Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Where do you wash your Airstream?

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out where to wash our new 25FB. I can't get it in our driveway, and the street is quite a ways away (75' of hose at least). In addition to the length, there is no shade, and I don't want to wash it in the Texas sun!

I thought about taking it to car wash bay, but have been told the high-pressure could be rough on the finish, and may force water into the seams.

The RV place near us (in Georgetown, north of Austin) that washes RVs won't wash an Airstream (afraid they'll scratch it).

Any suggestions on where I could wash it myself or of a place in north Austin that will wash it?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Medford , Southern Oregon
My husband and I were chatting with our neighbors yesterday and mentioned we are planning on purchasing a Airstream. Neighbors have owned motorhomes and currently own a large 5th wheel. He mentioned that he takes his truck and 5th wheel to the local truck stop/wash and pays them $XX per foot to wash both the truck and trailer. It sounded VERY affordable so we will look into that as an option.
sakthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
In my front yard. I have flat rate water = no guilt.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I wash it in front of my house. Plan to pull it over when no cars are in the way. I use a ladder and extension handle wash brush hooked to hose. Start on the roof from both sides, then do the sides. If its hot, I'll do it first thing in morning or last thing at twilight. If I'm fast (questionable) I can get it dry before water dries and spots. Anything which does dry and spot I hit with quick detailer. I usually can get it done in a bit over an hour.

I'm wary of commercial washes w/ high pressure or harsh chemicals.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Front of my house

Took it to a car wash and did it there once in the big truck bay. Didnt notice any damage from the high water pressure, but i did get SUPER greasy from the hose (me, not the RV). Be wary - lots of people use that bay to pressure clean an engine, and it seems the grease ends up on the hose.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We take them to the car wash bay - we just don't linger on the seams, the water pressure at ours is not that strong. They also have a 'soft-water additive' & shade so it doesn't spot as much while drying. We never let it drip dry, always wipe it down with a clean synthetic shammy.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Just don't use a fleece mitt. Scratched my brand-new trailer with one of those. The scratches came out with a good Walbernizing, but what a way to begin!

Use micro-fleece in the direction of the grain.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Two Places I Recommend for Washing

Hutto
Exit the 130 Toll for Hwy. 79 and go east about 2 miles to Hutto. Turn right (southbound) onto FM685 and about 1/2 mile down the road (next to Golden Chicken) on your left is a nice carwash with decent size wash bays.

Pflugerville
Exit the 130 Toll at Pecan Street and go west about 2 miles to Pflugerville. Turn right (northbound) onto FM685 and about 1/2 mile up the road (next to the oil change) on your left is a nice carwash with a large wash bay.

Both have very good water pressure but we haven't experienced any problems with it negatively impacting the clear coat. It will however remove your WBCCI #s.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
In front of the house with my power washer and a "mitt-on-a-stick." I have also used the coin wash,
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks to all for the replies! The Airstream sure is beautiful when it is clean, which is not now
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
are you supposed to wash it? please notify my husband!!
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
75' of hose is no big deal. wash in in the evening or early morn. I use one of the wash wands from Walmart for light washes. Envy waterless cleaner does a great job unless it is caked with dirt.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Just be careful if you take to the truck stop, our local one uses a mild acid additive.
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
Yes yes yes you need to wash it at least every other month depending on your storage configuration. I bought a very soft bristle brush on a handle at Walmart. I keep ours under cover but it still gets very dirty just sitting there. This Time of year we go some place every month, so I have got into the habit of washing her before we leave and when we get home. I would stay away from high pressure car wash sprayers for two reasons. The outer skin is very soft, second leak's. Good luck and enjoy!
h70man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
We usually wash our Airstream on our RV lot that we own.

However, if we don't have time and it needs to be washed we go to Blue Beacon Truck Wash Home. This was recommended by Rich Luhr of Airstream Life several years back.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote