Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Mine's parked 10 feet from the house, plugged in and warm, waiting for last of the ice/snow under the wheels to thaw.

Spring is starting to come to Alaska, 35F and light until 10:15PM.
Safari64
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #42
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
In a bit of danger

my trailer is under roof about 10 miles from the house. A storm cell with a tornado and big hail just passed just north of it and another storm is passing south of it and us. Not nice at all!

My truck is stored outside; night before last, I drove to the storage yard and pulled the truck into an empty space. Rain on the 1/2 acre tin roof was so deafening I could not hear the TV and there was 3/4" hail hitting all around, but that one missed us to the north. Round Rock, north of us had baseball-size hail from that storm and is getting a similar hail storm as I write this.

I'm watching the radar on TV and I'm ready to jump in the truck to get it under cover again if needed. The weatherman on TV is just now showing a 2 1/2" stone that fell in their parking lot.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We keep ours at home on a gravel extension of the drive just beyond the garage and facing the yard.

When we found the house the realtor was told we did not want to live anywhere with an association because of our trailer. After purchasing our home and 5 acres we found out there was indeed an association and were told that we needed to sign the association papers or move. I said the builder and realtor said there was no association here and they told us we had a case against the realtor and builder and to get ourselves a lawyer. I told them perhaps they needed to get a lawyer instead and we have not signed, that being 4 years ago.

We pay our share yearly for road maintainence of our private road but I don't want to sign any papers to further help them out in the event they start getting "fussy" in the future about restrictions after all the houses here are built. No one has since given us any static but neither have we been included in the get togethers.

So the Classic is sitting here and the new Safari should be driven from Jackson Center to Grand Rapids today. But the dealer can't prep it out until Monday so it looks like Tuesday, noon. I'll be trading in the Classic and picking up the 25' Safari FB SE and checking the systems over a two night stay locally at a luxury RV park compliments of the dealer. Will it ever be Tuesday?!!!!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
my as is 750mi. away and i've only scene it once! storage is a big deal. iwill park it in my yard in the warm weather and in a pole building me and a friend of mine share. it sounds like the consensus is "my back yard" rather than costly storage elsewhere.
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #45
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Carol,

Did you have a lawyer or realtor in the transaction?

Even if you don't want to join the association, I think you could get a potful of money out of the builder for their misrepresentation
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
where is YOUR AirStream right this minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hello all -

where is YOUR AirStream right this minute???

Is it/she/he within 1 minute?
Within 5 minutes?
Within 10 minutes?
Half an hour drive?
What are your storage conditions and limitations? HomeOwner assoc, crappy neighbors, local ordinances, etc.....

Please be concrete about your storage conditon/limitation and why this is good/ bad...
Axel
Hi Axel,
Ours is 1 minute away in our new RV garage.
We used to keep it in the open in our yard like the previous owner had done however, the plastic coat began to blister. I also worried about possible hail damage, mice and wasp nests.
Having the garage is way nicer. If you build it as a two stall, you can park your vehicle in the other stall and still have some room in front of the vehicle for a small workshop.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
thought I'd add a picture

We park ours under a rainbow. It's all we have left since the pot of gold went for the Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	20670  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
An hour away in a pole barn over the winter. The cost was about $300 for the season, but the place is a dump. I hope to retrieve it soon, but I have nowhere to put it. I will store it outdoors at a mini-storage lot until I can find a better solution.

Our homeowners association forbids storage at home. I park it in front of the house for a few days at a time before/after trips.

I really wish there was affordable pole-barn type storage, preferably with multiple doors for easy in/out access. I have searched the Internet thoroughly, but have found nothing around the SW Twin Cities area.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #49

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Mine is sitting in a storage lot about 7 minutes from my house. Homeowners association doesn't allow RV parking in the drives unless its for loading and unloading. I usually bring the trailer home the weekend before a trip and its sits there up to a week after I come back. Only once have I had a trustee knock on the door and my wife informed him that we don't keep the trailer there and that I was working on the trailer and would be bringing it back to storage by the end of the week. My neighbors all have toys, mostly boats or skeedo trailers which are also verboten. They as well as I are all tolerant of our toys and no one has objected to them being in the drive for a week or so.

