Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot
Sometimes losing out is a good thing especially if you have just started looking......if you choose this route (renovating), you have to be prepared to spot rotten floors and bad axles........these things can be fixed--it is just important that you do not renovate over bad flooring and bad axles....which means, don't overpay for an older unit that the PO says "everything works" and if you don't know how to spot soft floors or bad axles (and who is born with that knowledge?), please ask a forum member who has agreed to inspect to help........don't ask me how I know.......paula
There are forum members who will help you inspect? How do we find these angels? DH is crafty but like you said who is born knowing what to look for in a vintage trailer.

DH and I are going to a 'Tin Can Tourist' rally here in Michigan tomorrow. FUN to see the vintage trailers and owners. We went last year too. There is a rally in our area in August too so we'll plan to go to that one also and talk to AS owners.

You have all been wonderful!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Hi tksbaskets,

I didn't see it mentioned in any of the other posts but Airstreams are measured from the hitch to the bumper. So a 25' is approximately 22' of actual trailer length with the hitch and bumper making up the approximate 3'. I don't know if this has any influence on your trailer length decision but wanted to make sure you knew that.

When we got our 2004 28' trailer, we bought it with the 2 youngest of 4 still living at home in mind. There was only 1 time that that all 4 of us went on a trip. There were 2 or 3 times that 3 of us went on a trip. My daughters are not rv fans.

When we got our 2008 27' trailer, we bought it with just us (and 2 terriers) in mind.

Good luck and have fun doing the research. You should try to come to the Moraine View rally. You don't need an Airstream to attend and others will be bringing their SOB's (some other brands). You'll see quite a variety of Airstreams and Argosys.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Hi tksbaskets,

I didn't see it mentioned in any of the other posts but Airstreams are measured from the hitch to the bumper. So a 25' is approximately 22' of actual trailer length with the hitch and bumper making up the approximate 3'. I don't know if this has any influence on your trailer length decision but wanted to make sure you knew that.

When we got our 2004 28' trailer, we bought it with the 2 youngest of 4 still living at home in mind. There was only 1 time that that all 4 of us went on a trip. There were 2 or 3 times that 3 of us went on a trip. My daughters are not rv fans.

When we got our 2008 27' trailer, we bought it with just us (and 2 terriers) in mind.

Good luck and have fun doing the research. You should try to come to the Moraine View rally. You don't need an Airstream to attend and others will be bringing their SOB's (some other brands). You'll see quite a variety of Airstreams and Argosys.
Where is the Moraine View Rally going to be held? If it is in "Moraine View" where is that in relation to Michigan?
Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Here is the link for Moraine View.

DNR
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Here is the link for the Moraine View Rally.

Google maps says its 392 miles from Detroit.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets
There are forum members who will help you inspect? How do we find these angels? DH is crafty but like you said who is born knowing what to look for in a vintage trailer.

To find an inspector in the area of the trailer, you can go to the member list and put in your state and scroll down to inspector and highlight what you want to be inspected and hit search......those members who are willing to inspect have registered that on their profiles. Good luck and have fun...we hope to see you down the road. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Spent the afternoon at the Tin Can Camper Rally here in Michigan. LOTS of vintage campers, most in fine shape. Liked the Caravel, Bambies are cute but too small. Overlanders a good size.

DH came up to me this evening and said, "Can I tell you how I really feel?"....DOH, not what someone dreaming of an AS wants to hear but after 20 years of marriage I reply, "Not really but lay it on me." Here I was thinking OK, x-nay on the Airstream - Ay. He then says, "I've got to tell you I don't really like the vintage campers. If we get one I prefer the sleek look of the new Airstreams" Guess it will be a new or a gently used camper for us in the future!

Still wondering about size......

TK
Old 05-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey, there is something to be said for the newer models...and it all depends on your personal druthers and how much time & money you are willing to put into restoring an older AS...

Size? That depends a lot on how you want to use it...and for how long at a time. Think about that and go to a dealership and try them all out for "fit"...We love the 19' Bambi for how we use it...long weekends and 2-week long trips, etc...and perhaps even longer...for 2 adults and 2 medium pups...but if we were spending months at a time in it, we'd probablhy want a bigger one just so we don't strangle one another if for no other reason... The biggest thing is knowing how you plan to use it...

Whatever you decide, you are beginnning a wonderful adventure....

See you down the road!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
If we get one I prefer the sleek look of the new Airstreams" Guess it will be a new or a gently used camper for us in the future!

TK
Last fall we traded our 30 foot SOB in for a 2001 Safari 25SS. Our two teenage kids aren't coming along as often so my DW and I decided to get something that would be easier to tow and fit more easily onto the Provincial Park campsites we prefer. If we had the money we would have opted for one of the newer 27 foot FB units, but we found a 2001 Safari 25SS in excellent condition for a fair price.

What attracted us to the 25SS was that it had a dedicated dinette and open living area and could accommodate our family of four with relative ease when needed. Our former 30 footer had a slide which was a bit troublesome, so while I didn't want to have to mess around with a slide with the new trailer, I didn't want to lose too much space either -- the 2001's 8.5 foot widebody and the open living area met our needs. Coming from a 30 footer with a slide, I wouldn't consider going less than 25 feet even for just two people.

As has been mentioned two well known downsides of the 25SS is the corner bed and small bathroom, but we don't see them as being a real problem -- it just comes down to setting priorities and realizing that you can't have everything.

Good luck!
Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Not all vintage trailers are alike

Quote:
Spent the afternoon at the Tin Can Camper Rally here in Michigan. LOTS of vintage campers, most in fine shape. Liked the Caravel, Bambies are cute but too small. Overlanders a good size.

DH came up to me this evening and said, "Can I tell you how I really feel?"....DOH, not what someone dreaming of an AS wants to hear but after 20 years of marriage I reply, "Not really but lay it on me." Here I was thinking OK, x-nay on the Airstream - Ay. He then says, "I've got to tell you I don't really like the vintage campers. If we get one I prefer the sleek look of the new Airstreams" Guess it will be a new or a gently used camper for us in the future!

TK
My husband felt the same way about some of the Vintage trailers we saw and then we saw the article in Airstream Life about architect Barbara Brown's trailer Barbara Brown Architect click on portfolio then on Airsteam......and that article took us down a path where we will have a totally new trailer on the inside but in a shell of a Vintage unit.....there will be no other Airstream like ours when we are done......the inside has been gutted, new floor, new axles with disc brakes just for starters. We feel very fortunate to be able to have our trailer designed to fit our needs. And we can choose eco friendly materials to boot....Also, the vintage trailers are lighter and narrower than the new ones for the same length unit which was important to us...

As for size, we felt we needed at least 24 or 25' inside (+3 for the tongue). We felt comfortable in the 27/28' units.......for the two of us. Have fun on your search. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 05-18-2008, 03:43 AM   #39
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Talking wow! thanks Paula

Quote:
My husband felt the same way about some of the Vintage trailers we saw and then we saw the article in Airstream Life about architect Barbara Brown's trailer Barbara Brown Architect click on portfolio then on Airsteam......and that article took us down a path where we will have a totally new trailer on the inside but in a shell of a Vintage unit.....there will be no other Airstream like ours when we are done......the inside has been gutted, new floor, new axles with disc brakes just for starters. We feel very fortunate to be able to have our trailer designed to fit our needs. And we can choose eco friendly materials to boot....Also, the vintage trailers are lighter and narrower than the new ones for the same length unit which was important to us...

As for size, we felt we needed at least 24 or 25' inside (+3 for the tongue). We felt comfortable in the 27/28' units.......for the two of us. Have fun on your search. paula
Thanks Paula! This is the kind of Airstream I dream of! Vintage exterior, totally new interior, warm but modern and "green", designed just for us and how we live

Thank you for the link and the encouragement!
Lynda

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Linda,,,, yes,,, half the fun of streaming is finding your perfect trailer,,, look long and hard,, you will know it when you see it,,,, i found a ninty seven Safari,, 25,,, that needed cosmetic work on the interior,,, but that was fine with me,,, love the open front living area,, is spacious,,, rear bedroom, side bath with a sliding door,,,, not perfect,, but is ok and am still in love with it,,,make your trailer your own special nest,,, lots of fun,,, Happy Trails,, donna
Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat
Thanks Paula! This is the kind of Airstream I dream of! Vintage exterior, totally new interior, warm but modern and "green", designed just for us and how we live

Thank you for the link and the encouragement!
Lynda
Hi Lynda, here is the link to our renovation: www.area3productions.com and go to blog......our trailer is the 68 Ambassador 28'. The 63 belongs to Uwe who is doing our trailer .....he posts the progress that he is making on the Airstream and his attention to detail is is impeccable.

Keep us posted on your adventure....it is always fun to follow the paths of others--as there are many paths from which to choose--although I have to tell you I had to drag my DH away from the new ones at the Airstream dealership on more than one occasion. He finally told me to stop taking him there. But I wanted to see all of the models and be sure that renovating a Vintage AS was the right path for us. The new ones are very nice as well. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #42
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Quote:
Hi Lynda, here is the link to our renovation: www.area3productions.com and go to blog......our trailer is the 68 Ambassador 28'. The 63 belongs to Uwe who is doing our trailer .....he posts the progress that he is making on the Airstream and his attention to detail is is impeccable. paula
Hi Paula, I could not get the link to work - is it correct or is it just me?
Looking forward to checking our your renovation
thanks!
Lynda

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote