Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2005, 04:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
What years and what models of AS sleep 6 people?

I am starting to plan for buying an AS in the next few years as well as starting my family. We already have one little guy who will be RVing with us but we are probably going to have a couple more. I know I cannot afford a new AS so I was wondering what years and models can sleep 6 people? I was looking at the 2005 models and noticed that the Classic 30 had a rear bedroom (queen sized bed), a dinette (which converts to a bed) and the front bed. The 2005 International 28 CCd also has a simliar lay out. When did these layouts become available? In the 70's, 80's or 90's? That is the floor plan that I am leaning towards. I like the idea of mom and dad having a separate room (like my parents have on their fifth wheel. Thanks for your help!

Rod
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Since you're a "few years" off in the future..
why not start saving now for the 28 CCD now~?
By then, an excellent used unit should be had..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What years and what models of AS sleep 6 people?

Greetings Rod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Blazerod
I am starting to plan for buying an AS in the next few years as well as starting my family. We already have one little guy who will be RVing with us but we are probably going to have a couple more. I know I cannot afford a new AS so I was wondering what years and models can sleep 6 people? I was looking at the 2005 models and noticed that the Classic 30 had a rear bedroom (queen sized bed), a dinette (which converts to a bed) and the front bed. The 2005 International 28 CCd also has a simliar lay out. When did these layouts become available? In the 70's, 80's or 90's? That is the floor plan that I am leaning towards. I like the idea of mom and dad having a separate room (like my parents have on their fifth wheel. Thanks for your help!

Rod
General statements about Airstream floorplans can be dangerous particularly when going back more than two decades as during the 1970s and before it wasn't uncommon to find coaches with numerous variants of the published floorplans. In general, however, the dinette with front lounge floorplan didn't become common until the early to mid-1980s. In fact, the mid-bath floorplan didn't become a relatively common feature until the late 1970s. During the days of the rear bath floorplans, the six sleeper coaches usually featured center twins with hammock bunks above each of the center twins with the front lounge and either a free-standing drop-leaf dining table or a fold-out credenza table for dining. Some of the 1970s Sovereigns had a pair of front lounges with one running across the front and the second running along the streetside wall.

For the 1970s (and earlier) era coaches, you can get an idea of the interior arrangements by checking the photos in the archives on R. J. Dial's website using the link below:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

Another good method for getting acquainted with the various floorplans is to attend one of the larger WBCCI rallys. Many of these rallys will feature a either dealer display of current models or a factory display; in addition, there may be a Vintage section where you will likely find a scheduled open house where the public is invited to tour the coaches - - the Vintage open house is often a good way to get first-hand information about the livability of a particular coach's floorplan. You will likely find that there are many of us who are quite adamant about our preference for particular features - - for instance, I have a strong preference for the rear bath due to its more generous proportions.

Good luck with your investigations and research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

My mother and father factory-ordered their 1973 31-footer with the mid-ship double bed and the L-shaped gaucho up front. In addition to that, we got the canvas hammock bunk for over my Mom and Dad! Usually, whoever drew the short straw got stuck up over Mom and Dad! Most of the time it was me. I remember stepping on Dad's belly several times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom!
There was 6 of us then. I had an older sister who slept on the front couch, which does not pull out. My two brothers slept on the side couch, which does pull out.
When I turned 16, my one brother and i bought a 1963 Bambi just to get out of our parents A/S! Man, that was fun!
If you want a 6-sleeper, look for one with the L-shaped gaucho. I have seen a few of them before but they are getting harder to find as they get older and people renovate them.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Our "04 25' CCD is supposed to sleep six- but the dinette seems a little short to me- great for kids. The front double (couch) is great for tall people. What's nice is everyone can get to the bathroom easily. silver suz Haven't travelled yet- still de-toxing the insides for me. One thing of note is REI.COM has a great set of dishes- 4 square plates 4 square bowls, 4 cups a salad bowl and a server- packs up into very little space and comes in orange- perfect for my CCD and blue. Square plates look very kewl. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Depending on how old the kids are the 25' with bunk or without bunk will sleep six. It also has the storage needed for 6, depending on how much stuff you bring for 6. That said, 6 folks will clearly get in each others way, particularly on rainy days.

I've looked around and found that the 30' Safari (with bunk) will not only keep all the troop comfy, but also might be a bit better for 6 folks. Of course a 34' would work too, but I think the 30' Safari would be the best fit for sleeping capacity and real estate for actual real world living of 6 people on a vacation.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:46 PM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
72, Go take a look at PizzaChop's Pictures.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote