Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Happy Trails

2018 28' International
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
What's a Real Value for a Used Airstream?

Can anyone explain the huge difference in values between the NADA book prices for used Airstreams and the prices asked by owners in the Forum Classifieds? It seems the NADA values are much lower. Check it out for yourself.
bhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
If I were selling something I'd set the price and couldn't care less what NADA said.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
NADA may have a handle on the possible value of used cars, but they are out to lunch when it comes to travel trailers. Especialy vintage Airstreams.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well one that has been properly restored is going to be worth many times one that is going to take years and tens of thousands of dollars to get back into shape. The problem is you never know what you have until you buy it. Documentation is the key to finding value. Without documentation a rebuild is worth nothing. In fact, I would rather have one that has no been messed with than a hack rebuild. I don't know what NADA bases things on but it is probably based on average condition which for a 30-40 year old Airstreams means it is a wreck.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
So many variables go into an old / restored airstream that it's hard to know where to start. Sometimes they are inflated for no reason other than the person selling is under the assumption that just because it says airstream it's worth a ton of money... but other times they have had many many hours and new parts put into them so they are worth a lot more.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Probably also has to do with how NADA sets their prices. I used to think the book value of cars was determined by compilation of the actual selling prices. Now I think NADA just calculstes depreciation, probably at the same rate as for any other brand of trailer.
Good for the insurance companies. Maybe okay for a buyer. But the line I heard from a seller is, "well, just buy one from the blue book then."

I paid double or more over NADA for the 2 I have bought. Only way I can recover any value is through use, which I am working hard on.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I was told by an insurance agent that the NADA value for my trailer was based on the origional retail price. I have the origional paper work from the first sale of my trailer and it is almost the same as the current NADA price. Thankfully I was able to get insurance thru Foremost where we agreed on a value for the trailer in case of loss. Hopefully I will never have to test them or the policy.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
It's not even "restored" - our '95 books at a lot less than we paid, and we got a fair deal. I think NADA is applying some formula for how much they depreciate and not taking into account that they're Airstreams or something.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Happy Trails

2018 28' International
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
Still, folks, as much as I appreciate your collective responses, which I really do, nobody has indicated any way to price a used Airstream! It just can't be whatever the owner thinks it's worth, and apparently it can't be NADA values either. Does anybody have a reasonable formula or way to calculate used Airstream values?
bhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #10

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt
Still, folks, as much as I appreciate your collective responses, which I really do, nobody has indicated any way to price a used Airstream! It just can't be whatever the owner thinks it's worth, and apparently it can't be NADA values either. Does anybody have a reasonable formula or way to calculate used Airstream values?
Look at the classifieds and Rv trader and you will get a good idea of what the Airstream your looking at is worth the smaller ones 16' -19' will bring a higher price due to their popularity. Look at NADA to get the lowest price but expect to pay more. Sorry there is no clear way to price an Airstream.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt View Post
It just can't be whatever the owner thinks it's worth
Why can't it?
My son is looking to buy his first car. Book price on the year and model he wants is $1500 but he has yet to locate one for for under $3000. How do you deal with that when the seller says, "thats what I want". You either accept it or walk away.
If you are looking to buy one and its too much for your budget, haggle with the seller. If you get no luck reaching a price thats acceptable to you, move on to the next one.
As far as I am concerned, a seller has to justify his/her asking price to nobody, (but me, if I want to buy it) and can ask whatever they like.
Why should there be a formula? I, like many others have spent considerable hours on my fix up and I would like some of that reflected in my selling price (if I ever decided to sell) Now, whether you, as a buyer are interested in that is of no concern to me. You will buy it or not because
1. If fits your budget
2. It has renos carried out that you are not willing or able to do
If there is a formula involved then its just what I decided my hours and parts are worth.
When looking for our trailer, I saw many that in my opinion, were over priced, but without exception, they all sold.
Anyway, thats my 2 cents, FWIW (although I think my 2 cents is worth much more than book value)

Bex

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Go see as many trailers as you can. This will give you the best idea of what they are ultimately worth, and more importantly what you are willing to pay...
As my father always said, something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
The simple answer for the spread between NADA and a sellers asking price is "supply and demand". There are fewer and fewer decent vintage airstream remaining and a increasing demand. It has become a precious metal.

HOW TO BUY

Know what TT suites your situation best and what your are willing to spend on that TT. Educate yourself as your searching. What you will find is a direct correlation between the models, age and it's condition. At the end of the day, any owner that is or has used their trailer knows it's worth and the cost to own.

In the case of vintage anything, sellers set the price and the marketplace responds. No formular will nor should account for demand.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Keep an eye on Craig's list. You will see a full range of prices. Keep in mind the older AS , usually need new axles, brakes, frame work, etc... I bought my 1969 a 29' ambassador for $3000, but I have already put in $4000. Sadly most is structural and you can't even see it!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
The real value of a used AS or anything for that matter is what someone will pay for it. I know the OP was looking for specifics but with all of the variables who knows.
I had a Travco (all fibreglass) MH in the 90's and it was about 15 years old then. It took me about a year to sell it and after refusing to entertain some ridiculous offers some guy called me up and was frantic to buy it at full price. Travco Travel Trailers have somewhat of a cult following nowadays and some are really nice. Not as nice as my AS though

Dan
Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Rather than try and get an idea of what they are valued at, the best solution is to go looking at them and note the prices. I did that in my area at least and some online and bought one. My cost on an '06 Safari 25 Twin was not the best deal I saw but in my area it was great for the age and condition. There were three used ones at the same dealer and the other two were nice. The 2007 model parked right next to mine was a 25' FB SE with a dent in the back left side and other wear on fabric, etc but it was in many ways better condition. I wanted a twin and the price difference was $10K between the two. Some people would have jumped on the silver interior SE rather than my upolstered interior twin with sofa. It just depends. I liked it but not at that money difference.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Value is what you are willing to pay. Keep in mind that many Airstreams especially older and smaller sizes have become highly sought after collectables and are becoming harder to get. You are no longer just buying a used trailer.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Actually this thread prompted me to look at the classifieds for asking prices and then to actually check the NADA for my 1988, 25' Excella.

Hard to believe the "experts" think my trailer is only "worth" $2000.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
All I know is what I had,,, a SOB 5th wheel held together with 3/4" long staples that were all rusted out and wood I could not call good when it was new.. Balsa comes to mind but factor 6 years of water soaked it was black dust,..

After I got the walls from flexing in my SOB so I could sell it and salvage my investment ,,,, all that money went to find a useable Airstream that had metal for the body frame and NO STAPLES,,

As for the NADA book value,, I see some 2 year old SOBs over priced once you figure how much trouble free life might be left in them and how they are built to start with., Just my view anyway,,

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok, took me a little to find this again but this should help you a general price for AS. Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

Also it is what some ask's, take for instance Ebay. There is a 1954 for $28,000 unrestored. Not even worth it. Maybe if it was fully restored. There was a 57 whale tale for $5,400 buy it now. Looks like someone took it because i don't see it anymore.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote