Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Where oh Where have the Airstreams All Gone?

Hi Everyone. The more I read the more confused I become.
Airstream is a good, reputable travel trailer...correct? Then why oh why don't more dealers carry them? We live in Massachusetts and the closest "dealer" we could find listed is in New Jersey. Looking at the website they have two used motorhomes for sale.
I just don't get it? If Airstream is popular where are they?
We have a 1979 19 ft Argosy Minuet. We would love to get something a bit bigger and do some cross country traveling. Any suggestions as to where to look?
We truly love our "little" trailer, the durability and towing ease....so we thought a 22 or 24 ft would give us a bit more room for a longer trip.
Are they out there?

With thanks and respect
Amy
Old 08-01-2003, 02:03 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The rub is ...

Airstream will not have a dealer that doesn't have the facility and expertise to repair these aluminum babies. That dramatically cuts down on the pool of prospective dealers.

I would rather have a few good dealers than a large number who don't know the product. Fortunately, I'm only 18 miles from a dealer with a great tech.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

There is also the problem of unit sales. There just are not all that many Airstreams sold. Or, looked at from the other perspective, not that many buyers. These things are expensive, after all. Did I hear that Airstream had raised their production to 20 per week? Something like that anyway.

Some of the larger RV dealers need to move that many units every week just to keep their doors open.

It is no different in the car business. Ford dealers are everywhere. Mercedes dealers are a little harder to find.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Dealer prereqs???

John,
I am not so sure about the criteria A/S uses in dealer selection. Without getting into names, I know of at least one dealer that has NO certified techs and after 3 years as an A/S dealer,have sent NO one to A/S training and A/S has done nothing to correct this situation (the training/certification is free and A/S helps cover the travel expenses according to my contacts within A/S.

A/S at one time did require all A/S dealers to have A/S trained and certified techs on staff but that was back in the heydays of the RV industry. I could really get on my soapbox on this subject, but enough said....
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:

I have one of them in my yard!

Its 20 years old and I believe it has many more years of service left.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:18 PM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Amy, where in MA are you? and what "list" are you looking at? there's an A/S dealer here in Berkley, MA.

http://www.martysusrv.com

I've only visited them once, dealing with parts, and they were very nice. I asked a couple of old timer wally club members about them, and they spoke highly of their service. I don't get down that way very often, as I'm up on the North Shore.

don't know if you're interested in the wally club or not, but there is a big rally on the Cape next weekend. Full hookups, too. I'll be there...it'll be my first rally. should be interesting.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 06:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Smile

Thank you everyone for your responses! I understand more now about the requirements of dealers, etc. Appropriately educated techs...that thought didn't occur to me.
Chuck, we are located in Central Massachusetts. I did come across Marty's site but thought they only had motorhomes. When we checked there were only two airstream motorhomes available. Thank you for the suggestion.
Although my husband has some some touch up work on the Argosy ( as something breaks ) we are relatively new at becoming devoted, "keep her rolling" owners.
Whats the SIZE debate? I feel the set up of the 19 footer is tight for a comfortable long distance trip, yet love the way she can can snuggle into almost any spot...and admittedly..I just think she's CUTE! Hubby thinks a 24 ft would be ideal, but only after he gets his new diesel something or other........
any thoughts?

I greatly appreciate the respectful responses. We are naive. Thank you for helping us learn.

Amy
Old 08-02-2003, 06:34 AM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Amy, when I visited Marty's last summer, they had at least a half-dozen used trailers, and quite a few new one's on the lot, as well. (a lot of new motor homes, too) I just don't think they update their website very often.

"size" is a subjective things. the right size is the one YOU like the best. I tend to agree w/ your DH, though....24-ish seems like a good size, to me. not too big/not too small. but I also have to consider what I have for a tow vehicle, and how much room I have to store the thing.
You can handle a 24' with just about any typical half-ton pickup with a decent tow rating. no need for a super-duper-deisel for something this size.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:46 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Hi Chuck!
Sounds as if a trip to Martys in person is the thing to do. You're right about the website, it is probably limited in what they present and in a less than timely manner.

Currently our trailer is in a seasonal site at a small campground in CT. Its a "run away from home" place for me. I have made it..as my husband says "All girly". A new shower curtain, a futon mattress to replace the very flat foam old mattress, new curtains on order.......its really comfy. I am learning tricks with storage as well (hanging shoe pockets for gear, car back seat organizer for misc tools and such). Am debating pulling up the old shag carpet and putting in some pergo flooring (any thoughts?)

Thanks for your input
Happy Trails!

Amy
Old 08-02-2003, 06:55 AM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The flooring may present a problem.

The minuets sometimes had a composite Aluminum floor that had a fair amount of "give" to them. This give precludes pergo or vinyl as a flooring. To check on what you have under the carpet I would pull up a corner. If it is plywood, go nuts. If it is Aluminum you are going ot have to re-carpet.