The storage facility has two sections, the keycode entry gate that gets you into the general facility and allows access to storage lockers. A second area within the main section with a combination lock gate gets you into the RV and Boat storage facility. Open air, chat base, all vehicles have a specific parking spot. Some are pull through others are back in. I have a back in spot in the center of the facillity.

Facility has lights and cameras recording what's going on. Main gate hours are limited so there is no 24 hour access. Access hours are longer in the summer.

The bad side its open air. No place to get under cover. Lot is not totally level so I have to block the wheels to get the trailer level from side to side. This is important to me in the winter since I don't want water collecting on the high side of a skylight or other roof penetration. I'm afraid the freeze thaw cycle might cause leaks. So the level stance allows water to flow away on all sides.

Parking is tight and some folks cover their boats and motorhomes in the winter. Problem is when these covers break loose, and many do, the ends with the grommets can beat against the side of your trailer when the wind blows. So far I've not had a problem although I have reattached the covers of my neighbor behind and to the side of me to keep things from hitting.

My cost is $40 monthly which is very low based on the location of this facility.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I'm watching the radar on TV and I'm ready to jump in the truck to get it under cover again if needed. The weatherman on TV is just now showing a 2 1/2" stone that fell in their parking lot.

I hope you made it through OK. It hailed here last week, about the size of grapes and the wind was bowing so hard it was coming at us nearly horizontally.
No damage! We live in the woods, so I believe the trees afforded some protection to the AS. My predicament pales by comparison to yours.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hey!!!!

Ours is right here, but it's polished and ready to go. Well it WAS here
.Best,
Attached Images

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #52
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Right now it is in front of my house, loaded up and just waiting for my wife to return from work (1/2 day today). Should be on the road by noon. 3 hours later we will be outside of Williams, AZ for a weekend of flyfishing with friends from my flyfishing club. Brought the trailer home last night from the RV storage yard where for a modist price it rests under covered parking waiting for the next adventure.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

North Dallas RV

Ours is currently at North Dallas RV with a new rock guard on and awaiting the new Zip Dee awning. Also, we are in que for a good polishing!!! I can't wait to get it back and hit the road.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #54
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Well, I have the same answer that I did the last time I saw a question like this. My Airstream is around me. I live in it, and I'm in a pecan grove thirty miles north from the Florida line. It's about 80 outside, and I have ALL the windows open and the A/C on high fan.

With the warmer weather, I'm thinking of getting the heck out of Dodge.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #55
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I'm sitting in a field on a 60 acre ranch in Shelby Texas, with elec. Outside my dirt bike waits.

Last night it rained for the first time in weeks and the air smells like hay. Cows glance up to give me dirty looks.

This morning I had a riding lesion at a Saddle Bred ranch in Winedale.

Nearby, in the barn, I am painting in preparation for an art exhibition in South Lake Texas next weekend.

Life is, well good to say the least.

Michael
Attached Images

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Right outside and getting ready for Disney. I'm home and missed the "It Thursday and I like my AS because..." thread yesterday. Had a list a mile long to get done after getting home from the Persian Gulf. Nothing says USA like an AS in the driveway to welcome you home.......
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Park and Save

The "LANDSHARK" is in front of our two car garage on the apron about 12' from the family room door! Ah!...The Joy of being able to see it resting there just waiting to be fully restored and traveling the roads again.....soon! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:29 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
God Bless our military!

Michael, and all other military, and military families!

God Bless! and glad to have you!!!!!!

YOU, and your military brothers and sisters, MAKE this the proudest nation on the planet!

Back to the regularly scheduled thread....

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
GREAT to have that AS close!

As many others have said....

It is GREAT to have my AS right out front!

Right where I can see it ALL the time and where I can give it that affectionate pat, and murmer sweet....

Whoops? Did I say that out loud!? Tell me I didn't say that out loud..!?

Er, uh. Yeah, whatever.

LOVE MY SILVERTOY!!!!!

Glad to see that affection so widespread. Wonder if other RV's have it this good? Nah.

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

We live in the middle of 60 acres, so like Aaron we can put him anywhere. We got our shed built about two months ago, so now he is behind the shop in his own home. We hope to have the elcetricity run out there shortly. Just have to find the time.
Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote