Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
nds
3 Rivet Member

What's your thought on this?

Does anyone know if these are any good?

Screened in porch (awning) from Cabelas
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Nds,

The link does not work, their site is frames. If you type in the item number on the search box 0004180 you will get it.

I see these once in a while. The biggest issue is getting them to seal correctly on the curve of an Airstream. Zip Dee makes one that is designed for this but I have no idea the $$$.

This one could be made to work but I have heard that they are so time consuming to setup and tear down that unless you are staying in one spot for a couple of weeks it isn't worth it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
nds
3 Rivet Member

I checked the link and it works fine for me. Hmm.

The ad says that after the intial setup, it only takes 10 minutes to assemble. I know that's what they say, but it may not be all that much involved.

The price is what caught my eye. Quite a difference from Zip Dee.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Wink Looks good in mosquito country

The link worked for me. Cabelas is a great store to visit unless you are a member of PETA. Just cruising the parking lot alone can sometiimes be a shortcut to researching what you may want in SUVs and pickup trucks.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too have been kicking this idea around in my head since someone mentioned to me that this type of thing was avail. I had no idea Zip Dee also had a model.

For folks that boondock in remote forest type settings, these things could be VERY useful....now that I've already dontated several quarts of blood!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Those screenrooms are nice, whatever kind, but I agree that their best application is for extended stays (5+ days). For now citronella candles and D/W Off will have to do...IMHO! <$10.-
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
< $10.00

I hear that!

Eric
Old 01-24-2004, 09:51 AM   #8
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
For folks that boondock in remote forest type settings, these things could be VERY useful....now that I've already dontated several quarts of blood!
Actually, anywhere in the summer, you're going to have problems with fly's if not mosquito's. The thing I like, is being able to have your side door opened all the time, within the screened porch, without allowing fly's, mosquito's, moths, etc, inside. Depending on the time of year, it can also server for extra sleepping area on cots.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:06 AM   #9
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by nds

Actually, anywhere in the summer, you're going to have problems with fly's if not mosquito's. The thing I like, is being able to have your side door opened all the time, within the screened porch, without allowing fly's, mosquito's, moths, etc, inside. Depending on the time of year, it can also server for extra sleepping area on cots.
I'm with you. We'll be traveling with 3 boys of our own so if there are going to be any guests along for the adventure...SOMEBODY is going to end up in the "safari" room!

"It's an Airstream thing."

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
PluffMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by nds
Depending on the time of year, it can also server for extra sleepping area on cots.
I agree, it's a great place for the mother-in-law!

BTW, It's really great to see the Silver Belle back in action. I was heart broken to hear about what had happend to it and how sad it was that she wan't getting out due to poor heath..... any news how the old doctor and his wife are holding out? Sorry for the off topic.

Eric
Old 01-24-2004, 10:31 AM   #11
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Eric!
I know I'm new to this and I may hate the hassle of the screened-in room after I put it up once or twice but it sure looks good on paper! Dr. and Miss Winn are doing just fine. Heartbroken over having to give up Silver Belle, but doing just wonderful aside from that. (I've sent you a PM on that topic.)
Hubby and I have already learned SO much from this forum. We can't wait to meet all of you.

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
Old 01-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Screened rooms

Zip Dee has by far the best screened in room available.

They call it "Tropic Room."

Of course size determines the price, but for an example a 21 foot Tropic Room, which is for a 31 foot trailer, costs $900.00. They also have privacy panels for their room.

One of the best features that the Zip Dee Tropic Room has, is that it has a built in water tube at the bottom. Fill it with water, and the room adapts to the contour of the ground as well as keeps the room from being bothered by most winds.

The privacy panels totally block off the room for total privacy.

Not cheap, but along with other Zip Dee products, it's the best you can buy.

Sometimes, a discount may be available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:18 AM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Man, Andy, you had to post that didn't you... My wish list keeps getting larger!

Do you have a url handy for it? I just gotta see it! It could be next on my hit list after the trailer dolly!
Old 01-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #14
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Smile

Amen, Bruddah! Owning an Airstream RV sure do make the gift-giving all that much easier!! Christmas, birthdays...it's all going to be easy now!

-Elizabeth T. King
Old 01-24-2004, 12:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Silvertwinkie.

What a better way to spend money than on an Airstream and it's accessories.

Zip Dee does have have a small site.

http://www.zipdeeinc.com

Click on accessories to see the "Tropic Room".

Andy
Old 01-24-2004, 02:22 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As Jack Canavera would say....

Oh Gawd!

This is on the list...thanks for the link Andy.

Eric
Old 01-24-2004, 07:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
solar shade and lift arm assist

I have always wanted a solar shade to cut down on the lower sun and block some breeze and afford a little privacy. It seems like it would be less difficult and time consuming to put up and take down. Does anyone know how they attach?

The lift arm assist also looks like a good idea. I am short and find it hard to push the arms up high enough to clear the door swing, hubby needs to redo or I have to decide for awning and "squeek" through a partially opened door (not) or going without (that's it) Does anyone think these are really a help?

And since we are on the subject; how does the tropic room attach? Do you put velcro on the length of the awning?

I also agree that screen rooms are best left for longer stays--10 minutes--well not for us--ever--it took a considerable amount of time up and down on our previous campers. Anyone have an idea of a good place to store it too? (remember those same nasty bugs treat you like you are a sitting duck while you are working up a sweat installing it-they must "know" to get their licks in while the getting is good! LOL) But in my mind's eye I always see ourselves luxuriating in the wilds under the protection of the awning and screenhouse sipping a beverage of choice on our lounges, door open, dog outside, plenty of room--ahhhhh that's it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Inland RV Center, In
Silvertwinkie.

What a better way to spend money than on an Airstream and it's accessories.

Zip Dee does have have a small site.

http://www.zipdeeinc.com

Click on accessories to see the "Tropic Room".

Andy

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:50 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

All great questions that I too am interested in.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Zip Dee Tropic Rooms are attached with "snap" fasteners.

Andy
Old 01-25-2004, 02:12 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
zip dee solar shade

We bought the soar shade last fall, had it installed at zip dee.
The shade attaches with one way snaps across the front of the awning.
While there, I asked for a panel for an end as well. (I only wanted one panel, as I thought it could be moved from one end to the other as needed.) Seems many people ask for that, but the snaps used won't allow the awning to roll up.
Well, golly, gee, I said in my most erudiate manner, how about using double sided velcro, and hanging it off the arm? That's what I really had in mind.
Turns out they had some velcro, and they made me one! The slant matches the angle of the arm, so the bottom of it hangs level.
So the end piece of solar screen has sewn on two sided velcro to wrap around the arm. It folds flat, and I store it in the gaucho drawers.
I think it was well worth the cost, and does help extend the patio by keeping light rain at bay.
And the solar panels came about in a strange (for an American business) way .... we had committed the cardinal sin of leaving the awning fully extended when we left to eat. While gone, a nasty storm blew in. It trashed our awning, and several more. With friends leaving their dogs with us, we had six, standard poodle, show dogs in the trailer... were they all ever glad to see us return... there had been enough lift generated at some point to lift the trailer and slam it back down, breaking one of the stab jacks....anyhow, we planned on replacing our awning, as our insurance company said it was shot. Once at Zip Dee, they said, Naw, it ain't shot, we repair these! Shock! Shock! So the money we had for the new awning instead went for the solar screen and awnings all around! We also had the center support rod installed, and they updated all hardware at no charge!
Nice peoople to do busines with, where the bottom line is quality product and satisfied customers.
If you call zip dee for solar screens, ask for Linda, and remind her they made me with velcro to hang on an arm.

Elizabeth in Iowa