The aluminum floor was done as a weight saver and is unique to the minuet.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 07:00 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Ohhhhhh.........I do know it is wood in the aft closest. Guess I'll try pulling up some carpet under the lounge/couch/bed/whatever I am supposed to call it.......Thanks for the Heads Up.......or in this case....heads under!

Smiles, Amy
Old 08-02-2003, 08:02 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Where oh Where have the Airstreams All Gone?

Greetings Amy!

I don't know whether your '79 Minuet will be similar to my '78 Minuet, but the '78 has an aluminum composite floor that poses unique difficulties when replacing the floor covering with something other than carpeting. What you are finding in your closets may also be a "false" floor - - in the case of my '78 there are "false" wood (actually aluminum covered with wood-grained vinyl) floors or shelves in each closet - - one hides the water heater enclosure and the other hides the gray water tank and related plumbing. The aluminum composite flooring may be unique to the 6.0 Metre Minuets as I haven't heard of it being used in either the 22' or 24' Minuets.

If your coach does have the aluminum composite floors, it is possible to put a laminate floor in; but at least accoding to the vendor doing my install it just isn't practical to utilize the sheet vinyl that I had wanted in my coach. The final selection for my coach was Armstrong laminate with integral backer layer as well as an additional layer of the Armstrong quiet step backer as well to help insulate and cushion the rivet heads. The floor has a bit more "spring" than might be ideal but has been in for this entire season and is working out quite well thus far.

Good luck with your Minuet!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 10:10 AM   #13
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
I have made it..as my husband says "All girly".
That's what you're supposed to do. I'm fond of saying that the purpose of these trailers (of any make) is so that I can pretend like I'm camping...and the wife can pretend like she's NOT.

anyway...I did the pergo thing...came out good. There are pics on my photopage, but unfortunately, the site is still down. I can't seem to locate any of them here at home (must be on my work computer) to post right here in the thread, so you'll have to just take my word for it

Don't know why an aluminum floor would matter with pergo...its a "floating" floor, so its not affixed to the subfloor in any way. that way, the subfloor and finish floor can continue to move independently of one another.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:00 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Re: Where oh Where have the Airstreams All Gone?

Quote:
Originally posted by Amy in an Argosy

Hi Everyone. The more I read the more confused I become.
Airstream is a good, reputable travel trailer...correct? Then why oh why don't more dealers carry them? We live in Massachusetts and the closest "dealer" we could find listed is in New Jersey. Looking at the website they have two used motorhomes for sale.
We have a 1979 19 ft Argosy Minuet. We would love to get something a bit bigger and do some cross country traveling. Any suggestions as to where to look?
We truly love our "little" trailer, the durability and towing ease....so we thought a 22 or 24 ft would give us a bit more room for a longer trip.
Are they out there?

With thanks and respect
Amy
desertone61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:14 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

I definitely agree with you on where or where are the dealers. I have contacted A/S asking for dealers in Texas and having a great deal of trouble in obtaining information from any of them. I even drove to Valley View for look at models on hand, asking for further information, 2004 models info etc and even after several emails to this dealer have as yet gotten response. I have emailed A/S regarding updated info on 2004 and cant even get a reply from them. It does appear to me even though they have a #1 travel trailer in the market, they surely do need some P/R work in order to sell more as their sales/dealers around here stink!! Kinda gives a bad taste in ones mouth and also makes a person go elsewhere to purchase another brand. Sorry for the remarks about A/S but these are the facts on the table from where I am located.
desertone61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

~~~~I have emailed A/S regarding updated info on 2004 and cant even get a reply from them. ~~~

Ahhh Desert, I did not even mention this one. But I have also tried to get brochures, info, etc with no response. I guess we have to go on our own, with the help of the fabulous information on here.

We're going to try a few days in Maine in our little cute trailer...see if the three of us will fit okay (Hubby, dog and me!) and if it works out, I'm going to try to find some ways to get more room inside (can't take out the front couch/bed cause the water tank is under that..the side couch/bed had storage under it) and maybe someway to have the exterior painted and spruced up. All the window plastic/strips are dry and cracking off...some of the foam rubber is limp, and the fuzzies on the front window handles are no longer fuzzy. (not even mentioning the deceased heater or inoperable oven)

I think one of the important things about the Airstreams are, besides the contruction, is the fact that I feel SAFE when I'm in it.
Thanks for your comments
Old 08-02-2003, 01:08 PM   #17
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by desertone61
I definitely agree with you on where or where are the dealers. I have contacted A/S asking for dealers in Texas and having a great deal of trouble in obtaining information from any of them.
It is a ways from you, but I bought from the dealer in Buda (just south of Austin) and I have been quite satisfied with their attitude and service. They have a really good tech. I was there a couple of weeks ago and they had a very good assortment of new Airstreams on the lot.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote