Old 02-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
What to look for?

There is a possibility that we may sell our mpg sooner than expected, and replace it with an Airstream. The price of the "new" Airstream will have to be less than what we get for the mpg, and the gross weight of the Airstream will have to be about 5000 pounds or so.

I suspect that there aren't many trailers that will fit this and have a decent bathroom and at least a regular double bed.What might fit?

We bought the mpg a little over a year ago as a "learner" and planned to keep it until we were ready to buy our full-time coach, sometime in 2014. Recently a friend expressed very strong interest in buying our mpg. Unfortunately, there is no money for a newer pickup that could haul a heavier trailer, so the Mountaineer will have to handle the load. I think that it could probably handle a bit over the 5000 pounds, but I don't really want to be right at the GCW, so I'm being a bit conservative here.

Any ideas?

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The 19-foot Airstream Bambi will probably meet your weight requirement; since it is around 4,500 pounds, if my memory is accurate. Also, it has a separate shower and toilet; but it is still a little cramped. The bed is close to "full" size, but you lose a little bit due to one corner being rounded off, and I think the mattress is six inches shorter or narrower (can't remember which).

The problem will probably be the price. I assume you are prepared to purchase used, which may require some extra work to make the Airstream look "new".

The MPG looks interesting and appears to be a fairly new design, so I'm assuming that your trailer is fairly new. Is there a reason you want to sell it so soon and switch to an Airstream?

MPG travel trailer video:

Old 02-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
mpg? Motorhome?

(Edit: Thanks for video posted above)

David I'd cross-search posts and threads and published articles by Andrew Thompson (AndrewT, here) for info about the Mountaineer and it's sibling. More than anything else to understand any shortcomings seen via CAN AM RV analysis. From not only the perspective of towing, but straight from fuel economy analysis does aerodynamic resistance make a bigger difference than weight, per se, all other givens applying. The quality of the hitch rigging means most.

I believe there is some elbow room on your chosen TT weight number. As one searches for used TT's -- keeping in mind, IMO, TT weights up to .85 of GVWR -- a little extra room may keep an otherwise suitable choice from being rejected. Or, that you already know that you and yours only load about 300# of stuff onboard, thus avoiding heightened TT axle and TW's. More than anything, a brief telephone consult with AndrewT would clear up things.

I believe you'll also want to declare the age range of TT for which you are looking. Big differences going back to the early 1980's from today. Also, what sort of use? Weekends? 3-week trips? How many people and pets? Etc. There certainly is a large range of opinion available to you here, but some narrowing of choice/use would be useful.

If it were me I'd be southbound ASAP on IH-65 to Lake Charles, Louisiana and get the 1968 Streamline Prince for sale there. A neighbor of mine has a '66 and it weighed out at 4,200-lbs even after an uprgrade heavy restoration. More than unique.

1968 Prince $10.5k

CL ad for same

Changing interior paint, flooring and upholstery is the easy stuff. Gotta love the choice of those Ford Ranger alloy wheels on it.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Hmmm. This one is tough, primarily due to trying to fit in the budget. You can find new leftover or slightly used mpgs for around $12k, from a quick online search. That budget puts you in a vintage Airstream, probably older than the mid-1980s.

The other challenge here is the bed. While many vintage Airstreams had a pull-out bed that made a double, it's not until modern Airstreams where you got a walk-around "queen."

I went from a nearly new T@B to a vintage Airstream Argosy. It's a rather different ownership experience, dealing with restoration and repair as well as using it. On the plus side, the older trailers are lighter, so you could tow a 23-25' trailer within the weight limits of the Mountaineer. (Not sure of the year of your Mountaineer, but the later ones with the independent rear suspension are pretty good tow vehicles as per Andy Thomson (mentioned above) - won't be fast with the V6 though.)

If you spend more, you might find a 23' Safari from around 1999 or newer, but they're pretty rare. The next step up the price ladder would be a 22' CCD from 2002-2006. They're fully modern, and they have a double bed in front (but a tiny bath), but they also are known for having OSB floors that often rot from leaks as well as a frame that's on the weak side. Those trailers are usually in the low-$20ks.

I think you should maybe stick to the original plan - save up the $ and wait until 2014 to get a newer AS (and maybe a tow vehicle that you'd feel more comfortable with) that fits your wants for the long-term. A newer used trailer, like a 2008+ 23FB (front walkaround queen, big bath), much more closely fits your wants in floor plan. Good luck!

Tom
Old 02-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I would suggest that you look into a restored vintage unit. Much lighter weight, and you can have whatever you wish as far as interior layout and finishes are concerned. There is not much comparison (as far as size is concerned) in the rear bath of a mid sixties Safari or Tradewind with ANY bath configuration of a newer Airstream.
Go Vintage!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We hadn't planned on selling, but a member of our church has asked about the mpg a couple of times, and recently he said he wanted to buy it this fall. Of course, we haven't talked money yet, and that may scare him off.

Yes, the mpg is quite new. I think 2010 or 2011 was the first year for them. Overall, it fits our needs, but a real bedroom and larger bath would really be nice. We have a 181, for those who want to know what it looks like inside.

As for use, mostly it will be just the two of us and one indoor cat. Once in a while one of our daughters might be with us, but that's it. Use will be a few weekends each year and one or two longer trips. I'd really like to take more trips, but as the sole organist and choir director, I don't get many Sundays off, and I'm still teaching for 3 more years.

Earlier today I sorted the Classifieds by price, and one of the lowest priced trailers was a 25 foot. I was wondering if we could go that big with the Mourtaineer. The GCWR is around 11,000 pounds, and as I recall the car itself is around 5000. Leaving 1000 pounds for people, fuel, tools, etc. and a margin is where I get the trailer GW of 5000 pounds.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Lance, I kind of like the vintage trailers, but how happy will someone who is six feet tall be in a rear bath?
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm sure Top will answer, but the older vintage bathrooms with tubs are decadent, and should let you stand up in the shower far enough away from the end cap to avoid excess bending...

Gee, there's a nice 68 Overlander in the forum classifieds in Florida, and they only weigh about 4200 lbs empty...

Tom
Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
On vintage trailers, a Streamline or a Silver Streak no problem for bath size at all. At 6'2" I turn my head slightly sideways at most. Avion is likely the same. A/S is the small one through the 1980's. (And don't forget 80" twin beds. I just ordered one up for a '76 SS).
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Rear bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Lance, I kind of like the vintage trailers, but how happy will someone who is six feet tall be in a rear bath?
My husband and our son are both over six feet tall and do just fine in our rear bath 80 Excella. The shower is pretty tight for anyone over 3 feet tall, but it is possible

Sue
Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Well, I'm a tad over 6' and I shower in our rear bath '72 Ambassador all the time. No problems at all. I haven't ever showered in a newer side bath trailer, but when I stood in one, I got the feeling that I'd not be too happy.
Nearly all the women that look at our Ambassador say "Wow! What a HUGE bathroom!"

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks, all. It looks like an Airstream might be a viable option for us if the mpg sells. If we actually do this, we won't be buying our full-time coach now, just a step up on the learning scale.

I've read frequently that full-timers often trade 3-4 times within a fairly short period of time before they get the right coach. I was hoping to avoid that, but, hey, if someone wants to pay top dollar for the mpg, well, both my wife and I have always loved Airstreams, even if neither one of us has ever slept a single night in one.

Thanks again. This forum is the main reason that we would consider an Airstream.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I'm 6'2" and I shower 100% of the time in our '71 rear bath (and prefer it to the newer units because of the side to side space...meaning I can put my elbows out and not hit a door).

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Once you go aluminum aero there is no going back.