Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Where is YOUR AS right now?

Hello all -

We are contemplating a possible move from the current location in the next 18 months or so.... SilverToy is currently in the driveway ( ample space) and cannot imagine her anywhere but within easy reach, ie sideyard or driveway. PLUS it's free!

Since America is so diverse, where is YOUR AirStream right this minute???

Is it/she/he within 1 minute?
Within 5 minutes?
Within 10 minutes?
Half an hour drive?
What are your storage conditions and limitations? HomeOwner assoc, crappy neighbors, local ordinances, etc.....

Please be concrete about your storage conditon/limitation and why this is good/ bad...

I am looking to frame any future move to include this variable and am interested in why things work/ or don't, for you and your AS. Costs involved, etc...

Peace!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
in the back yard

She is snugly parked in our back yard, and after 2 years in a storage facility it is quite comforting.
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:04 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ours is in a storage facility, for $41/month for a 30x11 storage space. City code prevents us from parking it at the house, although I have found (inadvertantly) that as long as it remains hooked to the tow vehicle, it can stay in the driveway for a day or two without a 72 hour permit. RV storage facilities are not allowed in our city either, so it has to be out of the city limits.
We are considering moving to an unincorporated part of the county, where we can keep the trailer at home.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Mine is about 12' off my front porch at the moment...it was 8' off the back porch but I had to move it because we are putting in a carport. I live on 40 acres so I can park it anywhere I want The medium range goal is to have a shed to park it under in the next year or two, with a long range goal of a 40x60 barn to store it in. That is probably at least 5 years away.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Ditto!

Florida has some very strange codiciles when you live in an incorporated private community....too many rules! My toaster is at a friend's open field with 110VAC and water too. $50 a month (which is a steal around here) and only 5 minutes away. When I moved in to this 'community', they even gave me a load of grief about parking my van in my own driveway........such is Florida (the price you pay for paridise )
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
My Argosy is sitting right beside the house in sight of old Route 66. Very appropriate for this American classic, and very comforting for his owners.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I live on 40 acres so I can park it anywhere I want Aaron
You could go on a camping trip and never leave your own property.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile In the yard

We're lucky that our small subdivision doesn't have restrictions so the trailer is in the yard right next to our home!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Tucked in beside the carport. Sad that I can't see it from my computer window...Maybe I'll move it...

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Safe by our house

Peppy is parked beside the house. We have searched for storage inside since last Nov. no luck for a 31ft. The guy next door I don't think is to happy he keeps telling me he keeps his pontoon boat at rv storage and I went and checked it out $100.00 a month outside on a gravel road No Thanks My Peppy is on grass and safe.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There are village ordinances prohibiting parking it in our drive, but we've got great neighbors. We parked our RVs in our drive for 2 years. These past 2 years, my brother opened a business that has 2 large attached garages. So they (Safari and boat) sit inside about 5-10 minutes away.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
...Is it/she/he within 1 minute?...What are your storage conditions and limitations? HomeOwner assoc, crappy neighbors, local ordinances, etc.....Please be concrete about your storage conditon/limitation and why this is good/ bad...
Always, always, stay away from the irritations you listed above - life is too short to expose yourself to unwarranted aggravation.

Below is the solution I came up with for my Houston residence… 2 thousand for material and 1 thousand for construction…but before I purchased the house I made sure I WAS able to do that sort of thing. Right now I have the Sovereign under the carport at the house and the 345 at a shed storage about a mile from the house – even though 15 amp 110 is available at the storage shed it is still a pain in the butt to do any sort of fixing or cleanup on it while it is not “at home”.

Since I am approaching semi-retirement I no longer lust for a “acreage in the country” any more – even got rid of a small spread in the Arkansas mountains – takes too much time to keep a place up. I have found alternative ways to enjoy the “open countryside” (involving the Airstreams, of course) without the huge maintenance outlay normally associated with 100% ownership.
Attached Images

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:04 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
In our driveway (shhh, don't tell on us); I haven't read the city code with a real legal eagle eye, but my first cursory glance didn't fill me with optimism.

On the plus side, our neighbors routinely park all over their yards, thus rendering Toasty one of the best-looking eyesores on our street, so what are they gonna say ???

My REAL fear is this midwestern city is HAIL. Next year, we've got to
1) Come up with an effective cover for storm conditions OR
2) Locate covered storage somehwere OR
3) Build a new garage

Our last car had numerous small dimples from a hailstorm that attacked in Toasty's very own present parking space. We didn't really care 'cause it was just a car, after all. Toasty is an infinitely more precious beast.

jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:08 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
In my driveway while I fix it up. Don't know how much longer I have until I start getting notices from the subdivision association and the city.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:10 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Ours is in our driveway and has been since we returned on Sunday-much to the dismay of my neighbors, I'm sure! But we are heading out again tomorrow, so why take her to storage for a few days!?! Our HOA says rv's, boats, trailers, etc. cannot be "permanently" parked...hey, five days isn't permanent- ! And instead of being unable to beat them, I decided to join them (HOA) and am the treasurer- ! They all know I have storage-$25 a month, which is wonderful! No hook ups, but you can't have it all! I just hook her up when we bring her home!

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
We have 10 acres and keep it parked in the backyard between the garage and the pool. We have it hooked up to our septic system, water and electric. The Safari serves as our pool changing room & bathroom for our visitors in the summer when we aren't on the road.
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
On our 3 1/2 acres, Gypsy is parked overlooking the pond. OUR goal for her is to add a small addition on the back of our 30X40 storage barn in order to move her inside. We need to bump out a section and add a tall door to get this done. Maybe this summer. Like others in the midwest, we cringe at a forecast of hail. She is maybe a 2 minute stroll from the back porchOur area allows no goats or chickens(!) but I think we could have a trailer park in the back yard. The Airstream has 30 amp electricity and water; she is close to our septic clean out so we think we can dump easily also. We like having her so close.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:30 AM   #18
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Yesterday: Jackson Center, OH
Today: Iowa City, IA.
Tomorrow: Rapid City, SD
Day after: Wherever I get tired.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:31 AM   #19
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
Twinkie II has his own shelter on our 9 acres approximately 30 feet from our house. Annual Spring storms with hail prompted us to build the shelter three weeks ago. When we come home occasionally we didn't want to worry about hail damage. It also keeps the sun off. We will put a gravel or concrete floor in the next time we are home for a week or two. Total cost to this point is $1,700 + sweat.

In January we left Twinkie II in storage at an RV Resort in San Marcos, Texas and when we returned two weeks later we found a 20" deep scrape on the front streetside. The owner refused to turn it in to his insurance or take any responisbility for the damage. Pretty sorry on his part since we were paying him for the storage. We had a sign made that we post near the damage everywhere we stay stating the name of the RV resort and the details. I sure don't want anyone who sees it to think I damaged it. After this incident we do not leave the AS anywhere in storage. If we have to make a trip home, it goes with us. A lesson learned the hard way.
Attached Images

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #20
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Where, you say???

Annie is parked beside my house and acts as a block between my neighbors and I. Don't get me wrong, I have great neighbors! It just seemed strange to be able to see their house out my den window for a month while Annie's rear end sag was being fixed at another location!

Annie also is a spare room and was even used last night!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote