Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #481
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Talking Best Wishes

Terry and Marie... Go for it and don't look back.. I am a retired RegN and just work casually during the summer months we are home in Canada..We still have our small house and it is just the right size. Houses can be replaced but our lives and health cannot be. Making the decision must have been hard . Go and enjoy the wonderful world that awaits you. Our best to you both.. Maybe we will meet at the Sarasota Rally next year...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #482
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi all

We went to court today for the turd who hit Terry and the judge threw the book at the kid. I'll let Terry tell you the full story. But the judge was not pleased the kid sent his lawyer to get him off and did not show up himself.

Marie
Old 05-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #483
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
You mean that the knucklehead didn't even show up in court? I’m surprised the Judge didn’t issue a bench warrant to have him picked up. His life is about to get very interesting.

JIm

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #484
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Wow, hope your keeping good records, I can't wait for the movie...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #485
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Turd Time's a Charm, Marie!

Pardon the pun, but in honor of Terry, the Pun King, I thought I'd better jump on it before anyone else did!

Terry & Marie, hang in there! Looks like more blessings should be coming your way with all the friends and prayers you've got pulling for you.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #486
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Threw the book, picked it up, and thew it again

My Day In Court
By Terry

We made it to the courthouse this morning, only to find that the closest parking (handicapped) was 2 blocks away. How do these people that can't walk at all get to court?
So, I had to walk, two blocks there, and two blocks back. When I went through the metal detector to get into the courthouse, I of course set everything off in the place. They even Xrayed my cane, they thought I might have concealed something in it. A solid piece of wood. Okay, Xray away.
After a brief (for court) wait, I was called in to testify, and was met by the defendant's attorney. After he made a motion to dismiss for lack of evidence, and was told to put a sock in it, he grilled me about what I was doing riding a scooter where his client wanted to drive. After informing him in no uncertain terms it was a legally licensed motor vehicle being driven at the posted speed limit in a straight line without any interference from other traffic, he then allowed me to take the stand. Take the stand was maybe not the right phrase, as I had been placed in a wheelchair when they searched my cane.
After asking the attorney where the defendant was ("counselor, you mean to tell me your client can't be bothered to attend his own hearing?"), I gave my testimony. The judge didn't say anything, but as I told him what happened, and what the extent of my injuries were, and what the long term prognosis was, his face got redder and redder.
The attorney offered a thoroughly chastened "no contest", and the kid was sentenced to the maximum allowed by law. The judge said if he exceeded the sentencing guidlines, it could be thrown out on appeal, and he didn't want that to happen. So, the maximum allowed by law is:
90 day revokation of his driver's license.
$500 fine
120 hours community service, to be served in a trauma ward of the hospital where I was originally taken.
Was it enough? No, but that's the most the judge was allowed to do.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #487
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Fulltiming

My niece and nephew-in-law and great nephew are coming to visit... so I cleaned my Airstream to a parade rest including wiping down ALL of the interior Aluminum walls, changing the bed linens, checking all the cabinets and moving the household chemicals out of reach of two year old hands.

Three hours and spring cleaning is done. Normal weekly cleaning is 7 to 20 minutes.

Are you gonna love fulltiming? I think so!

BTW there's a lot of nice big Airstreams in Florida, find yourself a great one.

Paula Ford
Old 05-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #488
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again

BTW there's a lot of nice big Airstreams in Florida, find yourself a great one.

Paula Ford
Look at my new profile.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #489
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Terry,
I read your court experience post. I'm glad the judge gave him everything allowed, too bad his hands were tied by the wimps that make our "sentencing guidelines".
Hang in there,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #490
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
too bad his hands were tied by the wimps that make our "sentencing guidelines".
It didn't take a psychic to read between the lines. He wanted to do more.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #491
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Woww, Terry, what a day you've had..maybe there's a little justice afterall!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #492
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
No comparison with you accident, injuries, life-changing trauma, etc., but our experiences paralled yours in a few ways. Our daughter was hit by an uninsured driver in a stolen vehicle around the time of your accident, and her car was destroyed beyond recognition. However, unlike you, who was surrounded by air, she was surrounded by airbags, and survived with amazingly few physical setbacks.
How old was the kid that hit you? Our fun guy is 22, and we also just got the final sentence: full financial restitution (med. bills, car replacement) or 6 months in jail. Why is his punishment more severe? Amazingly, he was sober...(And of course we don't think it was severe enough.)
Always sending healing thoughts your way,
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #493
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
How old was the kid that hit you? Our fun guy is 22,
Janet
Ours too. The judge quoted the sentencing guidlines, and because he had the minimum insurance, it wasn't quite like no insurance. If he had, he would have lost his license until he had completely repaid all expenses incurred by me over this incident, including lost wages, and time and mileage to and from the doctor.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #494
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Full financial restitution OR 6 months?? Should have been both. Or more.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #495
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Agree with you Dave, for sure!!!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #496
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Man, seems so little for all you have gone through. Hope you guys are OK! Hang in there!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #497
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb
Pardon the pun, but in honor of Terry, the Pun King, I thought I'd better jump on it before anyone else did!.......
I have it on good authority that his kids actually refer to him as Attilla the Pun......

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #498
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
I have it on good authority that his kids actually refer to him as Attilla the Pun......
Ha! Cute one, Jim!

Terry, what a bummer of a sentence! Like all of us, I was expecting a sentence with a little less sugar on it. You're a good man, Mr. T, and it'll take more than a punk kid and a wimpy justice system to keep you down. Best of wishes and healings to you and yours.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #499
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hey Terry,just saw your (square) post.The main things to check that I've learned 'bout squares:Look from the inside round the corners and sides where to roof would connect to the side walls for water leaks.Check round the entry doors (Heavy rain may get in to the top of the doors).Also these square's need the roofs Kool sealed at the seems.(Do a better job than me .My Kool seal job is pretty sloppy .Check the window seals (tend to shrink),check to window open knobs,as they are cleaply made (I've replaced four of these #^%* things . I love my Squaregosy,It tows great,I avg 10.8 m.p.g @ 65 m.p.h.Best of luck to ya! Brian P.s. The only way I'd sell or trade mine would be if I find a near perfect 34'.....
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #500
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
fulltiming

We lived full time last year from June until Dec in our 83 30ft MH. Part of that time was spent in our backyard. Our house air conditioning cratered and the house refridgerator quit within a week so we decided that we could live in the MH while we decided on new appliances. We liked it so well that we just stayed until we had to move back to the house for all the kids coming for the holidays. Roy is ready to move back into the MH now. The only thing that was a problem for us was all of Roy' med. equipment. He has a cpap, nebulized and oxygen consentrator that all need to remain set up and operable. We hooked to house satelite with long cable. We were sorta crowded but it was certainly liveable. We love our Mh. We are on a hunt now for a new generator so we can do some traveling this summer. Limited income and health restrictions make this a very serious decision.

I am sure that you will enjoy your fulltiming if you can have enough income to not have to work full time so you can travel or stay close to family as your heart desires. We all tend to collect too many things. When we face health issues , things seem to lose much of their importance. Food shelter and love are all we really need . Love is the most important and you two seem to have love in full measure.

Best of luck to you in your new adventure.

Kay and Roy
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote