Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Whatever is on our Mind????

Here is the situation.

Everyone's life changes and yet another chapter of ours is now beginning.
In 2004 we bought our first Airstream - a little beauty 69 21' Globe Trotter. If you dig deep enough into the forums you can follow all our fun and fixups.

We got into the "Trailering" for the purpose of travelling to warmer climates during our long Canadian Winters. But now Peter is the new Recreation Facilities Manager for our Township - bye bye to his 6 weeks of vacation and back down to 2 weeks. But a fair trade for the 5+ hour drive to and from work everyday he has done for the past 6 years. But that means sianora to the 4 week southern holiday in the Globe Trotter!

We are back to the summer vacations. For some of you who know - we live in a summer vacation area thus the need for many of you to hit the campsites during the summer - we have in our back yard. We left our boating days behind when we purchased a waterfront property and quickly realized that our travels stopped because we did not need to venutre beyond our bay to have fun on the water! But we always looked forward to a vacation south during the winter - the only time we had a chance to really get away from where we live.

So that is our case work up - now onto the delhema

We have a 1969 Globe Trotter with lots of TLC put in. We have a 1961 Overlander with brand new running gear and patiently waiting for her refit with the parts from the 1999 Excella. We have a bucket full of excellent parts we would not need from the Excella. We have a 20 foot Cruiser that is great for day trips but now not enough boat for a 1-2 week vacation. We are in the midst of preparing to build a home for our parents down at our waterfront lot which will put us building during the winter, spring and possibly into next summer - with us doing most of the interior and exterior work.

What do we do???

Sell the Globe Trotter and continue onto the 61 Overlander to have a trailer to use if we need a break.

Sell the Boat and from the proceeds trade up to a 24-26 Cruiser.

Sell the 61 Overlander and Excella Parts - keep the Globe Trotter cause she was our first born.

Sell all four where they are as they are including the Boat. Buy a bigger boat now and buy another Airstream in about 5 years when we can go back to vacationing in the winter?

Any and all thoughts, opinions, worldly advice or common sence direction would be welcome - cause we have a lot of toys sitting here now that will not get used - and no time to get them finished.

And many of us here know what happens when they just sit around! When they could be giving that special person/family a taste of the joy and fun we all get out of these Airstreams.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.....

PS the next step will be fixing a sale price to all this stuff - how on earth do we do that???
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Lightbulb Liquidate!

Sell it all! ... simplify your life. Focus on what's most important to you, like the parent's new home and setteling them in.

Unless you have a BIG barn, and can just stash the rolling stock for 5 years, you can always go out and buy more stuff, with the $$$.

Besides, your tastes and desires will most likely change over that period of time and your focus may well be in a totally new direction.

Myself, I am on the verge to quite camping all together ... and just take a nice little Jaguar roadster, my girl ... and go visit all the great old lodges within the USA. Drive a lovely automobile during the day, and be pampered in famous places (with the views of the places I used to camp in) from the room.

Good luck with your decision (s) !

PS. Well, with further thought ... keep a vintage Chris Craft or Hacker to play with in the summer on the lake. It will relieve your repair and maintence addiction - with pleasure!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
From the deep South, maybe you can plan for the future. There is no reason you can't take the Overlander for weekend trips, since you have all the stuff to complete it. If your current boat is too small for your use, why not sell it, and the (gasp!) Globetrotter, finish rehab on the Overlander, and use the leftover proceeeds from the sale of the boat and the Globetrotter to purchase a larger boat.
Then, when y'all start getting longer vacations again, you can either take the bigger boat, or the bigger Land Yacht.
Just my opinion, and not trying to tell you what to do.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario

But Overlander 63 - I am asking you to tell us what to do so keep it coming.

ABA....your plan of simplifying sounds very "rich" right about now.

The trailer that we can see still having the most use over the next few years is our 10X5 1500lb landscape trailer. Which brings us to the Tow Vehicle that I did not mention in the last post.

If we toss in the towel on the Airstreams and the Boat - we would have no need for the Yukon either - and could down size that again back to a V6 - to save another chunk of change.

What does a GMC Yukon Loaded with only 100,000 Klm (60,000 miles) on it go for these days - old style 1999. She is a beauty too.

Boy so many things to think about.....

I might just pull up one of those lodges with you ABA... and then fly down to Florida with OV63...
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Lightbulb Let's make a deal ...

Tell you what, GT6921 ...

I was going to keep all my stuff, and take off for the lodges. After reading my own reply to you ... & now that I think of it ... I may take my own advice and liquidate. I absolutely do not need all this stuff. Some of which I haven't even seen for 3 or 4 years!

Here's the deal: You sell all my stuff, and I'll sell all your stuff !!! You keep the $$$ I bring in, and I'll keep the $$$ you bring in.

Since I can't seem to part with anything, I have a suspicious feeling you must be the same!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If your property flooded or burned down....

What would you save? What would you abandon?

Stuff is just stuff even if it's great stuff like a restored vintage Airstream. You'd cheerfully watch your Airstream go up in smoke IF it allowed you to save your child's life... or possibly even just your family pets lives.

Put yourself mentally in the place where you HAVE to simplify..... You need a kidney transplant, etc. You get to keep 1/3, 1/4 or 1/10th of your stuff; the rest you have to sell to pay for the transplant, and you must have it all done within the next two weeks because you never know when a compatible donor will come available. You've got to have the liquid cash ready if the donor shows up soon.

Okay.... NOW it's simple. Do what your best instincts tell you to.

I would personally keep the "firstborn" Airstream because it's ready to go, and a perfect weekender. Even if you don't get long vacations, you surely can take some three day weekends, or possibly set it up on a vacation campground and drive or fly there for mini-vacations, but that's my choice.

You need to do what's right for your family.

PS: Your life could also change again in a year or two, so you COULD find yourself with 3, 4 or more weeks vacation at yet another job. The future IS unpredictable, so make the best choices you CAN for now, then let it go.

I sold my big old house - and I've never regreted it. I live in my Airstream. I dust in 10 minutes, I sweep in 5. I did spend two hours with a microfiber cloth polishing the interior aluminum.... but I figure I'll have to do THAT about 3 - 4 times a year. Less IS better. Now my possessions don't own ME.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Too many toys and stuff

Call me about the Globetrotter. I will simplify that part of your life.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Smile I know what you are going through....

We are reaching that stage in our lives too. We have accumulated way too much stuff and haven't seen most of it for at least two years. It's either stashed in the barn or the attic. I have begun to declutter with a vengeance.

We have been making some hard decisions too. We were going to build a new "retirement" home that would be all on one level, with wide doorways, etc. but have decided to build on to our current home to make it a little more "old people" friendly. By doing this we are achieving two goals - not going deep into debt for another home and we can spend more money on getting the AS up and running. We are still considering spending most of our "golden years" in the AS traveling, so why not spend the big bucks on making it the best it can be. After all, while traveling we may find a place we would rather live. Just because my family has been in this county for 5 generations, doesn't mean I have to stay!

I agree that stuff is just stuff. We know that if there is a fire or tornado, the first things we grab are pictures and our genealogy back up discs. Everything else is replaceable. Life is too short to agonize over it.

My only other comment would be is --- if you have the GT the way you want it and enjoy it's ammenties, would you really be able to find that joy in another trailer sometime down the road? And they sure won't be any cheaper!!

Good luck with your adventure.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote