Old 01-22-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
where to stay in Sarasota, FL

Hi,

It won't be long before I will want to head to Sarasota Florida and I am in a quandry over which park to choose. Has anyone any recommendations or feedback on the subject? I have looked online and in the Trailer Life and Woodalls but I don't like to put a lot of stock in the listings and advertisements, (have had some "surprises" not necessarily of the good kind, that way )

Thanks.

Also, any ideas of must see, must do, on the area?

signed,

totally clueless in the North. Sun, what's that? BTW big snowstorm today.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Don't know much about the Sarasota area, but on your way down I75, there are nice campgrounds at Exits 404, (High Springs Campground) and Exit 399 in Alachua. South of Gainesville and North of Ocala there is an Encore Park, close to the freeway. Down towards Ocala there is a KOA close to I75. North of Tampa, there is Travelers Rest at Dade City.

I know this does not answer your question directly, but gives you a few places to stop on the way down, if you are so inclined.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
thanks Pick

I like your "weather station!" I will try to work one or some of those stops into my itinerary. I went to Ft Lauderdale last year then across to the gulf side and onto Panama City. I sure did enjoy the weather. I am sooo ready too. I stayed at Emerald Coast RV Resort and can recommend that very highly. Other than that I don't know very much of the areas so it's homework time for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Don't know much about the Sarasota area, but on your way down I75, there are nice campgrounds at Exits 404, (High Springs Campground) and Exit 399 in Alachua. South of Gainesville and North of Ocala there is an Encore Park, close to the freeway. Down towards Ocala there is a KOA close to I75. North of Tampa, there is Travelers Rest at Dade City.

I know this does not answer your question directly, but gives you a few places to stop on the way down, if you are so inclined.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you wanted to go a little further south to Fort Myers area, there are 2 army corps of engineer parks. One at Franklin Locks, and one a little further east of LaBelle, 8 miles east of it, there is Ortona.
I think it's 16 dollars a night. We use both parks, and have had no problems. Full electric and water hookups, and dump stations at the entrance. Reserve spaces on line at reserves usa.com
The parks are kept clean, and they have grills, fire pits and pic nic tables at each site. Concrete pads, and some pull through sites
Marie
Old 01-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
On the way down the coast if you have the time, try Manatee Springs State Park. We stayed there last year in April, and it was a beautiful place to visit. The facilties were o, although the bathrooms were getting a much needed update.
I then took US 19/41 down the coast to Tampa, where we stayed with relatives.
In Ft Myers the Ft Myers Beach RV campground was a samller, but very friendly and well equipped spot, walking distance to the beaches and across the street from a fresh fish place. Also shuttles stop outside the park that will take you to various shopping areas.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote