Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
What's special about your Airstream?

I'd like to hear from everyone about what is special about your Airstream. So, what is your favorite part of your Airstream? What makes it really special for you?

I'll go first...believe it or not, the sofa is one of the most special parts of my Airstream. It is my favorite spot to curl up with a book, to watch a movie or to chat with friends. I specifically purchased my Airstream because it had a sofa instead of a dinette. In 2002, only two Bambi's were manufactured with sofa's so I was lucky to find one of them (dtbw owns the other one)!
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:51 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Sofa

I have probably just about the only International AS around with a sofa, only I constructed my own by rotating the dinette seats against the streetside wall.

In addition, I now have a cork floor in all but the bedroom area and numerous small modifications to the cabinetry including a foldaway dining table.

I also installed 3 12v outlets, two inside and a weatherproof one outside. I installed the outside outlet on the battery box and the cord on my 12v compressor will reach any tire from that position.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 03:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Interesting thread you have created here Yukionna. I too would enjoy hearing about what makes everyone's Airstream special to them. Mine is sort of unique since it is a feature that I enjoy using everytime I enter my trailer, and yet I would rather if it wasn't there at all. Hmm. How could this be? Well, I have a love/hate relationship with the digital lock system that the previous owner installed by CUTTING A HOLE IN MY DOOR!!! I almost didn't purchase the trailer from him because of it. But now that I have grown accustom to using it, I would really miss not having it. No more lining up the kiddies and uttering death threats just to find out who didn't return the key to its hiding place (the one that everybody and their dog knows about by now anyway). And what about the time when the key broke off in the lock at 11:00 PM with the tired wife and starving kids standing in the rain behind me. Not a pretty scene! Sure, it has a 5 digit combination and I'm only able to memorize 3, but I just set it to the dollar figure I payed for my new tow vehicle. I will never forget that number. Also, it has deadbolt security and it doesn't even look so bad. So, would I install one on my next Airstream? No, I hate it! Do I enjoy that it's on my present one? Yes, I love it!

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I believe the previous owners of our Airstream, "didn't understand her." We took an old girl and breathed new life into her. New axles, tires, shocks, water heater, countertop, drapes, gaucho. I believe the whole coach is special to my wife and I.

When I got home from work last night, someone had left a business card under wiper blade of my truck. They want me to call them, as they have some questions about Airstreams. All kinds of neat stuff like that happens when you own one.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Brenda took out the spice rack above the stove....actually I helped...had a heck of a time getting it loose. She painted kokopelli (two using stencils) after filling the holes.

She says if she ever cooked anything that the steam/grease would just get the containers and shelf dirty.....so out it came.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:54 AM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Pick's absolutely right about PO's not understanding her. I don't think they understood her since she was born. Now I feel she's rightfully home. New axles, brakes, rims, 12 volt system, water heater, water system, new soft goods, etc. A complete make-over. Now the outside is slowly getting a polish. Of all of the improvements, modernizations, renovations and changes that have come about, its difficult to pick out the one thing that's unique. If I had to disclose, its probably the home 12 volt lighting system made by Juno called Trak12. I put a flush-mount ceiling plug just above the booth table and one under the overhead cabinet above the sink. They're hardly noticeable until you put in a light fixture. I have several different fixtures but this one is our favorite.

FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceilinglight1.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	3254  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:09 AM   #7
MrTimbo

1975 31' Sovereign
Newberry , South Carolina
Our 75 airstream is special because it belonged to my grandparents. In the mid 90's they got where they were not able to travel with it any longer due to their age. The airstream sat for about 3 years until my Grandfather asked if I would be interested in using it. He didn't have to ask but once, and we have been loving it ever since. My Grandfather turned 93 last month, when ever we see him the first questions are always about the airstream. I don't think we will ever part with our airstream, too many memories, maybe we can pass it on to our children one day.

Tim
MrTimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:15 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Overall my favorite thing about Airstreams is the silver gleaming bodies. They make fantastic lawn ornament. Specifically, the spare tire cover on the '59 is very cool and I've always been in love with the design of the water filter on the '61 that is perched on the sink. It reminds me of the Jetson's. The sense of community with Airstreams is amazing. Thanks to everyone who has made this forum possible. I've gotten quite an education the past few months!
cherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Probably my favorite feature is one that is of not real concern to those of you with longer coaches. In our 85 25' Sovereign, I removed the range and the double bowl sink and put in a new counter with a two burner cooktop, and a large single bowl sink. This opened up about 15" of counter space - up from approximately zero. You can see the results my clicking on my photos, below.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Whats Special?

My wife's uncle ordered our AS the day after Christmas, 1958, and took delivery on April Fool's day '59. After a couple of trips out west, it retired to the shores of Lake Mille Lacs in Minnesota. When Uncle Mark died it moved to the empty lot next to the 'family estate' in St. Cloud, where for 20 years it was the retreat for the grown-ups after Thanksgiving dinners and other important family milestones.
We got it when Aunt Grayce died about 10 years ago, and as we approach our retirement I decided it would be a great gift for my wife to make it roadworthy again. And a great legacy for the kids, now approaching mid-life.
I use Uncle Marks' name as a user ID to honor him, a gentleman I never met.
-Don in Wayzata
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:40 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What's special about your Airstream?

My '64 Airstream is very special to me in that it seemed to "find" me after we had been separated for nearly twenty years. It was purchased new by friend's of my family and I was invited on my first camping trip when it was brand new and I was five years old. Our friend's gave up camping in the early 1980s and sold the Airstream. It remained in the neighborhood for a number of years and then disappeared around 1990.

I finally decided that I could afford an Airstream in 1995 and began searching - - ran across a '64 Overlander that I just thought was very similar to the one from my youth. While traveling with the trailer a few months later I met some family members of the original owner who recognized it as the trailer from my youth as it still retained drapes that had been sewn by the original owner before the trailer was sold in the early 1980s.

I fully expect that the Airstream will be with me as long as I am able or care to travel.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:58 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My favorite feature is the dinette. We've also got a gaucho for lounging on, and the dinette becomes a lounging space too, but I love being able to eat indoors when the hornets chase us away from the picnic table, or playing a board game or canasta in the evening.

But what makes it special to me? Just that it's an Airstream, and it's mine now. It was built in 68 and I was built in 69 It's seen more of the country than I have, and it looks pretty good despite the miles. And it's previous owner loved it as much as we do, judging from how they took care of it, so it must have been special to them too!

And then there's the owners manual and warrentee card, with Harold's name on them. He must have been pretty happy the day he brought this little guy home. I wonder what kind of great adventures their family had with it?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
My favorite feature is also the dinette in the front. It's a great place to have friends over to eat when you're camping, or just sit and play cards or dominoes.

Next favorite would be the center double bed, which gives us a ton of storage and a cool place to sit and watch my "new" $5 yard sale TV.

Plus, I was blessed to get a great deal on it!

Don
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:41 AM   #14
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
My favourite thing about my Airstream, is the fact that I actually own it! It has been a life long (I am talking since I was 6) to own an Airstream after having been visited by my Aunt & Uncle in theirs. Over the years they developed footitis and worked their way through 3 trailers - 27', 29', & 31' and I never lost interest in Airstreams. When they finally sold the 31, and gave up trailering, I was not in the position to buy it from them, and have rued that day for some time.

In April 2003 we took delivery of our "Silver Condo" and love every minute we spend in it. When I joined the WBCCI I asked if my Aunt & Uncle's numbers were still available and now they are proudly displayed on our Safari - sort of a tribute to a great couple who introduced me to Airstreams.

If I had to name the one thing I like about it overall it has to be the demand hot water. We used to tent camp and then pop-up trailer camp, but anytime you wanted hot water, it was fill the kettle and light the stove.

My wife and I are looking forward to many years travelling and enjoying the Airstream lifestyle.

Malcolm & Katalin
kamadeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Los Angeles , California
Well I have to say the thing I most enjoy about my '66 Safari is tha it is my little sanctuary. I store it very close to my work, and have many times gone over there with a sack lunch, and just sat in peace in "my " Airstream. I love just sitting at the dinette, and looking at the beautiful woodwork, and amazing craftsmanship of the trailer, the way it was designed. I love the way it smells...kind of like home. When I am out with the family (wife and two little ones), it is just a place of comfort and fun. We have a cabinet below the dinette with just toys and books for my 2 1/2 year daughter, that she opens, and can sit on the floor for an hour and entertain herself with. The other day I had to drop something off at the trailer, and my daughter got out of the car hugged and kissed the trailer and said..."I love you". Nothing matches the joy and memories, that an Airstream can bring to a family. I makes us much closer when we are all inside, and cosy from the wind or cold weather. Airstreams rock!
Old 09-26-2003, 11:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
It's paid for

Once I finish a complete makeover it will be a brand new A/S good for the rest of my life time. Have axles, awning and frig to go. Everything else has been replace or repaired.
I LOVE MY AIRSTREAM
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 11:36 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Smile

It's the only one with this particular serial number!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
The top 10 things I like about our Airstream are.....

#10. The way it's built, having an aluminum frame instead of wood.

#9. When towing, it's very smooth.

#8. Less wind resistance.

#7. Its 20 years old and I expect to get many more years of service out of it.

#6. The wrap around rock guard on the front! You can see out but you can’t see in, in the daytime.

#5. I like the feeling of security when the door is locked.

#4. Everything about it tells me it's built solid. The sound the screen door makes when being shut!

#3. The space is utilized well, it seems as though every inch of space has a purpose without being wasted.

#2. I like the comments people make about it, most don't have a clue as to its age until I tell them. The comments have always been positive!

And the #1 thing I like about our A/S is...I like the feeling I get when I'm hooked up and towing the rig down the highway.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:26 PM   #19
Castaway

Appalachia , Pennsylvania
Re: What's special about your Airstream?

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
My '64 Airstream is very special to me in that it seemed to "find" me after we had been separated for nearly twenty years.

Kevin
Kevin,

This is Randy, I met you in La Veta. I just love that story of your Airstream!
Poor Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:44 PM   #20
Castaway

Appalachia , Pennsylvania
Green

One of the reasons I bought my particular Airstream was because it has DARK GREEN carpet. I don’t think I have ever seen another with that color carpet, although I’m sure there are others.

Many of the newer Airstreams I have seen had very light carpets, some even almost white! I knew it would never stay clean looking for long, being used to camp in. Also many from the 80’s have a lot of pinks in them, not really a great color for a “guys” trailer…

My trailer had the dark green carpet, which I also have in my house and I know how well it hides the dirt (not lint though).

My trailers “theme” will eventually lean towards the old Gypsy Wagons, which always fascinated me.

Here’s a few pillows I bought for it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pileofpillowsmall.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	3259  
Poor Royal is offline   Reply With Quote