Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
The real value of a used AS or anything for that matter is what someone will pay for it. I know the OP was looking for specifics but with all of the variables who knows.
I had a Travco (all fibreglass) MH in the 90's and it was about 15 years old then. It took me about a year to sell it and after refusing to entertain some ridiculous offers some guy called me up and was frantic to buy it at full price. Travco Travel Trailers have somewhat of a cult following nowadays and some are really nice. Not as nice as my AS though

Hope is not a plan.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Rather than try and get an idea of what they are valued at, the best solution is to go looking at them and note the prices. I did that in my area at least and some online and bought one. My cost on an '06 Safari 25 Twin was not the best deal I saw but in my area it was great for the age and condition. There were three used ones at the same dealer and the other two were nice. The 2007 model parked right next to mine was a 25' FB SE with a dent in the back left side and other wear on fabric, etc but it was in many ways better condition. I wanted a twin and the price difference was $10K between the two. Some people would have jumped on the silver interior SE rather than my upolstered interior twin with sofa. It just depends. I liked it but not at that money difference.

rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Value is what you are willing to pay. Keep in mind that many Airstreams especially older and smaller sizes have become highly sought after collectables and are becoming harder to get. You are no longer just buying a used trailer.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Actually this thread prompted me to look at the classifieds for asking prices and then to actually check the NADA for my 1988, 25' Excella.

Hard to believe the "experts" think my trailer is only "worth" $2000.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
All I know is what I had,,, a SOB 5th wheel held together with 3/4" long staples that were all rusted out and wood I could not call good when it was new.. Balsa comes to mind but factor 6 years of water soaked it was black dust,..

After I got the walls from flexing in my SOB so I could sell it and salvage my investment ,,,, all that money went to find a useable Airstream that had metal for the body frame and NO STAPLES,,

As for the NADA book value,, I see some 2 year old SOBs over priced once you figure how much trouble free life might be left in them and how they are built to start with., Just my view anyway,,

2012 Ram 1500 Tradesman Hemi, 4x4, 6 speed

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok, took me a little to find this again but this should help you a general price for AS. Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

Also it is what some ask's, take for instance Ebay. There is a 1954 for $28,000 unrestored. Not even worth it. Maybe if it was fully restored. There was a 57 whale tale for $5,400 buy it now. Looks like someone took it because i don't see it anymore.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I will warn readers that the NADA valuations are not theoretical numbers that mean nothing. Actually, they mean quite a lot and, in my opinion, mean that many Airstream owners are operating their rigs only partially insured.

Take my 2006 Safari SE. A tree fell on the unit in the spring of 2010 and did an estimated $15,000 damage. My insurance company, USAA said the trailer was borderline totaled. Prior to the incident, I estimated that my trailer was worth easily $32,000, based on ads and comments from others. However, USAA said that, if "totaled", they would pay me about $22,000, less deductible. They said that after the accident that the trailer had a salvage value of only $6-8,ooo. So the point here is that if you have a trailer anything like mine, you're probably self insuring about $10,000 of value.

I found out later that you can buy full replacement cost coverage on trailers but that option ends after five years.

So don't get in an accident and don't think those NADA valuations don't mean anything. It's not like USAA is some horrible insurance company. I think that they are about as good as they come.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
I will warn readers that the NADA valuations are not theoretical numbers that mean nothing. Actually, they mean quite a lot and, in my opinion, mean that many Airstream owners are operating their rigs only partially insured.
Yep, and this also comes up if you need a loan for buying it through your bank. However my bank (credit union actually) said that the book value on mine was higher than what the NADA website said for it - I have no idea what the discrepancy was.

Unfortunately, I doubt there's much we can do about either you said, replacement cost insurance is available, but many, many Airstreams on the road are ineligible for it.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Book value loan value and banks

When I purchased mine in Feb. they used loan value so the actual worth is calculated by the book value to some degree. Years ago I remember shopping for used Mercedes diesels and it was the same way - Nada retail said one thing, the dealers were way above it in ALL cases but come loan time, the book loan value was valid. It would seem that it is more a guide for banks.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1968 20' Globetrotter
Fort Collins , Colorado
When it comes to buying and selling most anything, the price is determined by what the seller is willing to take and the buyer is willing to pay. This is particularly true with anything that has passed a normal life span and is considered an "antique" or "classic".

I purchased a 68 Globe Trotter last week and I determined what I was willing to pay by starting with my budget and spending hours looking at classifieds - what was out there, what were people asking, what condition where they in, etc.

When it came to insurance I insured it for fix/replace up to XX dollars (what I paid for it). This was the hardest part since most ins. agencies wanted to use NADA and some wouldn't insure it at all.

Jinkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I just saw a 1973 29 ft amb listed on Craig's list for $30,000, not even restored..
Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
La Casita
1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
The fair market value is whatever a willing buyer and willing seller who are presumably reasonably knowledgable can agree on, with neither being under duress or obligation. So it depends on the trailer, its condition and location and how much you know. NADA is out to lunch on these trailers and their value could even be way high on a piece of junk.

We had a knowledgable appraiser value the Casita.
Dan & Liz H

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California

From N.A.D.A.'s website:

"...the National Automobile Dealers Association represents the interests of new car and truck dealers to the public, the media, Congress and vehicle manufacturers."

NADA is looking out for the interests of their members, not the public. When has a car dealer ever given you fair market value for your trade-in?
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #28
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Hi, I can't explain it but I noticed the difference. I don't know how to set my price. Any suggestions? 2014 19 Bambi Flying Cloud, solar panel. Excellent condition.

TheLu is offline   Reply With Quote