Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Where is YOUR AS right now?

Hello all -

We are contemplating a possible move from the current location in the next 18 months or so.... SilverToy is currently in the driveway ( ample space) and cannot imagine her anywhere but within easy reach, ie sideyard or driveway. PLUS it's free!

Since America is so diverse, where is YOUR AirStream right this minute???

Is it/she/he within 1 minute?
Within 5 minutes?
Within 10 minutes?
Half an hour drive?
What are your storage conditions and limitations? HomeOwner assoc, crappy neighbors, local ordinances, etc.....

Please be concrete about your storage conditon/limitation and why this is good/ bad...

I am looking to frame any future move to include this variable and am interested in why things work/ or don't, for you and your AS. Costs involved, etc...

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
spring , Texas
in the back yard

She is snugly parked in our back yard, and after 2 years in a storage facility it is quite comforting.

72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:04 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Ours is in a storage facility, for $41/month for a 30x11 storage space. City code prevents us from parking it at the house, although I have found (inadvertantly) that as long as it remains hooked to the tow vehicle, it can stay in the driveway for a day or two without a 72 hour permit. RV storage facilities are not allowed in our city either, so it has to be out of the city limits.
We are considering moving to an unincorporated part of the county, where we can keep the trailer at home.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Mine is about 12' off my front porch at the was 8' off the back porch but I had to move it because we are putting in a carport. I live on 40 acres so I can park it anywhere I want The medium range goal is to have a shed to park it under in the next year or two, with a long range goal of a 40x60 barn to store it in. That is probably at least 5 years away.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR

Florida has some very strange codiciles when you live in an incorporated private community....too many rules! My toaster is at a friend's open field with 110VAC and water too. $50 a month (which is a steal around here) and only 5 minutes away. When I moved in to this 'community', they even gave me a load of grief about parking my van in my own driveway........such is Florida (the price you pay for paridise )
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
My Argosy is sitting right beside the house in sight of old Route 66. Very appropriate for this American classic, and very comforting for his owners.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
Site Team
, Minnesota
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I live on 40 acres so I can park it anywhere I want Aaron
You could go on a camping trip and never leave your own property.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile In the yard

We're lucky that our small subdivision doesn't have restrictions so the trailer is in the yard right next to our home!
Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Tucked in beside the carport. Sad that I can't see it from my computer window...Maybe I'll move it...
Not knowing enough to be afraid... (I know more than I did, but I did it anyway!)

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Safe by our house

Peppy is parked beside the house. We have searched for storage inside since last Nov. no luck for a 31ft. The guy next door I don't think is to happy he keeps telling me he keeps his pontoon boat at rv storage and I went and checked it out $100.00 a month outside on a gravel road No Thanks My Peppy is on grass and safe.

rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 AM   #11
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There are village ordinances prohibiting parking it in our drive, but we've got great neighbors. We parked our RVs in our drive for 2 years. These past 2 years, my brother opened a business that has 2 large attached garages. So they (Safari and boat) sit inside about 5-10 minutes away.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Originally Posted by SilverToy
...Is it/she/he within 1 minute?...What are your storage conditions and limitations? HomeOwner assoc, crappy neighbors, local ordinances, etc.....Please be concrete about your storage conditon/limitation and why this is good/ bad...
Always, always, stay away from the irritations you listed above - life is too short to expose yourself to unwarranted aggravation.

Below is the solution I came up with for my Houston residence… 2 thousand for material and 1 thousand for construction…but before I purchased the house I made sure I WAS able to do that sort of thing. Right now I have the Sovereign under the carport at the house and the 345 at a shed storage about a mile from the house – even though 15 amp 110 is available at the storage shed it is still a pain in the butt to do any sort of fixing or cleanup on it while it is not “at home”.

Since I am approaching semi-retirement I no longer lust for a “acreage in the country” any more – even got rid of a small spread in the Arkansas mountains – takes too much time to keep a place up. I have found alternative ways to enjoy the “open countryside” (involving the Airstreams, of course) without the huge maintenance outlay normally associated with 100% ownership.
Attached Images

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:04 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
In our driveway (shhh, don't tell on us); I haven't read the city code with a real legal eagle eye, but my first cursory glance didn't fill me with optimism.

On the plus side, our neighbors routinely park all over their yards, thus rendering Toasty one of the best-looking eyesores on our street, so what are they gonna say ???

My REAL fear is this midwestern city is HAIL. Next year, we've got to
1) Come up with an effective cover for storm conditions OR
2) Locate covered storage somehwere OR
3) Build a new garage

Our last car had numerous small dimples from a hailstorm that attacked in Toasty's very own present parking space. We didn't really care 'cause it was just a car, after all. Toasty is an infinitely more precious beast.

Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master
1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
In my driveway while I fix it up. Don't know how much longer I have until I start getting notices from the subdivision association and the city.

wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote