Old 10-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
the old Nigerian scam strikes yet again

hi- now they've taken it to rental properties. My wife's family has a swiss apartment in the alps that she listed for rent on VRBO, a site we've had really good luck with on the other end, finding condos for our vacations. A week ago she had an inquiry from BRIGHTHALLAGENCY777 , wanting to rent for 40 days for a Christian conference! In november! Poor english syntax, big hurry, calling us brother and sister- some of the giveaways of this scam. I played him along, as on, telling him he could have it for free, if he donated to the Pakistan relief fund. He wrote back sayng the check was already made out to me, for too much, blah blah. That same day VRBO notified me of this scammer. Once they saturate a market, they move on. If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is. I had fun for a week though! -tim

tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:50 AM   #16
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I just sold my '53 Flying Cloud from an ad at I had an interested buyer from Michigan on the phone before I could edit the ad to get the photo up. She was here, cash in hand and took it home a few days later. She told me a friend who lives nearby me was familiar with the trailer, I presume because of the 'Crunch goes the Flying Cloud' thread about it here. I hope they enjoy it. It was a cool Flying Cloud! Last week I sold my Toyota pickup to a local buyer in 48 hours off Again, another easy, pleasant, honest transaction. I DID get one 419 scammer inquiry on the Toyota tho... I emailed the letter to Yahoo! and they closed that email account.

In July, I sold a '50 canned ham camper for a friend using my eBay account... it was a cool little trailer and had the original interior complete with yellow and white vinyl upholstery. The stove was like brand new. The birch had some stains from old leaks, but the trailer hadn't leaked in years, and it was one of those trailers that, once inside, you just couldn't wipe the smile off your face 'cause it was SO neat! The exterior had been painted in white latex house paint, but it still looked pretty good. I used the premium photo option with supersize and had a dozen photos up. I had a link to twenty-five photos on my Yahoo! photo account. We also made the trailer available for inspection and listed email addresses and phone numbers for contact. I encouraged questions. We represented the trailer as 'ready to camp in', nothing more.

Anyway, we listed it at $2500 reserve, which I thought was a little high, but it was what the owner thought she wanted. It met reserve the second day, and a 'sniper' bid in in the last few seconds at over double the reserve. He hadn't contacted either the owners or me prior to bidding. To his credit, he completed the transaction in a timely fashion and then sent a shipper for the trailer and it went out of state. He got it and FedEx'd ME the next day that he wanted his money back; that I'd misrepresented the trailer 'cause he wanted it to show with his restored trucks... blah blah blah... gonna sue me in his state for misrepresentation blah blah blah... (which, of course he could do... but undoubtedly would lose since the transaction occurred here and I have no 'point of presence' in his state, but would still cost attorney's fees to defend there.)

He beefed the transaction with eBay which subsequently closed for lack of action...

He got a lawyer there to send me letters, and I retained counsel here and have responded twice... and haven't heard anything recently... if I don't hear anything in the next couple of months, I presume it's a dead issue... but geez... what a pain! Over a trailer I didn't even own, set the sale price, or make any money on! AND, he's never re-contacted the actual seller of the trailer! Go figure...

I don't think I'l use eBay again for high-ticket stuff. Despite being as honest as possible, there's just no pleasing some people! At least if they come to you to inspect the item it's more difficult for them to claim that you scammed them somehow.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I new about the scams. We just sold our old camper on ebay in fact the guy just picked it up. By the way great guy paid cash. But anyway our old camper was on for 7 days with a reserve I had over 20 emails wanting me to sell it right out to them. To me that's just not fair. We also sold my car on autotrader they are to pick it up Tuesday and are coming from Kentucky, we had already spoke with our banker on how to handle the transaction a whole lot more money than our camper so we are doing bank wire from there bank to ours and I'm not about to sign that title over until I know it is in my account.
It's a shame what the world has turned into, us being from the south use to like just a good handshake you know.
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

I use Bidnapper. Have had it for about a year now and my win rate on Ebay has increased 100%. I feel there's so much bidding up that I'm very happy not participating in auctions until the last minute. I recommend it, though it costs. Tom

Tom and Frank
Evanston, Illinois
2004 Safari 28 ft Slideout "Lucy" 4 HI CAMP
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote