Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Sequatchie , Tennessee
Where do I begin?

Ok, This is one of my first post's. My wife and I are starting to look at travel trailers (very used) and I'm wanting to get some opinions about the Airstream/Argossy's in the 25ft range for a family of four? Right now our sons are 5 and 8 years old so we would like something with bunks or at least comfortable sleeping arrangements for all four of us. Is this a pipe dream in the airstreams in this size range? We are of limited means but would like to have an Airstream. We just don't have the capital for a newer one.

Thanks everyone!

Jerem0621
jerem0621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
Bunks are not going to be practical for you, long-term, because in 2-4 short years, both boys will have exceeded the weight capacity of the bunks. If you get a trailer with twin beds and a couch or dinette, they will be sharing the couch or dinette, unless you and your spouse want to do so, allowing them to take the twins.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Sequatchie , Tennessee
Thanks for the welcome! Is there a practical airstream out there for a family of four? Or are airstream kind of categorized the same as most fifth wheel trailers? Very comfortable for two people, geared more towards full timers and couples? Can a family be comfortable for four? If so what models should I be looking at?

Thanks everyone!

Jerem0621
Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
We are four and we camp a 62 overlander. It fits our needs perfect and has the layout Terry described. If I could do over, I probably would have gone for something longer. That is what owning more than one is for
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Vintage Airstreams with OEM bunks are rare. Overlander 63 is right about the weight capacity of bunks that are suspended from the side wall and ceiling. Aistream did make a removable cot type bunk using this design as an option. I have 2 and they are still useable with my 9, 10 and 11 yo grandchildren.

There is no reason a bunk with more capacity cannot be built that would even support an adult. Others have done it. The key will be the support structure. As for me, when my grandkids get too big for the bunks, they get a tent. They enjoy that anyway, except when it is raining, cold, or there are noises. In a pinch sleeping up to 2 on the floor is doable. For some reason though, It usually ends up being me.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Sequatchie , Tennessee
Thanks everyone! I've never actually been in an airstream before so its time to start looking around. I'm not afraid of a restoration/modification to get our needs met.

thanks!

Jerem0621
Old 08-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
jerem',

"Very used" means a lot of work bringing it up to usefulness. Maybe you really mean lightly used, but older. Restoring a vintage model costs a lot, takes a lot of time, and you need to have some skills to do so. Depending on what you want to and can do, you might want something from the 1960's, or the 1990's. Buying a vintage model may not save you any money in the long run. I thought Airstream had posted specs and floorplans going back decades on its website, but I can't find them—maybe someone else knows where they are.

There are only several basic floorplans for a travel trailer—they include either double bed, queen bed or twin beds. There are sometimes a king bed in larger ones. All these beds are smaller than the ones for a house. Then there are the dual use units—dinettes that convert into a bed for one or two, sofas (regular and guacho) that sleep one or two. Some people find some or all of these uncomfortable and make modifications. A question for anyone considering camping with 4 or more is how much space they need before getting in each other's way and comfort requirements. Three of you may be ok with something, but if one isn't, they will never let you forget it. If you've camped successfully with one or two tents, it will feel like luxury in a 25' trailer. If you've never camped, rent an RV and try it out. It probably will be a Class C and not an Airstream, but you'll get an idea what your family wants.

Welcome to the Forum. Kept browsing through the threads and you will learn a lot, and there is a lot to learn. Hopefully, you will find the Airstream for you and your family.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote