Old 06-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Originally Posted by bhunt View Post
Still, folks, as much as I appreciate your collective responses, which I really do, nobody has indicated any way to price a used Airstream! It just can't be whatever the owner thinks it's worth, and apparently it can't be NADA values either. Does anybody have a reasonable formula or way to calculate used Airstream values?
Please forgive me if it sounds otherwise, but I'm not trying to be a wise a$$. A trailer is worth exactly what a buyer is willing to pay for it. And that contains a number of variables: desirability of the year and model; condition of the trailer; motivation of the seller; motivation of the buyer; general market mood; seasonality; geography; sales skills of the seller; and probably more that don't immediately come to mind.

Every transaction is unique. Successful flippers of cars and trailers understand this - that's how they make their living. For example, using just one factor, geography, it's possible to essentially arbitrage the difference in pricing from one region of the country to another by buying low in, say, Minnesota, and selling high in California.

Presentation, in ads and in person, is huge - the buyer is buying more than a trailer - they're buying the dream of the freedom of the open road.

So many variables... My sense is that the difference in how they are handled adds up to many thousands of dollars. There really is no one "true" number.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
They're worth more than you think

Here my story: I bought a new Airstream from the factory in February, 2006, a 2006 model, Safari 25' Special Edition, listing for about $55,000. I paid a little over $44,000, a very good price at that time. I sold that same trailer a year ago this month for $36,000. It had had two USAA insurance claims, one for about $14,000 and one for about $12,000. These were legitimate claims, but USAA paid for things like a whole new roof due to cosmetic hail damage, while no functionality was affected. I only spent perhaps $4,000 on repairs. The guy who bought the trailer from me couldn't have cared less about some minor hail damage.

I advertised on the forum here and on craigslist. I only wish everything I ever sold on craigslist would get people from all over the country clamoring to buy what I was selling like that Airstream. I could have easily sold 10 just like the one I had. My advice: advertise a high price! So I actually made a substantial profit on my trailer after having used it for 9 years. But, one reason I sold it, was a calculation that if it was involved in serious car crash, USAA would probably have given me around $5,000 for it. Insurance companies use NADA data for wrecked trailers, NOT real world transactions.

So, even though I'm no longer a trailer owner, my free advice to Airstream owners is this: don't think you will get a fair price from your insurance company in the event your trailer is totaled. I'd say you'd be lucky to get even 1/3 of the value. You are basically self insuring without even knowing it. On the other hand, if the insurance company doesn't "total" it, they will pay a huge amount to repair it. In my experience for a newer trailer, the damage needs to be not much more than about $15,000. I now remember on that first big claim I had that they said it was on the edge of being totaled but they wouldn't total it because I didn't want them to, was a good customer, blah, blah, blah.

Good trailering! I just got sent a link to this thread because I had signed up for it long ago. No more postings from me now that I "ain't got no trailer no more".

mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
I just ran my 2014 FC through the NADA site and it came back very close to my purchase price on average retail.

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote