Old 11-24-2003, 11:16 PM   #15
qqq
4 Rivet Member

And we are still unsure about who ordered it...

Hart

Old 11-24-2003, 11:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
11-22-1963

I was age 7, home from school with the mumps and running a temp. My Grandmother, dad's side, was tending to me that day because I was home from school sick. Mom was at work at the office.
We had just finished lunch, and it was 12:30 and time for Grannie's soap, "As the World Turns", when they broke in with Walter Cronkite, and the news bulletin about the President's Motorcade being shot at in Dallas. They never did get back to the soap opera as sketchy details began to straggle in bit by bit.
I watched it all live as it came over the tube for the next 3-4 days because it was on 24/7. Everyone slept only in little naps.
My dad, a criminal attorney, had been headed off on a deer hunting trip from Lubbock to between Dallas and Abilene with a couple of other men and a car full of rifles and ammunition. They got the news on radio and came back home.
I saw Oswald shot live on TV 24 hours later.
I remember it all like it was yesterday...not 40 years ago.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:31 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
, Mississippi
I was in the 8th grade, in the school library reading a book on Charles Linberg for a report when the broadcast came over the
P. A. system. Don't remember much before or after that day.

If you can't change your mind;
How do you know you have one?
ARGONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:43 AM   #18
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I was in third grade. It was my parent's 10th wedding anniversary. They just celebrated their 50th this week. They were having friends over that evening. I remember that the anniversary celebration was pretty somber that night.

In retrospect, it was the the end of Camelot. It was a defining moment in history, not just of U.S. history, but the history of humanity... it heralded the arrival in earnest of the Civil Rights movement and all the social and political upheaval and unrest to follow. It was not only the assasination of a President, it was the event that for better or worse, marked the death of innocence in the U.S.

Roger
Old 12-05-2003, 02:03 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
8th grade math class........

My father had an electrical contract on Lower Monumental Dam, one of the big hydro-electric projects along the Snake River that were built in the 50's and 60's. We lived in the little village of Kahlotus, Washington, for a couple of years. 12 grades under one school roof; located in a quaint God-fearing community. It felt like the end of the world on that particular day.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:34 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I suppose I could start to imagine what it must have been like being old enough to know the weirdness when Reagan was shot. He was a very popular leader, perhaps not like JFK, but I do recall an uneasy feeling as a 14 year old the day Reagan was shot.

I can't even believe they are considering letting Hickley out for unsupervised visits anywhere...

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:50 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Silvertwinkie........the Reagan shooting...

March 30, 1981. Another day etched in my memory. I was a young Army Warrant Officer, just back from the Middle East. It was day one of a new assignment in the Defense Intelligence Agency's counter-terrorism unit, located in the bowels of the Pentagon - the wrong place to be on that particular day, as the entire community wrestled over the assassination attempt. No one knew if it was conspiracy, a terorist attack or, as it was quicky determined, just another fruit loop wanting to impress Jodie Foster. Regardless, I was only in the way at that point. If it comes to vote, mine is for keeping that loonie on ice for a few more years.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm with you on that one....he needs to stay in his rubber room a bit more!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote