Old 05-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #505
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Wow, I go to one little rally, get back, and look at all I've missed. The kid wimped out of showing in court, what a coward. We all know his "max" sentence is sorely inequitable to the deed, but that is justice within the court system. I firmly believe the hand of justice comes from above as well, even though we may not know the outcome. Sounds like the city planners need a bit of a "sentence" for putting the handicapped parking 2 blocks away. How absurd!

I figured out you had a new silver acquisition when talking to Silver Threads at the rally. She said something about you asking her about new curtains, etc., not for an Overlander, think its 31 feet . . . Hmmmm, they DID get a "new" one! Congratulations! I met Art and Carol (wnew1130) at the Pigeon Forge Rally who have fulltimed the last 5 years. They have it made! I thought of the two of you. Yes, everything will work out and you will love your new lifestyle.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #506
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
My Day In Court
By Terry

So, the maximum allowed by law is:
90 day revokation of his driver's license.
$500 fine
120 hours community service, to be served in a trauma ward of the hospital where I was originally taken.
Was it enough? No, but that's the most the judge was allowed to do.
As a former medic, I am less than happy the little *&*% is being allowed into a trauma ward. If I were the judge the little *&C*er would be digging graves by hand for victims of reckless drivers and going to the funerals with a sign around his neck telling the world about his actions.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #507
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
As a former medic, I am less than happy the little *&*% is being allowed into a trauma ward. If I were the judge the little *&C*er would be digging graves by hand for victims of reckless drivers and going to the funerals with a sign around his neck telling the world about his actions.
FWIW, I spoke to one of the people from Lee Memorial, and they do not allow "civilians" in their trauma ward. He may yet wind up digging trenches for victims of vehicular misconduct. Personally, I think a better sentence would be to be forced to ride with a traffic homicide unit for a set number of calls, and clean up the blood and guts from them.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #508

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
He should be forced to travel by bicycle or scooter for a year and see how it feels to have those cars whipping around him for a change! That sentance was WAY too light. I would expect far worse punishment if I was responsible for something that hurt someone else that badly.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #509
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
He should be forced to travel by bicycle or scooter for a year and see how it feels to have those cars whipping around him for a change! That sentance was WAY too light. I would expect far worse punishment if I was responsible for something that hurt someone else that badly.
Welcome to reality as the justice system sees it I had a cycling friend of mine killed outside of Morton, Il. Seems the 17 year old driver was text messaging some one and drifted over on to the shoulder and killed Ron. 90 days and some community service had a prior too for DUI...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #510
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Welcome to reality as the justice system sees it I had a cycling friend of mine killed outside of Morton, Il. Seems the 17 year old driver was text messaging some one and drifted over on to the shoulder and killed Ron. 90 days and some community service had a prior too for DUI...

Aaron
It is not a justice system, it is a legal system. There is no justice!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:55 PM   #511
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
We have DUI "community service workers" come to the fire station to work each weekend in lieu of jail time. Yesterday one of them drove to the station in a vehicle. License has already been suspended.
Enforcement is very difficult for these types of people. Officers must have probable cause (PC) to pull someone over. Many times they will use something very minor like a license plate light bulb out to pull them over. That is all they need, but without PC they can't do anything legally - as much as we may wish otherwise.
Dave
Old 05-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #512
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,

Terry and I were talking yesterday and we are both so relieved since the decision has been made. We both feel like a ton of weight has been lifted from our shoulders. He is even getting back to his usual self and me to.

Family came in yesterday to clean, sort and set up garage for the yard sale. Man did they do a great job. I had one bad moment when I was going through the Christmas decorations and nearly started crying, but I squared my shoulder and got back to work. I have the nativity scene my father made the last year he was alive and I asked my son if he wanted it, he almost started crying and said yes. My 3 yr old nephew was given the train set we had to go under the tree and he was thrilled. He kept calling them big boy trains, and can't wait for Chrisrmas to set them up.

Marie
Old 05-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #513
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I believe that half the fun of having is in the giving away, Marie. It sounds as though you have receptive, appreciative family and friends to gift Heart tugs and then joy. Best wishes in this project, and know that many of us are still "there" with you as you process through the downsizing to new beginnings. Do you realize that you are leading here on the forum, teaching how to make this big decision and then how to get it done? Not something that you asked for, but something that you are doing so well. Thanks. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #514
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
. . . Do you realize that you are leading here on the forum, teaching how to make this big decision and then how to get it done? Not something that you asked for, but something that you are doing so well. Thanks. ~G
Georgia, I agree with you completely. Terry and Marie are an inspiration for us all.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #515
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Ladies,

Thank you, and if one person on the forum is helped by going through this with us, then that's good, I knew at the beginning we would have some hard decisions to make, but the best part of the whole thing is we can do it together, and have buckets of support from friends and family.

I am actually very excited about our new adventure. We use to travel a lot and now we will get the opportunity to do it again. If we are traveling and need money, no problem, stop and work for awhile. I might look into medical transcription and do it while on the road. Who knows what adventure or excitement lies along the road. The point is why sit here and worry about it, get up and do it. Sooo we are.

Marie
Old 05-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #516
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Ok, I just want to know how all of this stuff got into this house. Did some of you donate stuff and not tell me?

Jeepers, I have been pricing and sorting all day and still don't have everything out. My sister is coming over tomorrow evening and helping.

Still having a hard time saying good bye to some of it, but I'm not sorry we are doing it.

Ladies, never tell your husband you are having a hard time deciding what clothes to keep and which ones to sell! I was sitting in the bedroom with half the closet ready to toss or sell and called Terry in to help. Next thing I know he is tossing stuff out of the closet. Turns out it's stuff he did not like. Fine with me, made my job easier. Plus I found clothes I didn't know I had. Do we really need that many shirts (50 at least) I kept 7 uniform sets, and have 12 to sell.

Rich Luhr gave us some pointers on the phone and they really helped as to how much and what types of clothes to keep.

I have really whacked the kitchen down to the basics. Why I thought I needed 2 mini food processors, 4 cutting boards, 6 sets of dishes, and 3 sets of pots and pans, I'll never know!

4 bar stools and no bar! Craft supplies out the whazoo, all in the sell.

I threw out some of Cookies old toys and boy was she upset, but she does not need 3 baskets of them.

We have decided to become downsizeologist, and help anyone else who wants or needs to do this.

Marie
Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #517
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
hey, now...there's an idea: Rich just bought a house that he needs to fill. Maybe you should just box it all up, and send it to him!!

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #518
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
We have decided to become downsizeologist, and help anyone else who wants or needs to do this.
We are trying to downsize too. The technique I have been using successfully (so far) is this:
  1. Work on one room at a time.
  2. Work on one wall within the room at a time.
  3. No moving to next wall until first wall is finished.
  4. Create four piles -- 1) a giveaway to friends/family pile, 2) a donate to charity pile, 3) a sell pile and 4) a throw away pile

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote