Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

When did Airstreams ...

become self-contained in the current sense of the word -- with full bathrooms and fresh, gray and black water tanks? In looking through some of the old sales brochures on the VAC site, I noticed that toilets and showers became an option on the Flying Cloud in '54. And I've seen mentions of Airstreams from the '60s (I think -- relying on memory here, a dangerous thing) that didn't have gray water tanks, just black and fresh.

When did these tanks and facilities become standard in the Airstream line? And can earlier Airstreams be fitted with tanks, or are portable gray tanks the only real way to go?

I ask as we continue our search for our first A/S.

Thanks for the guidance,
Mike
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:17 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think they got grey tanks until the early-mid 70s, I'm thinking 74 and newer? This was a big concern for us as well when we were looking for a trailer. Our 68 we ended up with doesn't have a grey tank, it does have black and fresh.

It doesn't matter if you are camping with hookups, because you just hookup the hose to the dump site and it drains grey water as you use it. When we camp without hookups we just use a blue tank, and it's really not as much hassle as I thought it would be. I'm glad I didn't pass it up because of that one issue.

Do some searching on the forum to find more info about adding grey tanks. It can be done, but it's a lot of work. Otherwise you might want to aim for a mid-70s model if a grey tank is a necessity.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
grey tanks were available in some 1973's (the bigger models, I believe), and became standard on all models in 1974.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
To be more specific 1973 excella 500 series
Old 08-22-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

A portable gray water tank will work just fine, I'm sure. Thanks for all the help ... and for a great forum. I've learned a lot already.

Mike
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote