Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #351
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Terry,
I was just in your neck of the woods last week and was thinking about you. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

-Tracey

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #352
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Winter Haven , Florida
I wish you well, Overlander63...Gypsy

Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #353
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Continuing my tour of the hospitals in Florida today, I had to go to the emergency room to get the picc line removed, it had somehow gotten infected. I am now on very strong oral antibiotics, and will find out tomorrow if it has to be put back in for a few days. I'm thinking about starting to write reviews of them, anybody want a critique of them let me know...
Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #354
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
oh, MAN!!! don't those people down there wash their hands before doing this stuff???
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #355
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Oh Terry, that sucks! Take care of your stomach, those high-powered bug-killers can be murder on the gut.

As far as the reviews, maybe you could publish something like Fodor's Travel Guides, say Florida hospitals ~ the Suncoast edition.

Seriously, I hope the opportunity to review more facilities eludes you.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #356
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Oh Terry, that sucks!
Seriously, I hope the opportunity to review more facilities eludes you.
Sugarfoot,
You and me both!!! We are leaving for Tampa in a couple of hours to see the Orthopedic Dr. at 8am tomorrow morning. It helps Terry rest if I don't have to drive 3 hours before he sees the Dr.

The PICC line area started swelling yesterday morning, but functioned perfectly for the 12 noon dose of ABT. When the Home Health nurse came in, it was more swollen, so I called the Infectious Disease Dr in Tampa and they told me to take him to the ER here in Cape Coral. Left work, again, and took him in. Sure enough, by the time we got there it was red and hot. Dr did not feel that an infiltrate had occcured, but that it was cellulitis.

Yes, we do wash our hands down here before doing procedures. Terry had severe road rash with numerous open wounds and the Drs feel this is the way the bacteria invaded. It could have happened on the scene, any one of 2 surgeries, 2 ambulance rides, or it could have been his own body. Everybody has staff on thier skin. When a person becomes injured and debilitated it can enter the skin through the tiniest open area and become the bad bug. A break in techinque is not the only way to get it. It ususally does not happen that way. I have gloves here and everyone has to use them when dealing with his IV. I changed the dressing myself on Sunday utilizing the mask , sterile gloves and aseptic technique.

Thanks for all your good thoughts, prayers and wishes for us.

Marie
Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #357
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Make it stop!!!!

"They say" that you are never given more than you can handle...but, boy it sure seems like you have been dealt your fair share! Enough already!

Extra helpings of warm thoughtS & prayers are headed your way!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #358
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Trying again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
oh, MAN!!! don't those people down there wash their hands before doing this stuff???
For some reason, my computer,internet connection,forums, or something is not wanting me to post this. It was a rather long response, so I'll do the Reader's Digest version:
It could have been our dog climbing in my lap that caused this, she doesn't understand I am unwell, and she wants to be on me all the time. I will take a nap, and when I wake up she is in my lap.
On an interesting side note, one of my former trainees was my nurse last night, it is good to see the professionalism and attention to detail I tried to instill in him was retained. He was working his way through nursing school a few years back, and he is now a full-fledged nurse. Needless to say, I was well-treated.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #359
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It could have been our dog climbing in my lap ..... .
Nive try Terry - blaming the dog!

Have you been sneaking out and fooling with the AS dump valves when no one was looking? Next time wear a gown and cover your arms.

Hang in there and heal up - camping season is coming soon!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #360
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
sorry, folks...I meant no offense with my previous comment. I'm just venting frustration.

My FIL is down there in FL...has been dealing with a chronic illness that requires frequent similarly invasive procedures, and it seems that whenever he has to be in the care of a medical facility, these "procedures" inevitably result in a nasty infection. However, in the care of his wife (MIL), at home...this has never happened once. (in 3 years!).
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #361
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
To Terry and Marie,
best wishes and good health... ...soonest

DEAR CHUCK!
I can quite understand your frustration. MSRA is a real problem over here too! My wife, a nursing sister, tells me that at one time any nurse with MRSA would be sent off work until they were no longer infectious. They did that until they realised it was endemic and the whole of the staff would be permanently house-bound. The people who selflessly treat us are subjected to all the bugs we have. We can do our best to protect them and us but that's why it's called Multi-Resistant.
Marc
Old 03-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #362
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
sorry, folks...I meant no offense with my previous comment. I'm just venting frustration.

My FIL is down there in FL...has been dealing with a chronic illness that requires frequent similarly invasive procedures, and it seems that whenever he has to be in the care of a medical facility, these "procedures" inevitably result in a nasty infection. However, in the care of his wife (MIL), at home...this has never happened once. (in 3 years!).
Chuck, no offence taken. Hospitals are where all the people go when they are sick, so that is where the greatest concentrration of bugs would be.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #363
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I am coming to you "live" from a hotel near the orthopedic surgeon's office, where tomorrow morning I will be going to get the stitches removed from my latest misadventure. The hotel is needed because the doctor is over 2 hours' travel time away from home, not counting rush hour traffic snarls. We would have to leave home at 4 in the morning to ensure we would be there in time if we left from home. With any luck we will be home tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #364
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Best of luck pardner! Hope this is getting easier fo you!

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote