Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Where to put Spare tire on 1964 ambassador

I'd like to carry our spare tire on the airstream instead of in our truck. Anyone have an ingenious place to store one? While I'm asking... I'd like to find a spot for a 25 gallon blue boy tank too. I don't think there's a real solution for this but you never know! Wondering what folks that don't have a pick up truck are doing with huge items like this.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Where to put Spare tire on 1964 ambassador

The owners manual for our 75 Overlander says something about because of the dual axles the flat can be removed and drive slowly to have it repaired or replaced.
A spare was an option in 75 and it was mounted under the trailer just behind the tanks.
If I get around to it, the gas tanks will get moved slightly forward to make room for the spare on the tongue.
Blue boy ... listening in for suggestions. Ours came with one, but not sure we'll keep it.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
This spare tire carrier mounts under the front frame and has been used by AS for a long time, but I am not sure if it would fit a '64. Call out of doors mart to check with them.

A-Frame Tire Carrier,Black 450414 [450414] - $159.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

The other location, mentioned above, would be behind the gas tanks. That is where I put mine on my '74 Argosy. Slides in great and I use nothing at all to keep it in place. I have used it that way for years.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Our 63 Overlander has spare mounted vertically behind the propane tanks, between the A frame. Two small flats are welded to the A frame. I have seen some that have a vertical steel support to keep them in place, but mine has a strap and a tire cover.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
I just finished reading Tim Shephard's book "Restoring a Dream" where he tells the story of restoring a 1960 AS Ambassador(and others). A picture on pg. 83 shows the rear section of Tim's AS with a spare tire "basket" assembly attached to the bumper. I have also seen a 2" receiver like assembly put through the bumper of an 80's vintage AS and with that type of system you could carry bikes, a blue-boy or a spare depending on what type of carrier you put into the receiver. However, there is the weight balance issue to examine and many folks say to NEVER install anything on or behind the rear bumper because it takes weight off of the tongue leading to towing instability. I contend that it is doable if you keep the weight added to the rear the same as what is added to the front, which in your case could be the blue-boy or extra batteries. In Mr. Shepard's AS, it is a dual axle and 28' long, so if OE, AS did the same thing at some point. Hope this helps...
Safe Travels!
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
After thinking about it, I wanted to follow up on my post in order to help you with your spare/blue-boy storage issue. Everyone will have an opinion on any question you pose (here's mine) on trailer/TV set-up, towing, tires, etc. I'm a 100% disabled vet and have had to do things that help me enjoy RV'ing and maybe not to the "standard". Before my AS purchase, I used a slide-on camper with a F-250 P/U and I put a front receiver on so I could carry my spare where I could get to it. On Ford's at least, the spare is on a cable suspension system that you have to crank down with the crank access through the rear bumper. That can be an issue with a slide-on that covers the rear bumper when mounted, thus needing to then remove it to get to the spare if you have a flat. The same with my AS, it is a project to get the spare out, sometimes needing to disconnect/jack-up the front of the trailer to get to the spare, then muscle it out, which depending on the day, I may not be able to do. Usually this kind of thing will happen on a busy freeway or on a cold, dark and rainy night. My point is that you have to do what works for you while keeping safety in mind, I plan to mount my spare with a receiver type set-up at the rear of my trailer. In my case, I will try to balance the trailer load but I also have a TV that is within 100lbs of my AS's weight with a tire mounted to the front so understeer shouldn't be an issue. You will see folks towing with a vehicle that is rated to tow the weight of the trailer but is 1/2 the weight of the TT itself. There were AS advertisements in the 1960s showing an AS towed by a bicycle, can be done I'm sure, but would you want to? Once you start down the hill the bigger object is really in charge, plus you can have all the right tow systems, weight distribution, etc. and still have problems or not and never have a problem. Sorry I'm so long winded but there are so many variables and that you just need to take in what folks say and do what works for you.
Again, Safe Travels!
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
airstream spare tire carrier pics - Bing

Check out these pics. I'd love to have a spun steel, chrome as in pic on rear. also behind tanks on the tounge is pretty out of the way.
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
airstream spare tire carrier pics - Bing

some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	199673.jpg
Views:	328