reasons Jim J states. The boys (actually young men) fight much less than they did sharing a king sized bunk in the popup because they sleep on the dinette/couch and just their feet meet and that not very often. They have LOTS of space and they are both 6'.

It is a little tight to get around once the beds are made up but do-able. When DH and I get up in the morning we usually just nudge the guys and they walk Frankenstein style back to the twin beds and sleep three more hours.

I then make the beds back into a dinette and couch and we are good to go. Had full hook ups on our last trip (now THAT will spoil you!) and used the shower for the first time. It was great to not have to drag everything down to the public shower or worry about shower dirt. Most of our camping is in state parks so we won't get too used to that. We have a trip planned to Cedar Point (Ohio) in August and opted for the full hook ups there.

Haven't had any DOH moments this year either besides wanting to put the awning support arm on the little nobbie that you pull to release the sides. I will probably do that every year the first trip. YEESH. Must mean we should camp more!

This past camping trip we had a bit of rain (UNDERSTATEMENT) and we put down the dinette and fit 10 adults in the camper (5 across the dinette, 3 on the couch, 2 on the floor) and watched episodes of the Big Bang Theory. Good times!

WE LOVE OUR AIRSTREAM!